̶W̶H̶O̶ ̶W̶I̶L̶L̶ ̶A̶W̶A̶R̶D̶ ̶M̶E̶ ̶M̶Y̶ ̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶0̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶ ̶3̶0̶0̶T̶H̶ ̶R̶E̶P̶U̶T̶A̶T̶I̶O̶N̶ ̶P̶O̶I̶N̶T̶?̶?̶ I WANT TO THANK ALL THE LITTLE PEOPLE . . .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And even for those I've had contact with, the in-world dynamic is so different than exchanging DMs and posts that it's been worthwhile spending time in-world. (Perhaps Maddy can concur, or not.)

Absolutely! There's too much time to think out here in the forums. The in-world dynamic is more like RL banter, where you've got to be on your toes and the conversation can turn on a dime. That's challenging and I love it. In-world, it's possible to virtually manifest the absurdity we can only talk about out here. I can set people on fire, others can have zoos in their living rooms. That's additional bandwidth for establishing connections.

I don't think there's anyone I've met on the forums who doesn't "feel" different in-world, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. People who run circles around others out here might be unable to keep up in-world, and people who're timid in public can blossom in real-time IM.

One of my favorite people was a formidable intellectual presence here in the forums, able to go toe-to-toe with me on any subject and hold her own. I enjoyed her presence, but she was challenging. She was also a slow typist, which only became apparent in-world. Once I slowed down to let her catch up, I discovered that she was every bit as sharp there as here, and considerably warmer. Long IM chats with her were effortlessly delightful.

It can go the other way as well. I've witnessed more than one forum troll hopelessly left behind in in-world public chat. A room can pick up on that, and I've wondered if that isn't a motivation for bullying in venues where they can keep up. Here they have the time to gather their thoughts while watching the group dynamics, and can borrow 20 IQ points from Google, as I often do.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Did it hurt?

In truth, it was a little disconcerting to see my avatar with a distended belly (via sliders) for the few moments I feigned pregnancy. But I'm a tough girl and I endured it to get one step closer to world domination via my eight legged offspring.

It would have been easier to birth 23 spiders, but I didn't think of that at the time. So late we get so smart.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

In truth, it was a little disconcerting to see my avatar with a distended belly (via sliders) for the few moments I feigned pregnancy. But I'm a tough girl and I endured it to get one step closer to world domination via my eight legged offspring.

It would have been easier to birth 23 spiders, but I didn't think of that at the time. So late we get so smart.

Giving birth to even 1 octopus reminds me of Princess Clara from Drawn Together. She had this um..problem. It was like an octopus.

• Like 1

Whether or not it was the main burden of her post, Maddy put herself across as a "formidable intellectual presence". She may or may not be the most "formidable intellectual presence" we have in the forum, but it's conceited (imo) to say so. As it is she said that there was a "formidable intellectual presence" who could go toe-to-toe with her on any subject "and hold her own". The implication is that Maddy herself sees herself as not only a "formidable intellectual presence" but possibly even more formidable an intellectual presence than the person she was talking about. And that struck me as being very conceited.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

Scylla, aren't you supposed to be on your way to school?  Or is that first lecture really boring?

(We'll really miss you around here and hope you come back soon and often...or even that you'll squeeze us in and stick around, we do!  But we also want you to SHINE!)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh good lord, Phil. Really? This is something you feel that strongly enough about?

Grab another cup of coffee. You clearly need it.

Phil hasn't changed a bit, Scylla. That's quite comforting in a way ;)

P. S. Prepare for several pages of this...

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Scylla, aren't you supposed to be on your way to school?  Or is that first lecture really boring?

(We'll really miss you around here and hope you come back soon and often...or even that you'll squeeze us in and stick around, we do!  But we also want you to SHINE!)

Well yes yes. Fiiiiine.

I don't really do mornings, though.

ta ta!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.