Necro threads - what's the big deal?

BobbyGeorge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Because there are things that many of us have said in the past,that we just wish would never surface again! \o/

It's like,OMG I totally forgot I said that!! How young and stupid I was back then!

tumblr_pit462mVJP1s39hlao1_500.png

hehehehehe

Shhhhhhh! They may have forgotten that aspect of it. Don't encourage them to go hunting. :D

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

Its particularly problematic in the technology threads, where someone pulls up some ancient issues from years ago and has some similar problem. Chances are that actual thread is entirely irrelevant to the new problem.

I think locking is good. It leaves the history up. For social threads, this (and plonk).

CB804F31-A147-442A-A328-A6BDBDF890A8.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Oh, the irony... 😂😂😂

It's not ironic at all. I'm not singling anyone out, not responding to anyone, and not mentioning any threads in particular. Which is exactly what happens when someone dumps all over a poster who bumps an old thread. 

There are plenty of good reasons to bump an old thread, for an update, for example. The original information may be out of date but can often give someone context or some historical background before delving into what's happening now. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

The fact is that generally on the internet, resurrecting old threads is preferred to starting new ones if it's about the same topic.

The "necro" complaint is more an SL forums thing, and some other, very niche, ones.

I've never noticed its generally prefered on the internet and it certainly doesn't work out for the SL forums. What is indeed prefered on the internet is when people take the time to check if their question has been asked in the past and first read those thread before asking again.

SL necroposting looks like this:

- two year old drama getting revived for no reason

- thread from 2014 about someones connection issues getting a comment saying "I can't log in" (no further information given)

- answer section getting messed up by someone using another persons question to put their own question in the comments

- Replies to 5 year old partner search threads

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.