Arms and hands - asymmetric tattoos?

Resi Pfeffer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Okay, so it is not the tattoo creators that control this, it is the skin creators? And why would skin creators make skins that use this Universal wearable, when they gain nothing from it? Unless they sell tattoos themselves. I believe it will be hard to find any skin creator that cares. The skins who have pretty faces and sexy bodies sell anyway. And those skins I don't like... I don't buy them for a tattoo.

The same thing could have been said for making any system tattoo layer. It benefits the skinners because it helps their customers achieve the look they are going after. It's not like they have to make these multiple times because it's only for the body not the face. We know that making faces is very labor intensive and they make dozens if not hundreds of faces, but with a body it's just one per body brand. So they make one universal wearable and drop it into their body packages. I think the biggest reason we're not seeing it already is that they do not know that it's needed.

2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

So basically, a skin creator could slap the already uploaded and existing skin textures onto such a universal wearable... which I haven't encountered at all as of now, to my knowledge... then sell said univeral wearable for some extra L$$$ and people could start wearing BOM asymmetrical tattoos?

I can't remember which skinner it is but I've seen a universal wearable already in one skin package. But that is the only one I've seen in all these months of seeing skinners update their skin applier packages with BoM products. I honestly, think it's just a matter of educating skinners that there is a very real need for including the universal wearable in their packages.

So, how do we let skin creators know about this and do this? Does more than 1 designer know?

17 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

The same thing could have been said for making any system tattoo layer. It benefits the skinners because it helps their customers achieve the look they are going after. It's not like they have to make these multiple times because it's only for the body not the face. We know that making faces is very labor intensive and they make dozens if not hundreds of faces, but with a body it's just one per body brand. So they make one universal wearable and drop it into their body packages. I think the biggest reason we're not seeing it already is that they do not know that it's needed.

I can't remember which skinner it is but I've seen a universal wearable already in one skin package. But that is the only one I've seen in all these months of seeing skinners update their skin applier packages with BoM products. I honestly, think it's just a matter of educating skinners that there is a very real need for including the universal wearable in their packages.

I learnt something new here. But the skin creators have to do it. If not, the skin stops the possibility for 1 arm tattoos.

It is not allowed to rip the skin texture for personal use. But in cases like this, I can see why people are tempted to do it.

On the more positive side, the skin makers fixed the toes and feet, so we do not need to tint BoM fixers ourselves.

Just to make sure I understand... The skin creators can use the skin files they already have uploaded? Or must they make new arm textures?

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

So, how do we let skin creators know about this and do this? Does more than 1 designer know?

I learnt something new here. But the skin creators have to do it. If not, the skin stops the possibility for 1 arm tattoos.

It is not allowed to rip the skin texture for personal use. But in cases like this, I can see why people are tempted to do it.

On the more positive side, the skin makers fixed the toes and feet, so we do not need to tint BoM fixers ourselves.

Just to make sure I understand... The skin creators can use the skin files they already have uploaded? Or must they make new arm textures?

Disclaimer: I never made a skin myself - I have used skin textures on my and mannequins bodies though.

A body skin for the classic avatar and most mesh bodies comes in 3 textures, head, upper and lower body. Each of these, once uploaded, can't be changed. 

The skin maker would need to edit their original texture in a program and re-upload it to Second Life.

31 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:

The skin maker would need to edit their original texture in a program and re-upload it to Second Life.

Not the skin maker, but the mesh creator of the body.

Textures are two-dimensional, mesh bodies tend to be three-dimensional, anything that's in 3D needs a 'UV map' to apply a 2D texture properly. The way you do this is you 'unwrap' the mesh by creating cuts to allow it to be flattened. 

35cfc7c6f4cb6f2ee7626c3e929858f8--uv-map

The mesh then has the UV map to it, and any 2D texture applied will be applied with how the UV map was designed.

The thing with many mesh bodies is that they follow the 'system avatar' UV map, which I guess was to allow skin creators to just take their skin textures, transform them into appliers, and then apply them. Either way, the way the system avatar's UV map was made, the arms were 'mirrored', i.e. placed on top of each other on the UV map, to allow for higher detail due to the texture limits. Thus, any bodies that use the standard UV map or a variation thereof can NEVER have asymmetrical features on the arms, unless the mesh creator re-maps the mesh (which will of course break all tattoos, skins, etc, made for the old UV map, unless you'd take the other arm and scale it down to a dot on the already quite crowded map, and get a terrible resolution as a result). 

If you're using a body which uses the system avatar's UV map or one designed in the same manner, you're stuck with that. Your only option is to find a body that has been mapped differently (I think that Slink's bodies do that?). Unless you want to cheat and wear one body, set that up with one tattoo, then take that off, add another copy, set it up to be the other half, and then wear the two bodies together both at once. Which obviously is madness. If you're using onion layers you could probably do it with those instead, but it's still madness. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

All they have to do is use the same textures they used to create the skin. Just the same way that some skinners now are putting their head textures on a tattoo layer. Same principle only in this case rather than putting it on a tattoo layer they will put it on the universal wearable. 

The knowledge base article I linked earlier in this thread explains how to use the universal wearable. The whole reason it was created was to enable people to use textures asymmetrically. 

The way the mesh body creators have gotten around this is not by remapping but by controlling which faces of the tattoo/clothing layers can receive the applier with scripts. For instance, with the Maitreya body I can decide which parts will receive the applied tattoo by selecting the parts in the HUD. So I can turn off all of the layer except the one arm I want to apply to. I can also use that same feature to turn off the arm that's had the tat applied to it and turn on another part of the tattoo layer and apply something completely different to that portion of the body. 

Edited by Blush Bravin

I consider myself an ordinary Second Life player, I've been using Aesthetic's Enzo body since it was released, and I made myself some asymmetrical tattoos, they are not for sale, they really are part of my fun, so I decided to put some of them here .

The applicators provided with the body are really easy to use to create your own tattoos.

tattoo_028.thumb.jpg.9a2f2502fed45838b06e00933913d804.jpg

tattoo_02.thumb.jpg.f14250b342a6d116ebd18cf75cd48a36.jpg

tattoo_03.thumb.jpg.23b4cb1f057fa2fd6d2fa7254829f8fb.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nando Yip said:

I consider myself an ordinary Second Life player, I've been using Aesthetic's Enzo body since it was released, and I made myself some asymmetrical tattoos, they are not for sale, they really are part of my fun, so I decided to put some of them here .

The applicators provided with the body are really easy to use to create your own tattoos.

Aesthetic doesn't use the SL UV map though, right? Doesn't it use something like 14 textures or something silly?

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Haha 1

It is understandable that tattoo designers opt out of this, and just use the old UV map. I can't imagine how stupid LL was, for not changing to two arm templates 10 years ago.

But if you make tattoos, advertise. Use search words on the Marketplace . I can find a few creators for the search word asymmetrical. But not the tattoo I showed in previous posts. It is more asymmetrical tattoos to get, but they don't show up in search.

And I found this one, in the link under, by accident. I am buying it for a male alt. It's a design on both arms, but different. That is one of the things I do not like with the few asymmetrical tattoos I have found so far. They have one arm covered in ink, and nothing on the rest. They look unbalanced. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/HUD-Male-Tattoo-Applier-Slink-Signature-Mantra-V2/12135631

I would like to see more in that style.

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It is understandable that tattoo designers opt out of this, and just use the old UV map. I can't imagine how stupid LL was, for not changing to two arm templates 10 years ago.

But if you make tattoos, advertise. Use search words on the Marketplace . I can find a few creators for the search word asymmetrical. But not the tattoo I showed in previous posts. It is more asymmetrical tattoos to get, but they don't show up in search.

And I found this one, in the link under, by accident. I am buying it for a male alt. It's a design on both arms, but different. That is one of the things I do not like with the few asymmetrical tattoos I have found so far. They have one arm covered in ink, and nothing on the rest. They look unbalanced. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/HUD-Male-Tattoo-Applier-Slink-Signature-Mantra-V2/12135631

I would like to see more in that style.

I don't look for asymmetrical tattoos. I get normal tattoo appliers and then use my Maitreya HUD to apply the tattoos asymmetrically.

Here in this pic I have quite a few tats on. Several use BoM layers but both of my arms use the tattoo add-on layer provided with my Maitreya body. I simply select which arm I want the applier to apply to and use the tattoo applier of choice to apply to that arm only. Then using the same exact tattoo add-on layer, I deselect the arm I just applied to and select the other arm. I then choose another tattoo applier to apply to that arm. This allows me to use the many tattoos I've collected over the years and use them just on one arm or one foot.

722760592_syntats_001.thumb.png.5de1e3e483884fc7d3f022fccbef422b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I don't look for asymmetrical tattoos. I get normal tattoo appliers and then use my Maitreya HUD to apply the tattoos asymmetrically.

Here in this pic I have quite a few tats on. Several use BoM layers but both of my arms use the tattoo add-on layer provided with my Maitreya body. I simply select which arm I want the applier to apply to and use the tattoo applier of choice to apply to that arm only. Then using the same exact tattoo add-on layer, I deselect the arm I just applied to and select the other arm. I then choose another tattoo applier to apply to that arm. This allows me to use the many tattoos I've collected over the years and use them just on one arm or one foot.

722760592_syntats_001.thumb.png.5de1e3e483884fc7d3f022fccbef422b.png

That look really good on you. I have problems finding tattoos that work well together, the quality, the strength, the style they are drawn in. I have not managed to find tattoos that look like I want them to look. I find tattoos that look well for my alts, but not like I want for my main.

Maybe I am looking for a store that offer many smaller tattoos instead of the big ones.

It is also impossible for the cheap and free mesh avatars who use only BoM, or who has layers that can not select/deselect. A good argument for spending money on a body that can do things the freebies can't.

On 8/15/2020 at 6:27 PM, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I'm also reading the Maitreya blog post as "possible via appliers and tattoo layer shell". But nothing in terms of BOM layers.

Besides that, badmouthing Robin for providing her templates to the public like that was probably one of the most rude insults I've ever come across at these boards. Talk about doing good...

😮 Oops. What i said wasnt intended to sound that bold or rude.
I was just thinking about if anyone in real life would have identical tats on both arms and ranted about.
Didnt even think about if that template was made that way because of any technical restrictions or whatever was the reason for the mirror issue...

My apologies.

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.