Running multiple avatars

Manyhorses Bailey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

13 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Manyhorses Bailey said:

Many years ago I knew how to run multiple avatars at the same time but I have forgotten how to do that.  Is that still possible in SL? It was probably 10 years ago.  Thank you.

and indeed this by Kathryn is right

59 minutes ago, KathrynLisbeth said:

Preferences / Advanced /  Allow Multiple Viewers

my addition would be not to use a full viewer to spare your machine :)  i'd recommend a viewer like Radegast or other low impact one for the accounts that only need basic presence.

• Like 1

Kathryn has the correct answer (ding ding ding!)

However, you can run multiple viewers WITHOUT selecting "run multiple viewers" if you run different models of the viewer...for example, Firestorm 32 bit version and Firestorm 64 bit version, or Singularity and the standard LL viewer, etc.

It really helps if you have a lot of screen real estate...dual monitors, or at least one very large one!

I disagree with Ethan that one needs a "lite" viewer...unless your computer is pretty marginal.

• Like 2

And.....   for double, triple, or quadruple avatar fun.    Figure out the right graphics combos, and use them saved graphics presets!    

Graphics presets  -  Located in the top right!    Yup right there.   That thing that looks like a monitor, next to the clock...   Nuuuu not the red X!  

Collars/RLV does come in handy for this application too.  Can drag them all along together, force sit your alt / alts, and force tp them.   It is much easier to learn the RLV stuffs, if you are driving both avatars.     Don't worry, is not really that kinky to force tp your own self to a store or anything.  

Oops.   Not Alts, that might be a bad word, according to some.  *rolls eyes, loud enough that the click you heard earlier was me as I was typing this* 

I shall henceforth refer to them as 'Models'.  Until i forget and type alts again.   Dangit!  I typed it.   

Edited by KathrynLisbeth
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I disagree with Ethan that one needs a "lite" viewer...unless your computer is pretty marginal.

you can disagree, but you say in fact the same as i did.. to make load on the machine less.
And running 5 times firestorm will slow down even the most powerfull consumers pc. No matter what setting.

Running two viewers does not double the computer load. Computers focus on a single task at a time. So, while the viewer does continue to run in background, a viewer setting reduces the amount of CPU/graphics power it uses. That setting is a user controlled value.

If you open the viewer's Stats panel (Ctrl-Shift-1) and then click way from the viewer so it loses focus, you can see the FPS plunge.

Anything can be overdone. Running 2 viewers is a ways from overdone. But, 'overdone' is determined by the individual computer. Some computers will have a challenge with even just the second instance of a viewer.

I can have 3 avatars logged on at once, all with Firestorm, and not have any issues.  As Nalates said, once the viewer loses focus, it isn't really working much.  The biggest "need" when I'm running multiple viewers is computer memory, because even when they go out of focus, the Firestorm viewer instances do not give up their memory.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I can have 3 avatars logged on at once, all with Firestorm, and not have any issues.  As Nalates said, once the viewer loses focus, it isn't really working much.  The biggest "need" when I'm running multiple viewers is computer memory, because even when they go out of focus, the Firestorm viewer instances do not give up their memory.

There is a little known FS option that allows viewers in the background to work at full speed.  It is for those with multiple monitors to run one or more viewers on each.  It is needed because only one viewer can actually have focus.  See below, setting the value to zero allows the viewer to run at full speed:

1969660622_ViewerPreferences-LosingFocus.thumb.jpg.11e7ce2e4e8ac0174aeb97469743612c.jpg

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Strange.  The biggest need I have is my own memory.  It doesn't take me long to get confused and start talking to myself, quite literally.

I was once setting up at an event and had two logged in and started arguing with myself for giggles, it was very entertaining. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.