Copyright and Policy Note for customers

woroschilow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

is there any template that can be used for self-made creations?
Where I can get a copy from?

Second Life has its own policy which is probably protecting to some extent each creation,
but I want to make it as safe and clear as possible to everyone who want to buy my creations.

As a use case example can be seen in the sale of jewelry.

Regards

If you are in the United States then Copyright is automatic and presumed. If you do not live in the United States it does not matter, your creation was created in the United States (because Linden Lab is in the United States) so United States copyright law should apply.

Now if your customer does not live in the United States, and often: even if they DO live in the United States, we will obey any copyright law you supply as long as it happens to fit with whatever we choose to do with it because you actually have no control over it whatsoever unless you choose to litigate it in a court of law. So even trying to press any "I own da copyritez ondiz" will kind of look silly to any potential customer.

Just saying.

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

So even trying to press any "I own da copyritez ondiz" will kind of look silly to any potential customer.

Just saying.

Don't worry about that.
A customer doesn't care if it isn't forced on them.

Whether I'll enforce the lawsuit or not is on another table.
In the first place, I want to be legally safe and suited for that.

This Notes will give me the chance to act fast in any case.

If I have nothing on the table, I'm weak! :D

Also, it's contributing to a professional appearance. ;)

Linden Lab already has your back (because legally: they have to).

I just recently (like in the last week or so) files a DMCA takedown and they were amazingly quick about it. I never included any "copyright terms" notecards or anything like that because the law does not say I have to. It is presumed, under the law. I simply wrote a clear letter, explaining how I was the legal agent (for copyright) - Explained who it was offending that, what it was they were offending, (and a link and SLURL to it) - How it offended my copyright and my RL contact info for email and phone and street address and the name of the company I do it under (Doing Business As)

Then I went to one of those free FAXing web sites and "faxed" it to the phone number listed on that wiki page. Within about two hours it was taken down.

I say that I explained "how" it violated my Intellectual Property right: it was something that triggered something else and that the something they were selling was fine, but it triggered what was mine and they didn't have permission or license to do that.

That was good enough for LL.

The only caveat is that you had better really owned the I.P. for any takedown request you make or be legally authorized to do so. However, it is on YOU to police that stuff - you have to keep trying to find the bootleg copies on Market Place or in world yourself and stuff. But in short, there is no requirement to include any "licensing" nonsense UNLESS you plan to sell full perms (because then it makes sense to add to lawful copyright more restriction like specify cannot resell unless scripted, only copy or transfer, not both and so on).

I'm just pointing out that other than a Full perms license notice: you'll appear both ***** and paranoid because there is no need for it. :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, woroschilow said:

Also, it's contributing to a professional appearance. ;)

Likely the opposite, it will make you seem paranoid.

All your creations are protected under the Berne Convention and you have the USA's DMCA process to take down anything that people do copy (and it will happen)

You get zero extra protection from anything else, except maybe a sneaky watermark hidden in your vertices ;) .

Edited by Shudo
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shudo said:

Likely the opposite, it will make you seem paranoid.

Paranoid? :D
Some people have a big fantasy. I will not deny this. hahaha
It is naive to believe that thieves do not exist in SL and yes they will get their stuff if they want.
The majority of SL players just want to play and they probably never took a look at the policy of SL.
I small reminder before purchase is a good thing.
I don't care, if the majority would think I'm paranoid, as long they follow my policy, the general policy of Lindenlab or even the USA's DMCA.

It isn't professional to give your creations without any clarification about, what people can or can't do with it.

No one will be forced to read or even to see the copyright or policy.
But a clear hint will be there.

1 hour ago, woroschilow said:

It is naive to believe that thieves do not exist in SL and yes they will get their stuff if they want.

Here's where I see the funny in those "this is copyrighted" reminders and no-mod stuff: The creator has some kind of belief their stuff is actually worth the effort and risk to "copybot" and resell their stuff.

Here's the point: Adding those notices is silly. Because it makes you look paranoid to the honest people and the dishonest people couldn't care any less, right?

And I want to be clear: I'm not trying to change your mind whatsoever! LOL I'm just sharing a perspective you may not have thought of.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 4

On 3/21/2019 at 2:19 PM, Alyona Su said:

Here's where I see the funny in those "this is copyrighted" reminders and no-mod stuff: The creator has some kind of belief their stuff is actually worth the effort and risk to "copybot" and resell their stuff.

Here's the point: Adding those notices is silly. Because it makes you look paranoid to the honest people and the dishonest people couldn't care any less, right?

And I want to be clear: I'm not trying to change your mind whatsoever! LOL I'm just sharing a perspective you may not have thought of.

I made my point clear enough in the previous post.

If you really think that creators products have a low or no value, you should think about, why customers purchase or thieves try to get them.

All the big players are doing it. FB, Google, MS, Lindenlab and all good creators in SL.
From a business perspective, it has to be done.

Of course, some people can have a silly perspective on it.
I guess you count yourself to these people? :D

I don't care about their perspective, because they will buy it and I will be on the safe side.

Regards

• Haha 2

Why not just explain in plain English what you want people to (not) do with it?

Copypasting paragraphs of legal text in the product description looks very unappealing and unprofessional. If you wanted it to look more formal, you could go look up different kinds of licenses and put something like "Shared under Creative Commons" at the bottom. Short and sweet.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, woroschilow said:

If you really think that creators products have a low or no value

Where did Alyona mention the actual cash value? I don't see it. Are you talking about the EFFORT and RISK that she questioned the worth of?

On 3/21/2019 at 1:19 PM, Alyona Su said:

The creator has some kind of belief their stuff is actually worth the effort and risk to "copybot" and resell their stuff

'Worth' has more than just a 'cash value' meaning. Is it worth the effort of my time replying to your post? I'm certainly not getting paid for it, nor am I under any delusion that I should be. But the time that I take to do so is worth taking.

39 minutes ago, woroschilow said:

Of course, some people can have a silly perspective on it.
I guess you count yourself to these people?

Carry on belittling people and showing potential customers how you might treat them if they came to you about an issue with your products. You're doing a very good job of it. I've already looked up your store and made a mental note never to shop there or promote it.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Copypasting paragraphs of legal text in the product description looks very unappealing and unprofessional. 

But can also result in fun - as a copyright license done wrong could grant more rights than simply ommiting one =^.^= ...

53 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Where did Alyona mention the actual cash value?

And where did I talked about cash value?

54 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I've already looked up your store and made a mental note never to shop there or promote it.

A very "mature" decision. ;)

I recommend you to read carefully and not judge without understanding the whole point of the discussion.

How about we all stop to argue around, whether it is a wise decision or not to show off some policies and copyrights.
This is each individual their own decision.

I never asked to share any one's perspectives.

From here I quote again what my main question was.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:55 PM, woroschilow said:

is there any template that can be used for self-made creations?
Where I can get a copy from?

If someone can't contribute to this topic, please feel free to leave this conversation.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, woroschilow said:

I never asked to share any one's perspectives.

Obviously you aren't very familiar with how forums work.  The minute you pressed the "Submit Topic" button, control of the thread left your hands. This is a COMMUNITY FORUM and thus, by default, any and all are invited to share their perspectives and opinions.

6 hours ago, woroschilow said:

If someone can't contribute to this topic, please feel free to leave this conversation'

And telling people to leave a conversation around here is pretty much begging for anyone and everyone to come and comment.

• Like 7

I will not attend any silly discussion anymore in this thread.
It's a waste of YOUR precious and most important MY time.

Anyone who is willing to contribute to the topic with help is welcome.
I'll respond.

A discussion which is aiming to talk about clarified perspectives will be ignored.

Regards.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I occasionally drop "Copyright <Year> Name" in places but that's more of a "when was this released/added to".

Your stuff is protected by default under the law.

Your customers (assuming you get any with your attitude) won't care about a legal blurb anymore than they read EULAs before clicking accept.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.