Major Inventory upgrade

BarbiieBiish

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello I would like to know since iv been apart of second life me and other players would like to know when can secondlife get a major inventory upgrade to where we can see new items be listed in an organization category for jewlery, pans,tops,shoe,Furnitire etc.The current inventory in the secondlife viewer dose not organize and makes it very hard to find new purchases products.. can there be a inventory closet that appears on the screen as the suit case opens that will have all items well organize and displayed in fashion aswell can we have color themes for that closet in different colors to change.. well thankyou I'm just asking for a major inventory upgrade because me and many millions of players pay our real money for this game and as if there can be a inventory upgrade closet that appears. I understand that's not easy but wish one day near future it can be possible  thankyou.

Edited by BarbiieBiish

9 answers to this question

On 6/9/2019 at 4:32 AM, BarbiieBiish said:

Hello I would like to know since iv been apart of second life me and other players would like to know when can secondlife get a major inventory upgrade to where we can see new items be listed in an organization category for jewlery, pans,tops,shoe,Furnitire etc

Other platforms / games get around this by only allowing a set number of different things (hats, clothes, shoes, etc) to exist. This means they can show a sorted and well ordered inventory view.

SL inventory has no such restriction. You really can make almost anything, so there is no way for the viewer to know 'what this thing is'. It could be hair, a hat, shoes, a cottage, cat pictures, etc. So really the onus is on you to make folders as you need and organise in a way that makes sense to you, the same way you organise files on your actual computer.

The current inventory in the secondlife viewer dose not organize and makes it very hard to find new purchases products..

Might I suggest you try the shopping viewer Catznip Viewer. We recently added a feature to sort incoming inventory items as you acquire them

Image result for catznip inventory sorting

Yes I know .. pimping the viewer project I work on again .. but really, we do a LOT of shopping.

can there be a inventory closet that appears on the screen as the suit case opens that will have all items well organize and displayed in fashion aswell can we have color themes for that closet in different colors to change..

There are wardrobe systems that use a website and RLV to switch your clothing, so you just browse pictures and pick what you want. However, as with regular folders, you have to set it all up yourself, by hand, and work out your own organisation strategy. This will require some time and dedication to really master.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-Wardrobe-Organize-your-outfits-with-style-A-visual-inventory-organizer/935078

You can find new purchases by using a custom filter its not hard or check your received folder.

Sorting anything in a inventory by colour, name and whether its a shirt or pants I feel is up to you, not LL. If you want it like that then I'd suggest going somewhere quiet and getting to work. 

If you want a organizer there are wardrobes on the mp that you can set up. I'd suggest taking a look at one, they are pretty handy.

• Like 1

not sure if you know that we can do all you have asked for ourselves now

we can create and name folders and sub-folders in Inventory

For example: Right-click on the Clothing folder name. Select the menu option: New Folder. This creates a new sub folder called New Folder under Clothing. Right click on New Folder and rename it to Pants. We can do this again and rename the New Folder to Tops. We can also create a new folder under Tops and name it Blouses, another as Cardigans, etc. Under Blouses we can create further sub folders named Silk Florals, Silk Plains, Cotton Pinks, Cotton Yellow, etc

then we drag drop our Cardigans, Blouses, Tops, Bottoms, Shoes, Jewellery, etc into the Clothing folders we have created and named

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BarbiieBiish said:

I'm just asking for a major inventory upgrade

You're just asking for a great number of people to spend many months sifting through 16 years of patched and re-patched code, rewriting it to change one of the most fundamental parts of it that has fingers in many other parts of the code, to create a major update that doesn't break any other existing content... because you can't/don't want to create a filing system of your own?

1 hour ago, BarbiieBiish said:

because me and many millions of players pay our real money for this game

I have spent probably close to hundreds of thousands of real life dollars in Second Life in the 12 years that I've been here. I've organised my own inventory by creating folders just like Mollymews described, and because of that I know where to find just about everything in my 180,000-ish inventory.

If you want a folder for "stuff I bought today" you can create one. Drag everything into there as you go around shopping (do it before you teleport out of each place; that way if you crash you'll know everything is safe in that folder) and then sort it when you get home and have time to unpack and try everything on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BarbiieBiish said:

Hello I would like to know since iv been apart of second life me and other players would like to know when can secondlife get a major inventory upgrade to where we can see new items be listed in an organization category for jewlery, pans,tops,shoe,Furnitire etc.The current inventory in the secondlife viewer dose not organize and makes it very hard to find new purchases products.. can there be a inventory closet that appears on the screen as the suit case opens that will have all items well organize and displayed in fashion aswell can we have color themes for that closet in different colors to change.. well thankyou I'm just asking for a major inventory upgrade because me and many millions of players pay our real money for this game and as if there can be a inventory upgrade closet that appears. I understand that's not easy but wish one day near future it can be possible  thankyou.

No.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BarbiieBiish said:

to where we can see new items be listed in an organization category for jewlery, pans,tops,shoe,Furnitire etc.T

you'r inventory will be a mess after more than a year here if you didn't do that yet in your inventory.. better start doing it instantly ( right click, new folder/rename...done)and if you also are hiding those millions paying members there we know now where they are... not in sl anyway.

• Like 1

Barbii,

As others have said, you can organize your inventory in a way similar to what you're asking for.  In fact, most of us do.  (Except for the few diehard organization haters.  I knew one girl who just dumped everything in the Objects folder and always used inventory search to find what she wanted.  I don't recommend this method.)

Besides creating your own folders and sub-folders to organize things, you also have a "closet" similar to what you're requesting.  It's the Outfit Gallery.  See this link for information on Outfits and the Gallery feature: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/saving-your-avatars-appearance-with-outfits-r1410/

Everyone has sort of ignored the part about why sorting stuff and placing things in categories can't be automatic.

To get a basic idea of why categorization is never going to happen consider Is Second Life a Game? The article is based on an SL insider joke  about whether SL is a game or not. The difficult experience of people trying to make inventory categories for their their stuff and organizing is the humorous twist.

The vast variety of things people make for SL and the diversity of people's taste in what to buy makes any universal practical categories an impossibility. The categories I use and that you use are probably very different.

However, the inventory filters provide the tools to work with inventory and find things even in large disorganized inventories.

10 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Might I suggest you try the shopping viewer Catznip Viewer. We recently added a feature to sort incoming inventory items as you acquire them

This is the *KILLER FEATURE* of Catznip and is an obvious no-brainer. Why Linden Lab does not include this feature in the official viewer is a total WTF!? mystery. This and performance unmatched by the others, including Firestorm (by two or three times, actually) are why anyone *must*, at least, give Catznip a go. The price is the same as all the others, so why not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.