Price per meter or price per prim in rentals

Adrienne514

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The new trend in advertising of parcel rental prices is pricing by the meter.  I am one who stops to do the math before I make any kind of financial decision- and I thought I'd pass on my research.  I came across some advertising of Company A that said "0.26 L$ a meter a week for normal land and water parcels 0.29 L$ a meter a week for protected roadside parcels 0.33 L$ a meter a week for protected waterside and waterway parcel."  At first glance it's a price to make you go WOW when Company B  sells a parcel for L3094 a week.  Ooooo That MUST be a better deal, right?  Let's look at the numbers.  

Take a random parcel I found: (roadside) 2368m for $L447 for 812 prims a week by Company B standards.  BTW this pricing is per prim according to the company itself.  Let's compare it to Company A's pricing policy per meter: using my calculator, I did .29 x 2368 = 686.72.  WOW  that is 239.72 L more expensive!  That is nearly 54% higher!  Just by pricing it by meter.  

Be aware, when you parcel off land, LL AUTOMATICALLY assigns prims to the parcel so there can be no prim difference without "playing with the prim sharing" in the region.  Such as... Apartments- everyone getting 50 prims (when the space actually gives 150 prims); companies using the sky for skydomes thus lowering the amount of prims available per parcel, companies "borrowing prims" from other parcels in the same region, etc etc.  These are all tactics that they use to attract renters.  Oh we have more prims per parcel! we have a larger space!  Oh and heaven forbid if you rent out a larger space, less prim parcel - say.... 16384 meters with only 1/2 the amount of prims LL assigns because they used them for other parcels...  Company A's price would be (roadside) L$4752 for 2600 prims vs Company B's L$3074 for 5625 prims...   Which company would you choose?  

Be smart when comparing companies.  Many are just trying to rip off the consumer.  Why am I telling you this secret? Because I used to be one who was ripped off, and I have found a company who is SMART about their pricing.  Just food for thought.

• Like 2

Renting any land by the meter is a fool's game. never do it. Always rent by a number of prims allowed with a per prim-based price. Many merchants make this grave mistake also, renting a booth somewhere that gives them 50 prims (LI) and they use only 40 of them, the competitor who uses 47 of those prims is paying less than you are.

Since these parcel owners *know* it is to your advantage to rent by the prim, they will never advertise that. So you negotiate for it. Even if it's just small blocks of prims, by the tens, for example. That's where you judge the true value of any rental or parcel for sale. The square meter size means nothing, the true value of any parcel is the number of prims (LI) you get with it. If I werre get 150 prims ina 32x32 m2 Parcel for the same price as a 512 m2 with 117, I'll go with the former = better deal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Renting any land by the meter is a fool's game.The square meter size means nothing, the true value of any parcel is the number of prims (LI) you get with it. If I werre get 150 prims ina 32x32 m2 Parcel for the same price as a 512 m2 with 117, I'll go with the former = better deal.

nonsense

32 x 32 m2 = a parcel of 1024 sqm .. renting that with 150 prims is for sure nót a better deal than 117 on a 512 sqm

When a rental company simply uses the standard land sizes, with the standard Li on it, there is totally nothing against it, that some landlords take advantage of groups to spread LI to other parcels is easy to see... and if you don't agree dont rent there.
The "warning" from OP is hardly of any help for people other than "look at the Li and parcel size", it's no scam to do it different, and rental prices difference?.... thats whats called free market.

12 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

nonsense

32 x 32 m2 = a parcel of 1024 sqm .. renting that with 150 prims is for sure nót a better deal than 117 on a 512 sqm

When a rental company simply uses the standard land sizes, with the standard Li on it, there is totally nothing against it, that some landlords take advantage of groups to spread LI to other parcels is easy to see... and if you don't agree dont rent there.
The "warning" from OP is hardly of any help for people other than "look at the Li and parcel size", it's no scam to do it different, and rental prices difference?.... thats whats called free market.

If I sell out of prim boxes, I can rez all 150 boxes to sell my stuff from. You take that 512 m2 and you;re more limited than I am, I can sell more variety. Virtual "space" means nothing. Here's a fact: The SL economy is based on the mighty prim (a.k.a. Land Impact point). Though, you could be right. After 13 fully-active years in SL I could be all confused and stuffs.

It sure is a Free Market; I don't disagree with that.  I was simply trying to advise newer renters to not fall for that.  That renting per prim is the way to go.  And if companies don't like that people are smart to it- maybe they should change their tactic is all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox Wijaya said:

everybody can be wrong,  if you use SL age as reference to state you'r right you have a lot to learn.

Simply expressing that I have some experience. It's not a matter of dedeuctive reasoning or hypothesis. It is simple fact. The reason people focus on "space" is not for the space; it's for the LI availability. How about I find a nice 1024 m2 parcel that only allows half LI, rather that the usual, and sell it for L$1,000. Would YOU buy it? I think not.

As a renter I'd want pricing by the meter as long as it didn't come out to higher price per meter than by prims. Before I bought my parcel I rented a 4096 platform and it didn't have very many prims. I'd rather have a big space than extra prims because I like having a lot of room and am very stingy with LI. If I had the choice between $300L for a 4096 with 200 prims, or $250L for a 2048 with 250 prims, I'd take the 4096. That's for platforms but even on land rentals I'd be okay with low prim count in exchange for more land.

Edited by callistanull
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, Adrienne514 said:

The new trend in advertising of parcel rental prices is pricing by the meter.  I am one who stops to do the math before I make any kind of financial decision- and I thought I'd pass on my research.  I came across some advertising of Company A that said "0.26 L$ a meter a week for normal land and water parcels 0.29 L$ a meter a week for protected roadside parcels 0.33 L$ a meter a week for protected waterside and waterway parcel."  At first glance it's a price to make you go WOW when Company B  sells a parcel for L3094 a week.  Ooooo That MUST be a better deal, right?  Let's look at the numbers.  

Take a random parcel I found: (roadside) 2368m for $L447 for 812 prims a week by Company B standards.  BTW this pricing is per prim according to the company itself.  Let's compare it to Company A's pricing policy per meter: using my calculator, I did .29 x 2368 = 686.72.  WOW  that is 239.72 L more expensive!  That is nearly 54% higher!  Just by pricing it by meter.  

Be aware, when you parcel off land, LL AUTOMATICALLY assigns prims to the parcel so there can be no prim difference without "playing with the prim sharing" in the region.  Such as... Apartments- everyone getting 50 prims (when the space actually gives 150 prims); companies using the sky for skydomes thus lowering the amount of prims available per parcel, companies "borrowing prims" from other parcels in the same region, etc etc.  These are all tactics that they use to attract renters.  Oh we have more prims per parcel! we have a larger space!  Oh and heaven forbid if you rent out a larger space, less prim parcel - say.... 16384 meters with only 1/2 the amount of prims LL assigns because they used them for other parcels...  Company A's price would be (roadside) L$4752 for 2600 prims vs Company B's L$3074 for 5625 prims...   Which company would you choose?  

Be smart when comparing companies.  Many are just trying to rip off the consumer.  Why am I telling you this secret? Because I used to be one who was ripped off, and I have found a company who is SMART about their pricing.  Just food for thought.

I find it hard to believe that this tactic will catch on, people are so used to prims/land impact.

There isn't anything wrong with borrowing prims from water or a commons to give more prims to parcels. It's what group rentals on the Mainland are all about. It seems like an exotic thing to be offering in meters as most people won't do the math.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I find it hard to believe that this tactic will catch on, people are so used to prims/land impact.

There isn't anything wrong with borrowing prims from water or a commons to give more prims to parcels. It's what group rentals on the Mainland are all about. It seems like an exotic thing to be offering in meters as most people won't do the math.

Even though it's the most efficient and best-practice to shop this way, you are right: it won;t catch on because it is counter-intuitive and people cannot wrap their mind around the idea of it and they look at it as space. I could rent a 4096 parcel with only 25% of the prim allowance and a 2048 parcel with the same prim allotment as a 4096 and 75% of shoppers will go for the 4096.

It was the same with letterboxed video, many people looked at it and saw half the picture as missing (vertically) rather than half the picture as being added (horizontally). Much of the world populace have the cognizance of cows.

• 3 weeks later...

Basically, prims are no longer the limiting factor, space is. Pricing rentals by the square meter makes a lot more sense. The rentals I manage, I set a reasonable number of prims per spot, and almost nobody uses close to that number. In a couple cases somebody did need some extra and I just increased their allotment.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.