Why are notifications GMT but everything else is PST?

Fmeh Tagore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been on SL for 12 years, and a frustration I've always had is that group notifications are always in GMT, yet everything else is PST.  On another forum, people are telling me that their notifications come in as PST--if that's the case, then there's something wrong with my account that has been messed up for the entire 12 years.

Are notifications supposed to be in GMT?

Thanks,

--Kizz

gmt.jpg

33 minutes ago, Fmeh Tagore said:

Yes, group notices are in GMT on the LL viewer.

Some TPV viewers may have chosen to change group notice times to PST or give you the option of setting group notices to PST or GMT.

Firestorm changed group notice times to SLT 3 years ago: https://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-17313

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fmeh Tagore said:

Does anyone know why they chose to make notifications GMT?  It's such a strange thing to do as far as I'm concerned.

It's the universal time.
Many servers run GMT.
Clever programmers stick to storing times as Zulu.

It's possible/probable the notifications, when stored in the database are stored Zulu.

If anything, the weird thing is that the game shows PST and not Zulu as the default.

• Like 3

Just now, Callum Meriman said:

It's the universal time.
Many servers run GMT.
Clever programmers stick to storing times as Zulu.

It's possible/probable the notifications, when stored in the database are stored Zulu.

If anything, the weird thing is that the game shows PST and not Zulu as the default.

I'll agree with that, yes.  The whole game should be GMT.  Consistency is the main thing though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ellestones said:

i would prefer LL to name it SLT. Pick either PST or GMT I don't mind which. Just label everywhere in the viewer as SLT

what about when its daylight savings time? At least GMT never changes. Its a simple one time calculation to figure out your time in relationship to GMT. Just don't forget the correction for the summer 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phorumities said:

I have 3 clocks at my place, one for SLT, one for EST (my time zone) and one for my partner's time, who lives in Britain.

We have a bunch of clocks in our house, set to all different times, there's probably at least a few dozen. We even still have those big plastic wall clocks made to look like a watch, from the 80s, lmao. 

They serve no real purpose, none of them are the right time, in any time zone, we just think it's funny to make people seem to question their very existence when they look at them and realize none of them say the same thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Personally, I wish they could optionally display them in local time.

thinking about this more. I like it

like with any viewer UI time display. Can set Preferences to SLT (PST, GMT, whichever) or Local Time

then when click on a UI datetime it toggles. So when say get an event notice in SLT. Cick on the event time and it says my local time. Click again and is SLT

i vote for this 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

We have a bunch of clocks in our house, set to all different times, there's probably at least a few dozen. We even still have those big plastic wall clocks made to look like a watch, from the 80s, lmao. 

They serve no real purpose, none of them are the right time, in any time zone, we just think it's funny to make people seem to question their very existence when they look at them and realize none of them say the same thing. 

You have clocks that can speak!? :o

Made you look. 

:P

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You have clocks that can speak!? :o

Lmao, actually, yes :D  We have two cuckoo clocks, one grandfather clock (well, working) and this digital clock that tells the hour every hour (I have no idea where that one came from)

1 hour ago, animats said:

The day/night cycle is on Arizona time, where the servers are. Arizona does not do DST, nor does the day/night cycle.

I agree that Arizona does not observe DST except on the Navajo Nation. It has Mountain Standard Time year round.

From March to November, the West Coast changes to Pacific Daylight Time, equivalent to MST. Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, Vancouver all share the same time with Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon. Come November to March, all time zones revert to their proper standard times. It's 2:35am MST now on my puter, but it's 1:34am PST/SLT. I hope this is not confusing.

The Lab does have offices and servers in the Phoenix area (Chandler), they are likely tied to PST/PDT for easier book keeping (SLT), this brings up the day/night cycle you mentioned. It's doubtful that LL would use a particular geographical area for that one reason. If they do, it's probably tied to the San Francisco area if not arbitrarily programmed.

I hope this suggestion helps.

16 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

A day is only 4 hours long in Arizona? 

If that were so true in late July/August when the temps hit 112+.

11 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

What languages do they speak? Wow. Talking clocks. Whodathunkit. O.o

Well the cuckoos speak in cuckoo, and the grandfather speaks in hourly dongs

The digital clock-the only one that actually says words, speaks English (but it too, is wrong, rofl)

6 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Well the cuckoos speak in cuckoo, and the grandfather speaks in hourly dongs

The digital clock-the only one that actually says words, speaks English (but it too, is wrong, rofl)

I suspected as much. 

Look at you.

Yanking my chain while I was yanking yours. 

I think I like that. xD

On 22 November 2018 at 3:56 AM, Fmeh Tagore said:

It's simple really...

Proper Scientific Time, was first invented in England, by Redcoats, at Greenwich, to facilitate global navigation by the Royal Navy, making it easier to deliver Redcoats to foreign places, and teach the inhabitants to drink tea, lose gracefully at cricket, and wear Proper British Trousers...

Hence "Greenwich Mean Time"...

Other inferior foreign times were not invented scientifically, and are based on people simply looking up at the sky and asking "is it time for lunch yet?"

As you can see, GMT is all part of the plan to "Make the World England"!

Resistance is FUTILE!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

It's simple really...

Proper Scientific Time, was first invented in England, by Redcoats, at Greenwich, to facilitate global navigation by the Royal Navy, making it easier to deliver Redcoats to foreign places, and teach the inhabitants to drink tea, lose gracefully at cricket, and wear Proper British Trousers...

Hence "Greenwich Mean Time"...

Other inferior foreign times were not invented scientifically, and are based on people simply looking up at the sky and asking "is it time for lunch yet?"

As you can see, GMT is all part of the plan to "Make the World England"!

Resistance is FUTILE!

Doesn't seem to be working out so well these days.

cbe2b59a-screen-shot-2018-08-29-at-14.56

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Can't you keep politics out of anything?

Who me?

1. It was intended to be humorous, not political.

2. I don't bring up politics in every thread I post in. You must be confusing me with the two people who do.

If you weren't referring to me, disregard this post.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.