how can she know i have 2 accounts

MillieTG

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

34 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Because you told her other account that you had 2 accounts?

Or because you told somebody who told somebody who...

But as Lucia said, there are also lots of tells for those who know how to read them. Every alt you have is you after all and your personality will always shine through.

• Like 2

Is there a way to tell if a user has more than one account? Only Linden Lab can tell with certainty, anyone else is guessing - period.

Oh sure, some will say there are ways to tell and then list off their criteria but in reality .... they're simply guessing.

In most cases, such guesses ought to be laughed at and disregarded (by everyone) but there are exceptions - known troublemakers/drama mongers trying to get around a block or pretending to start fresh for example (and only then, the worst of the worst, insidious and manipulative types).

2 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Not even LL can know for sure unless you tell them.

While somewhat true (they have no way of knowing if it is just someone sharing your computer or not if going just by IP/MAC) the average user is likely going to fill out the Name and Address fields as well as giving them the same e-mail they used for their original/other accounts so "unless you tell them" is rather moot for the average user.

10 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Not even LL can know for sure unless you tell them.

They seem to be pretty good at banning the alts of some perma-banned members despite people taking some measures against it. I didn’t remain friends with the person so for all I know they eventually succeeded, but I watched alt after alt of one person get the hammer after the first one did.

• Like 1

Wasn't there that sploder that had the security built into it that would match an ip and connect the dots from two or more accounts?

I remember the guy that made it going after everyone in the greenzone group..He put us all on his list and any sim that used the sploder would kick us..I was kicked one time....one time..hehehehe

But it could onnyl catch you if you went there at separate times with your accounts..so if your alt never went there and you had all media and music off and didn't try to play..they wouldn't know..because to play you had to expose your ip to them..

but if your name was already on their list it didn't matter,they could still boot you from the land..

That's kind of what I remember and that was a long time ago ,so it may not even be around anymore,but maybe the security part is..

16 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Wasn't there that sploder that had the security built into it that would match an ip and connect the dots from two or more accounts?

I remember the guy that made it going after everyone in the greenzone group..He put us all on his list and any sim that used the sploder would kick us..I was kicked one time....one time..hehehehe

But it could onnyl catch you if you went there at separate times with your accounts..so if your alt never went there and you had all media and music off and didn't try to play..they wouldn't know..because to play you had to expose your ip to them..

but if your name was already on their list it didn't matter,they could still boot you from the land..

That's kind of what I remember and that was a long time ago ,so it may not even be around anymore,but maybe the security part is..

RedZone/zFire Xue got the boot in 2011. However, there is a certain sploder that does use IPs "to prevent alts from 'rigging' the pot". I want to say it's associated with the creator of CDS but my memory is a bit fuzzy on that. There's a Monkey in there somewhere though.

ETA: Voodoo comes to mind. voodoo.gif.1a9359641bafb8cea13ad4f5d5e0dc32.gif

Edited by Selene Gregoire

23 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

RedZone/zFire Xue got the boot in 2011. However, there is a certain sploder that does use IPs "to prevent alts from 'rigging' the pot". I want to say it's associated with the creator of CDS but my memory is a bit fuzzy on that. There's a Monkey in there somewhere though.

ETA: Voodoo comes to mind. voodoo.gif.1a9359641bafb8cea13ad4f5d5e0dc32.gif

That's the one.. M.Wonder hehehe

I remember asking him a question about if me and my husband wanted to play..we would both get banned because we both had the same IP and would be considered the same user..

Redzone was much worse.

I don't even want to get started on that one ..hehehehe those days are over for me..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fauve Aeon said:

They seem to be pretty good at banning the alts of some perma-banned members despite people taking some measures against it.

I also have the impression they usually get it but not always. I'm not going to give examples of course but I think most of us know a few.

Edited by ChinRey

18 hours ago, MillieTG said:

Hi I was chatting with a young lady today and she knew I had 2 accounts and many of the details.  She was very rude and may have been just guessing but I was curious, is there a way now to know?

Doubting but curious 

MillieTG

Was it a DJ?  They get your IP when you listen to their stream.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Personally, I take it as a “given” that anyone over a year-old in SL has alts. There are exceptions of course.

I shifted to an Alt as my Main after running foul of a persistent Stalker (LL could do nothing about), so “Alt” is not a dirty word to me.

Occasionally I run into people who play alt-games, but I don’t devote a lot of time to playing Spot-The-Alt.  I’m here to relax and have fun, I have enough professional paranoia in my RL 🙂

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f293920a6d3bb2e44104f

Edited by AmandaKeen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.