Introducing Personal Lighting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

This EEP RC includes a new Personal Lighting floater.  When you open this floater it will snap an image of the current shared environment wherever you are standing. You are presented with a number of controls that allow you to make quick modifications to the environment, including sun and moon position, ambient lighting, and more!

These changes will persist until you log out or select “Use Shared Environment” from the World>Environment menu, so you can close the floater to get it out of your way.  

image.thumb.png.d24b5e39e1189c04846f641dd1b6a32c.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Sold. Back to official Viewer until next Catznip update. CTS Wardrobe functionality can wait, though I may get stinky after a while of not changing outfits every hour, but it will be worth it because of THIS.

All legacy (non-EEP) viewers already have this feature, including Catznip.
Personal Lighting is a new feature added to the EEP viewer, which was previously missing the functionality to tweak the shared environment at any location so photographers for example, can now change the sun position to get a nice shadow location for their shots while still using the shared environment on land they do not own.

24 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

All legacy (non-EEP) viewers already have this feature, including Catznip.
Personal Lighting is a new feature added to the EEP viewer, which was previously missing the functionality to tweak the shared environment at any location so photographers for example, can now change the sun position to get a nice shadow location for their shots while still using the shared environment on land they do not own.

Oh, so is this a stealth addition of a feature (it feels like they do that sometimes)? Haha! Thank you for letting me know, I'll have a look-see in both FS and Catz!  :D

26 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Oh, so is this a stealth addition of a feature (it feels like they do that sometimes)? Haha! Thank you for letting me know, I'll have a look-see in both FS and Catz!  :D

Yes.  It's adding this feature request to EEP

BUG-225921 - [EEP] Add the ability to locally modify an environment at any location.

8 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Are we going to have "both" old Windlight(R) capabilities and the new EEP choices in the updated viewers? Or will our old Windlight settings be useless after awhile?  Mostly I am interested in Firestorm :D. 

You can't use your old Windlight settings directly in an EEP viewer, but old Windlights can be converted over to the EEP system.
If you look in the inventory library, the new "Enviroments" folder contains a lot of the Windlights that currently ship with Firestorm already converted over to the EEP settings format.
If your particular favorite windlights are not included in the library or you made custom windlights then it's very easy to import them as EEP settings.

You just create a new settings asset (day, sky or water), double click it to open the editor.
Use the "Import" button" & browse to the windlight xml file you want to import & save it to inventory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

You can't use your old Windlight settings directly in an EEP viewer, but old Windlights can be converted over to the EEP system.
If you look in the inventory library, the new "Enviroments" folder contains a lot of the Windlights that currently ship with Firestorm already converted over to the EEP settings format.
If your particular favorite windlights are not included in the library or you made custom windlights then it's very easy to import them as EEP settings.

You just create a new settings asset (day, sky or water), double click it to open the editor.
Use the "Import" button" & browse to the windlight xml file you want to import & save it to inventory. 

Great to know. TY.  I took a screenshot of this info LOL.  Have one sky from last year's Fantasy Faire that I really want to convert and put on the level where it belongs. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rider Linden said:

I would like to know what settings I missed in the floater that photographers are likely to want to change for a photography session.  

These are the ones we felt most needed for quick photography purposes in Catznip, it's far from the entire tool set.

The < > arrows quickly flip to the next preset in the list, Spanner opens the edit preset floater. Typically all I find myself needing is a rapid way to blast though presets to find a nice one, and then set sun position for shadows.

eZEIxc5.png

Edit - to add, we're obviously going to have to rework this for EEP, but it will hopefully be similar in functionality.

Edited by CoffeeDujour
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

These are the ones we felt most needed for quick photography purposes in Catznip, it's far from the entire tool set.

The < > arrows quickly flip to the next preset in the list, Spanner opens the edit preset floater. Typically all I find myself needing is a rapid way to blast though presets to find a nice one, and then set sun position for shadows.

eZEIxc5.png

Edit - to add, we're obviously going to have to rework this for EEP, but it will hopefully be similar in functionality.

I would only add: A checkbox to turn Depth of Field on and off - It's great for snapshots - so turn it on; horrible for everything else, so turn it off. Other than that I use the Catznip quick=-prefs and am very happy with what it does.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

And there I was hoping there would finally be a way for estate/land owners to force visitors to use the region's settings.

So I could add another such region to my avoid list? ~snickers~

Love them or hate them, but LL policies will never, ever allow "forcing" anything onto anyone, at any, time, ever. Always will be 100% opt-in. Which many choose not to do. Is why it may very well be a freezing cold day in Hell before you ever see RLV code in an official LL viewer. And I say kudos to them for that.

14 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Mutters something about experience tools

Haha Yes. Now if those experience tools will ever be able to control my CTS Wardrobe then the LL viewer could actually be useful and I'd jump as fast as I could to the latest update to Catznip. Because performance for me outweighs features.

4 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

So I could add another such region to my avoid list? ~snickers~

Love them or hate them, but LL policies will never, ever allow "forcing" anything onto anyone, at any, time, ever. Always will be 100% opt-in. Which many choose not to do. Is why it may very well be a freezing cold day in Hell before you ever see RLV code in an official LL viewer. And I say kudos to them for that.

You absolutely can, and should if that's something you object.

I get your point but... you are never forced to go anywhere in SL, and you can always move out if you don't like what you see, so the opt in/out is already there.

4 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Haha Yes. Now if those experience tools will ever be able to control my CTS Wardrobe then the LL viewer could actually be useful and I'd jump as fast as I could to the latest update to Catznip. Because performance for me outweighs features.

You do know that RLVa is developed in Catznip, then added to Firestorm, right ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I thought it was RLV Viewer. LOL I did not know that. HOWEVER, It IS a wonderful tool-set that works great for other things beyond what it was originally conceptualized for (Yes, yes, I did that also for a little bit, too, but shush! If you repeat that, I'll take the 5th.) And that is the wonderful thing about "open" inventions like that. :) SO, extra bonus, I am using the *Orignial* - Even bettah!

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

And there I was hoping there would finally be a way for estate/land owners to force visitors to use the region's settings.

I guess once again, control is taken away.

I disagree, control is exactly where it should be, in the hands of the person who is viewing.  "Hoping" to "Force" are sentiments that are incompatible with the freedoms of others.  The land owner has no right to expect to be able to change viewer settings of the individual, end of story.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I disagree, control is exactly where it should be, in the hands of the person who is viewing.  "Hoping" to "Force" are sentiments that are incompatible with the freedoms of others.  The land owner has no right to expect to be able to change viewer settings of the individual, end of story.

I respectfully disagree given that the land owner can have you removed for any reason he chooses.

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

3 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I respectfully disagree given that the land owner can have you removed for any reason he chooses.

That ability does not infer the right to do anything, either actually or conceptually.  It is not actually a "given" at all regardless of your opinion.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
spelling

15 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

15 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I thought it was RLV Viewer. LOL I did not know that. HOWEVER, It IS a wonderful tool-set that works great for other things beyond what it was originally conceptualized for (Yes, yes, I did that also for a little bit, too, but shush! If you repeat that, I'll take the 5th.) And that is the wonderful thing about "open" inventions like that. :) SO, extra bonus, I am using the *Orignial* - Even bettah!

Off-topic, but to clarify the history.... RLVa is an implementation of the RLV protocol. The protocol and its API are developed and maintained by Marine Kelley who also maintains the RLV viewer itself, which was originally the only place where its functionality existed. As such, the RLV viewer can be considered the reference implementation of the protocol and something that doesn't work with it can't really call itself "RLV compatible." The RLVa implementation of it was (and still is) originally developed for Catznip and has since been incorporated into other viewers but is not a common code base with the reference implementation - which is why when Marine updates the protocol spec and the RLV viewer it sometimes takes a (usually quite short) while before those changes are reflected in RLVa and the viewers that use it, with, for obvious reasons, the updates showing up in Catznip first and then the updated RLVa code being imported to other viewers in their next release.

• Thanks 1

There are a limited number of things we did not add. Some for technical reasons like the vision spheres, some for usability reasons like RLV's mouselook (because everyone has mouselook, not just RLVa users) and the blacklist because we felt the entire system should be either on or off, with no fuzzy ground in the middle for scripters to try and work around, and users to get upset at each other over.

Judging from the feedback, the only thing people really miss are the vision spheres .. ok, that's not strictly true .. they miss their <viewer of choice> when forced to use Marines viewer because of RLVa's lack of vision spheres. We had an implementation some time ago but it got blocked by EEP, so when EEP is finalized, we will no doubt look at it again. There is no way the implementation as executed by Marine would ever have passed firestorm QA.

But likewise there are features and commands that appeared in RLVa first, a fundamentally different approach to command effects & scope, and a lot of stuff that's not directly tied to entertaining masochists, and all those debug tools scripters have been loving for years now.

Understand RLVa goes directly from us to Firestorm (and others), RLVa is written and maintained with the perspective that it will be on a viewer in use by the majority of users, whether they choose to enable it or not.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Can we have a a checkbox in the official Linden viewer to 'reapply current windlight at login' ? Like how Firestorm has it?

I don't see an option and from testing it appears the setting always reverts to the shared environment. There are many areas in SL, such as the mainland, where no special environment lighting has been set. If I log in to these areas, the process to switch to a previous windlight involves mousing to very specific drop down menus and right-clicking on an environment icon. Having to do this at every single log-in can become a bit repetitive. Or we can all just install the Firestorm viewer I suppose.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.