Flickr

usedcars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, usedcars said:

Can i post pics in Flickr of my avatar and another without permission?  Does that apply to my profile feed in SL??

You can post them anywhere, except when the pics are taken in parcels where the land owner expressly forbids it. Unlike most other games, copyright of your snapshots is owned by you, not by the game creator.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

See Second Life Terms of Service section 2.5, a.k.a the  "Snapshot and Machinima Content License."

Basically if it was taken in a publicly accessible place you can use the pic as you see fit.

This is correct.

36 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

[...] except when the pics are taken in parcels where the land owner expressly forbids it. 

This is only correct if you post to a Linden Lab-controlled property such as these forums, otherwise refer to the above.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

Just now, Lindal Kidd said:

If the picture conforms to General maturity guidelines, and if you have followed the LL photo and machinima policy, yes.

Wow. I think I knew this, but had forgotten. It's certainly logical.

I have some stuff crossing my feed that is about as "not-General" as you might imagine.

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

When you say "my avatar and another without permission", do you mean you don't have the consent of the other avatar in the photo to post the photos? 

This is a question that often crosses my mind when seeing some of the things, especially the graphic or explicit photos, that appear on my Flickr feed.

My guess is that, as with most things SL-related, if it doesn't happen on a platform within LL's jurisdiction (i.e., in-world, the feeds, and the forum), it's not "actionable."

Certainly, though, it is at least ethically necessary to obtain the consent of those who are also appearing in these photos?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, usedcars said:

I see a lot of pics of SL  sex in flickr and was curious would i need permission to post pics of another girl And I in  flickr without her permission.

I would say that it's one thing to post a random image of you with someone else out exploring, and quite another thing altogether to post an image of someone else having sex with you, without their permission.

Ask yourself one question: would you be happy if someone did that to you in real life? Because many people identify greatly with their avatars; so much so that a partner sharing images of them naked and having sex would be a gross violation not only of privacy but also of trust.

In short: yes - for the sake of civility and respect alone - ask their permission. And if they don't grant it then don't post the images.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I would say that it's one thing to post a random image of you with someone else out exploring, and quite another thing altogether to post an image of someone else having sex with you, without their permission.

Ask yourself one question: would you be happy if someone did that to you in real life? Because many people identify greatly with their avatars; so much so that a partner sharing images of them naked and having sex would be a gross violation not only of privacy but also of trust.

I like to post thought provoking questions

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Certainly, though, it is at least ethically necessary to obtain the consent of those who are also appearing in these photos?

I believe that would depend on how the image will be used. For one: the answer is NO, because it's not a photograph by the legal definition. Yes, ethically-speaking, if you plan to use the image in any kind of money-making effort, whether it's an advertisement of some sort or within a money-making venue.

In short, because the faces and "persons" cannot be easily identified by any means (and they are computer-generated imagery and not real people) - I'd have no qualms whatsoever taking any snapshot (a.k.a. Screen Capture) I've created myself and using it in a money-making form outside Second Life, *except* if it is to make money inside Second Life.

• Like 1

Just now, Skell Dagger said:

There's no thought to provoke. Only the basic instinct of respecting your bed partner.

I agree to this if it's not just some random scene. if it's someone you actually know, then you should, at the very least, tell them how you intend to use the images. That's not ethics or law or anything else, that's just plain being polite.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, usedcars said:

I see a lot of pics of SL  sex in flickr and was curious would i need permission to post pics of another girl And I in  flickr without her permission.

The content license, and the more detailed explanation in the SL wiki, do not prohibit you from doing so.

"For machinima, you must have the consent of all Residents whose avatars or Second Life names are featured or recognizable in the machinima. This includes avatars who are featured in a shot, avatars whose names are legible, and avatars whose appearance is sufficiently distinctive that they are recognizable by members of the Second Life community. Consent is not required if an avatar is not recognizable and is merely part of a crowd scene or shown in a fleeting background. Consent is not required for any snapshots."

However, as Skell has already said, it is surely unethical to post something, especially if it involves sexual intimacy, without obtaining the consent of all parties. I know that I'd be upset if such material involving my avatar were posted without my consent.

• Like 2

Just now, Alyona Su said:

I agree to this if it's not just some random scene. if it's someone you actually know, then you should, at the very least, tell them how you intend to use the images. That's not ethics or law or anything else, that's just plain being polite.

And if they don't know that (generic) you are quietly snapping away and a few days later they decide to look at your Flickr feed and see themselves there, in flagrante? It doesn't matter if you know them or not. Ask.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, usedcars said:

Yes. 

I'm not even going to try to separate morals, ethics, laws, TOS, content licenses, etc., etc., so on and so forth. I'm not going to separate RL and SL. It simply doesn't matter... the answer you are seeking is yes, unequivocally, you need to get permission from the other party before you post pics of them.

If you don't ask that woman for permission, and she doesn't explicit grant you that permission, do not post them. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, usedcars said:

The answer i am getting is yes I can if its somewhere accessible to the public

Just now, usedcars said:

That includes the profile feed in SL??

From both of these answers all I'm getting is, "I'm going to do it anyway."

That tells me a lot. You didn't want an answer to your question at all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, usedcars said:

That includes the profile feed in SL??

That includes literally anywhere that anyone other than you can see them. Profile, profile feed, picks, Flickr, Yahoo, FB, MySpace, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Grindr, Wikipedia, Google, Reddit, Kik, Nextdoor, Plurk, Bing, Chrome, YouTube, and every other website and platform in the entirety of the ever-expanding universe for all time plus infinity. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.