Introducing Personal Lighting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Can we have a a checkbox in the official Linden viewer to 'reapply current windlight at login' ? Like how Firestorm has it?

I don't see an option and from testing it appears the setting always reverts to the shared environment. There are many areas in SL, such as the mainland, where no special environment lighting has been set. If I log in to these areas, the process to switch to a previous windlight involves mousing to very specific drop down menus and right-clicking on an environment icon. Having to do this at every single log-in can become a bit repetitive. Or we can all just install the Firestorm viewer I suppose.

I doubt its still possible with the current system now that everything is inventory based (bad decision). Unless they add a way to "wear" these settings proper i don't see them adding an option that forces the fixed presets like it did before since there is no way for the Viewer to know which preset you want before loading your inventory and finding said inventory item in your inventory (would be super hacky and extremely slow and prone to issues).They either have to reimplement local presets or at least snapshot the current preset to disk to be able to load it on login. The only exceptions here are the default 4 "Sun Positions" e.g Midday, Sunrise, Midnight and Sunset

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/23/2020 at 3:10 PM, NiranV Dean said:

I doubt its still possible with the current system now that everything is inventory based (bad decision). Unless they add a way to "wear" these settings proper i don't see them adding an option that forces the fixed presets like it did before since there is no way for the Viewer to know which preset you want before loading your inventory and finding said inventory item in your inventory (would be super hacky and extremely slow and prone to issues).They either have to reimplement local presets or at least snapshot the current preset to disk to be able to load it on login. The only exceptions here are the default 4 "Sun Positions" e.g Midday, Sunrise, Midnight and Sunset

Those default positions are horrible, with the sun track being directly overhead, but then that was all Windlight gave you, you set a particular time of day to give the sun the angle above the horizon you wanted, and if you wanted a particular azimuth you rotated the scenery. I've been struggling to fix a Personal EEP sky, every time I have logged in I have had to go through the manual procedure, and the Lindens have never explained that you can't fix a personal default that comes on at login, even if there has to be a delay for inventory to load.

There's always been a delay for your clothes to load, but they don't vanish when you log out. Is it so crazy to think that a personal EEP setting should be as persistent as personal settings such as, oh, your underwear?

The failure to even bother with saying, "At this time, you must set your Personal Lighting whenever you log in to SL," looks like part of the sustained communications failure of Linden Lab which has persisted and worsened for over five years.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

OK, I've submitted a JIRA on this at BUG-228988

I'm not holding my breath, I have a life-long addiction to oxygen.

Funny is, your personal settings are permanent and get saved. Whenever i log in i come back to the exact settings i had when i logged off, without it being a preset. They recently implemented this. Not sure why it wouldn't keep your personal inventory presets permanent but it definitely does keep my local presets permanent.

And now the bug report I submitted is closed. Whirly Fizzle and Alexa Linden knew about an undocumented debug feature, and seem to think this feature is sufficient answer, even though I suggested that poor documentation of the behaviour was part of the problem. They knew, and didn't think they needed to tell anyone.

Words don't fail me, but they wouldn't be suited for polite company. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, arabellajones said:

And now the bug report I submitted is closed. [redacted] and Alexa Linden knew about an undocumented debug feature, and seem to think this feature is sufficient answer, even though I suggested that poor documentation of the behaviour was part of the problem. They knew, and didn't think they needed to tell anyone.

Not sure that you can put this on [redacted], who is not a Linden

but on your point about documentation then Linden do provide this. Is here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Debug_Settings

but then to your point more exactly.  We find this  page, start to read it and go: hmmm! who knew that mud on a page still looks mud !!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.