Backing Up Your Linden Home (and others of course too)

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made a post the end of last month about my method of backing up  home and garden builds. It has been a huge success so I thought it might be good to let folks know about it.  There is also a post on Inara's blog about using a rezzer for your decor layouts (link to that in my post).  

You can find the article on my blog. Currently it is at the top of the popular post list but I also made a link in the sidebar under Permalinks. 

coalesced object.png

Well I guess I am not awake as I hit the publish button tooooo soon :D.   Whatever your method, backing up your layouts is a really good plan!!  

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I use my own rezzer system. Grabbing an object coalesced is relatively easy, positioning it back to its original position, however, isn't. :) Linksets in my rezzer system can auto-position back to where they came from. So, I just need to drop them on my windlass floor, from inventory, and I'm good to go. :) (or rez them, of course). That is handy, as I keep a work-copy of my windlass interior on my private island, where I can do the exact same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kiramanell said:

I use my own rezzer system. Grabbing an object coalesced is relatively easy, positioning it back to its original position, however, isn't. :) Linksets in my rezzer system can auto-position back to where they came from. So, I just need to drop them on my windlass floor, from inventory, and I'm good to go. :) (or rez them, of course). That is handy, as I keep a work-copy of my windlass interior on my private island, where I can do the exact same.

I use a rez fob as well. so when centered in home you can move it all easily in position without getting an error items went outside the parcel. 

Edited by anthonytorino
  • Like 1

As noted in my post Inara has a very long and complete post on using rez systems for those that like them. Apparently I am not the only one that does NOT :D.   Either way --- have YOU backed up your home decor lately?  :D

That Was kind of the point.  Honestly it takes me almost no time at all to reposition and rezzers sometimes lose items that get thrown outside the lot lines (at least that has been my experience). 

Whatever work for you is good. 

I have followed your steps, used land search, picked up my gacha plants, PrimPossible items and statues. Yet, it does not allow me to take copy. I have some full permission items. Is that an issue? Must everything be copy/no transfer? 

I don't have more than 97 objects selected either.

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

As noted in my post Inara has a very long and complete post on using rez systems for those that like them. Apparently I am not the only one that does NOT :D.   Either way --- have YOU backed up your home decor lately?  :D

That Was kind of the point.  Honestly it takes me almost no time at all to reposition and rezzers sometimes lose items that get thrown outside the lot lines (at least that has been my experience). 

Whatever work for you is good. 

I will have to try your method to pick out the no copy items. I do the same as you when it comes to making backups, and just make clustered copies of it all into a little batch of coalesced objects. Works fine for me, but the no copy items can be a pain in the behind. lol

If I'm feeling fancy, I click and add one final object after I have the rest of the cluster highlighted: a prim cube named whatever I want to use to identify the whole lot. (Got that idea from @Pamela Galli a long time ago.) As you noted, the name of the last object clicked becomes the name of the coalesced object.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I will have to try your method to pick out the no copy items. I do the same as you when it comes to making backups, and just make clustered copies of it all into a little batch of coalesced objects. Works fine for me, but the no copy items can be a pain in the behind. lol

If I'm feeling fancy, I click and add one final object after I have the rest of the cluster highlighted: a prim cube named whatever I want to use to identify the whole lot. (Got that idea from @Pamela Galli a long time ago.) As you noted, the name of the last object clicked becomes the name of the coalesced object.

The last there, was a great idea. I can then place the last object in a special corner. I have linked so much too, I can rename the linksets.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I have followed your steps, used land search, picked up my gacha plants, PrimPossible items and statues. Yet, it does not allow me to take copy. I have some full permission items. Is that an issue? Must everything be copy/no transfer? 

WIld guess: do you have any of the objects locked? I don't know whether I've ever tried to copy a locked item (or if it can be done).

4 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

WIld guess: do you have any of the objects locked? I don't know whether I've ever tried to copy a locked item (or if it can be done).

In Firestorm, I can filter on Locked too. So nothing comes up as locked after I unlocked a fence.

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

:D  I am pretty sure I had a "hopefully" type caveat in that post as I know it won't always find everything. It does for me usually, but ----

Items only need to be copy to "take a copy". But if you use "no transfer" to find the typical  "no copy" items  (usually gachas but not always) it will NOT find the full perm items since they are transfer.    

Since I don't have any full perm items that I have purchased I have never had your problem.  Not sure how to work around that really. Maybe someone who buys full perm items will have an idea.  

You CAN take copies of locked items (assuming they are copy) but it really is a BAD idea to do so. Depending on how you have your alerts set you may (I do) see this notice when taking a copy.   If it is just a few things, not a big deal with things being locked but with a BUNCH of locked items it could be a nightmare.

image.png.5415efc4d64eeea6504f98c370f2540c.png

Edited by Chic Aeon

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

:D  I am pretty sure I had a "hopefully" type caveat in that post as I know it won't always find everything. It does for me usually, but ----

Items only need to be copy to "take a copy". But if you use "no transfer" to find the typical  "no copy" items  (usually gachas but not always) it will NOT find the full perm items since they are transfer.    

Since I don't have any full perm items that I have purchased I have never had your problem.  Not sure how to work around that really. Maybe someone who buys full perm items will have an idea.  

Well thanks anyway. Maybe it was too much. It is probably more easy to edit in place with 5-6 clumps of furniture. I have all carpets, pictures and other decor that's copy and mod linked, and only the furniture with sit animations unlinked. So... only dare to change house then....

38 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Well thanks anyway. Maybe it was too much. It is probably more easy to edit in place with 5-6 clumps of furniture. I have all carpets, pictures and other decor that's copy and mod linked, and only the furniture with sit animations unlinked. So... only dare to change house then....

Yes, I said that in the post. If you have a ton of gachas and other no copy items there really isn't anything that works well ^^  hence my aversion to those things.   I just picked up a very nice (but primmy) gift that had NO permissions at all. I don't understand why folks do that. Makes things so very difficult.  

You can of course just TAKE your items (including the no copy ones) up if you are moving or whatever.  Then be VERY VERY VERY careful with that file :D.  I have done that successfully when moving full sims but it isn't my favorite thing to do. 

For the House - I've been creating linksets of logical groupings (outside architectural stuff, bathroom, bedroom, etc..), noting the root positions in a doc, and then taking a copy.  I sometimes keep copies of some of the smaller subsets also - at least for the large outdoor architectural batch.  Like, I've used Chic's front porch for the Winchester and then linked in my walkway parts that I needed to get to the Linden walkway. That is one subset.  In the back, the pergola with patio underneath is another subset, etc...   Once I'm mostly happy with how things are, then I'll probably create a single indoor and a single outdoor linkset of everything that is 'copy'.

For the Houseboat, to keep things straight in my head, after ripping apart Blush's stuff, I then re-linked together everything controlled by one color HUD and took a copy of that.  Ditto for the next batch using another color HUD.

I have a few rez systems in inventory that I may play with after I'm done mucking around with stuff. 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

You CAN take copies of locked items (assuming they are copy) but it really is a BAD idea to do so. Depending on how you have your alerts set you may (I do) see this notice when taking a copy.   If it is just a few things, not a big deal with things being locked but with a BUNCH of locked items it could be a nightmare.

I actally do the exact opposite. ;) I even take my linksets to the rezzer locked (that way they get rezzed locked too).

6 hours ago, kiramanell said:

I actally do the exact opposite. ;) I even take my linksets to the rezzer locked (that way they get rezzed locked too).

Many ways of doing things. I think taking up it in linksets was the best for me. Placed them in its own folder. (Pats myself on the back, I am really disorganized) 

I did a thorough search for Transfer items, also Locked items, plus searched on owner name for the alts, just in case an alt had rezzed something.

Here in Bellisseria, I really cut back on gachas. I am done taking copy linksets of all my interior and my porches/patios, and not one of them included no copy items. So I am good for now. If I will rez the Winchester contents again, I can rez the linksets and then add the Roiro plants, the 2 statues and the 2 PrimPossible things I have out.

But I can't be 100% sure that I did something wrong or forgot to take up something when I tried Chic's method. It could be SL or the region acting up. I have experienced it before, one day some things are impossible, the next day it works.

All I have to do is muster my courage, close my eyes, hit the mailbox and rez the Continental. Later today. Maybe. Tomorrow.

I took a trip to Jake Vorduns place just to enjoy his Continental. I decided to walk down a cozy sidewalk, and suddenly I was at Coby Fodens place. I had no idea they lived so close. Isn't it fun, to find a house you recognize when you explore?

Edited by Marianne Little
typos
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

It's too bad, btw, that you can't do 'Restore to last position' with linksets at Bellisseria. Apparently, the system needs access to 0,0,0 for that first, somehow.

Oh! I have never figured out when that will work. It seems so random to me I thought it was just magic when something actually DOES restore.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Thank you for that; I did try the rezzer method you mention from Inara Pey back in my houseboat days and mastered it but then I kept changing my inside and outside decor which required updating the rezzer, etc.  So, easy works for me, LOL.  I also make a "Moving" folder with copies of my latest/best coalesced objects.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

Thank you for that; I did try the rezzer method you mention from Inara Pey back in my houseboat days and mastered it but then I kept changing my inside and outside decor which required updating the rezzer, etc.  So, easy works for me, LOL.  I also make a "Moving" folder with copies of my latest/best coalesced objects.

Yes, MOVING FOLDERS have saved me more times than one would suspect. What with inventory actually disappearing sometimes (and blogger copies have no redelivery as well as the gachas :D) coalesced objects have been very important. Now with inventory search not working (or at least not working as it should) those coalesced moving folders are even more important.  

I think back to "when was the last time I used [insert object here] and rez the coalesced items on the sandbox.  I have found SO VERY MANY things that way.   Now and then you can actually lose your coalesced backups -- so "THAT'S not good, but they certainly are another layer of security.    

I always hated rezzers. Did some back in my LEARN AVATAR days, but I only have one product that uses them now and that is only because it is the ONLY way it will work (giant megaprims).    

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.