How do you change your display name?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte, this is what happens when you go off to Elba for too long. A lot of stuff happens and you have to catch up upon your return.

Actually, honestly, you're doing fine. Asking questions is a good way to find things out.

Edited by Ivanova Shostakovich

6 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

@EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte, this is what happens when you go off to Elba for too long. A lot of stuff happens and you have to catch up upon your return.

Actually, honestly, you're doing fine. Asking questions is a good way to find things out.

Oh, mon Dieu ! I didn’t go off to Elba! Reading your comment is making me laugh. XD

Yes, I know that lots of stuff happens while one is absent. My imagination allows me to see the many different possible stuff that happens whenever I’m gone from any website I’ve visited before. I expected some updates that perhaps change the website’s appearance, people I’ve met making newer friends I’ve never met, people talking about me or other people, and many more. I also imagine that some of these people already have hosted parties or group events while I’m gone. Lots of news happen around the world.

After a year had passed, I’m surprised that you’re still active. It’s just that whenever I’ve met someone, those people just stop going online less than a year later. Perhaps they either got bored of their accounts or quit visiting certain websites without telling anybody much about themselves.

Edited by EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte

16 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I cannot speak for others, but in my case, I racked up almost 8,000 posts when they moved the forums to this current system and basically incinerated the old forums. Everyone had to start over from zero.

This may have already been responded to but in case it hasn't...

Not everyone's post count started from zero with this version of the forum. My post count is from the day I first posted in the original forum. That would have been in 2007.

Join dates: The orginal forum showed the date you first posted in it, and not the date you joined SL. I joined SL in 2006, but my join date in the forum is 2009 which, according to Ceka, is to do with a change of forum software. Even so, my orginal join date as was originally shown in the forum was the date I first posted in the forum, and not the date I joined SL. My post count has always carried forward through softare changes.

Edited by Phil Deakins

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

Not everyone's post count started from zero with this version of the forum. My post count is from the day I first posted in the original forum. That would have been in 2007.

Join dates: The orginal forum showed the date you first posted in it, and not the date you joined SL. I joined SL in 2006, but my join date in the forum is 2009 which, according to Ceka, is to do with a change of forum software. Even so, my orginal join date as was originally shown in the forum was the date I first posted in the forum, and not the date I joined SL. My post count has always carried forward through softare changes.

I may be misremembering the join date bit (it has been a while, right?) My post count didn't carry forward, but it's not really important to me. I Also tend to lurk a lot more these days, too.

I remember when this forum version started, that somepeople's post counts had zeroed, and some hadn't. At least that's what I think I remember. Mine certainly hasn't zeroed with any change of forum software, but yours has, so it must be true :)

I didn't notice the forum join date changing, but I distinctly remember that the orginal join date as seen in the forum, was specifically for the forum, and was different to the SL join date.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

After a year had passed, I’m surprised that you’re still active. It’s just that whenever I’ve met someone, those people just stop going online less than a year later. Perhaps they either got bored of their accounts or quit visiting certain websites without telling anybody much about themselves.

Many of us have been here in SL for over a decade.  Some of the original folks from 2003 are even still around.

That said, some of us have taken breaks off & on.  Between 2010 and 2017, my inworld time and forum time dropped drastically.  My forum time mostly dropped because they changed software in 2009/2010 and I hated it.  They revamped software again in 2017 and I started spending more time in the forums again.

41 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I think we have two join dates, the first when we create our SL accounts, and the second when we start participating in the forums.

And the forum date seems to be from when they did the software change back in 2009.  At least that is the date on my forum account, but I've been posting since 2007.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And the forum date seems to be from when they did the software change back in 2009.  At least that is the date on my forum account, but I've been posting since 2007.

Oh maybe not - I just looked at mine and it' October '07. ~throws arms up into the air!~

Hahaha, really all a moot point though. ?

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I was referring to the old forums not the version after the first..

The first showed SL join date,the next version showed the date you first posted in them..I didn't join in 2009 either..My post count didn't carrier over from the original forums..maybe it did for some..

I joined SL on July 31 2006.. I didn't even know about the forums until months later..So it's showing my SL join date in the first version.

mine is the 6th post down :P

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/85/252954/1.html

Edited by Ceka Cianci

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Yeah, my old original forum profile date of Oct 2007, which is about the time the Lil knocked my original Main out, locked her in a closet somewhere, and took over for good.

19 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Whatever happened to Rha?

Last login is showing late June of this year, but I haven't see her or talked to her in years.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 4:43 AM, Callum Meriman said:

Those with space - like me - are "entitled lastnamers"

Entitled?, nay sir....superior is the word you are looking for. For a lowly 'resident' to gaze upon a last namer is comparable to that of a mortal viewing a god. We are the old ones, the wise ones, the hermits of the virtual forests and caves who remember the times of old when the prim ruled as king and the druids of our age tortured and made sacrifices to the gods of old to create shapes one never thought would be possible from objects perceived to be so limited. A time when even the lowliest of us could start creating without needing to learn 342 other pieces of software, when the system body reigned supreme and clothing was as simple as right click creating and applying a texture. A time when those less in the know bowed in awe when the Priestesses Of The Prims presented us with spiral staircases created solely out of a single prim. When hair could be created and modified by moving a few sliders and  homesteads cost the same as a 1/4 sim and could hold just as many people as a full region. The successes, hardships and struggles we faced in developing this world will never be known by theses so called single namers. To say we are entitled is an injustice. To these lowly single namers we are deities who they should worship, respect, adore. Entitled you say?....SUPERIOR say I !

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

So was I ;)

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/1b/342557/1.html

I'm 3rd up from the bottom. It shows a join date of 17th January 2007, but my SL join date is 22nd December 2006.

Either you used the forum on the same day that you signed up for SL, and forgot about it, or somebody tweaked a setting so that the forum showed its own date, but it's the same forum.

The first of those possibilities isn't so far fetched. I started to use the forum later in 2007. At that time I barely remember that there was a forum, let alone that I'd previously logged into it.

Edited by Phil Deakins

19 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Many of us have been here in SL for over a decade.  Some of the original folks from 2003 are even still around.

That said, some of us have taken breaks off & on.  Between 2010 and 2017, my inworld time and forum time dropped drastically.  My forum time mostly dropped because they changed software in 2009/2010 and I hated it.  They revamped software again in 2017 and I started spending more time in the forums again.

It's quite funny that a decade ago, I was less than 10 years old. If you were referring to 2008, I was 10 years old by then. You wouldn't expect a child like me to go on websites like that because I was still young and playing games suitable for my age. I did know about IMVU through websites, but I never joined due to my age and my strict parents. Plus, my teachers wouldn't be happy about that.

In 2003, I was still small. I was 5 years old, so I couldn't join. From looking at the pictures when Second Life first came out, it seemed interesting how it was like back then compared to today? I couldn't join because I didn't know about it. I was in Kindergarten. How come people from back then are still around right now? I'm surprised that they're still alive and well.

Someone else told me about that software change thing used for the forums. Second Life archived the old forums and replaced it with a newer one. What did you hate about the software in 2009/2010? What was wrong with it? Was it laggy?

6 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

So was I ;)

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/1b/342557/1.html

I'm 3rd up from the bottom. It shows a join date of 17th January 2007, but my SL join date is 22nd December 2006.

Either you used the forum on the same day that you signed up for SL, and forgot about it, or somebody tweaked a setting so that the forum showed its own date, but it's the same forum.

The first of those possibilities isn't so far fetched. I started to use the forum later in 2007. At that time I barely remember that there was a forum, let alone that I'd previously logged into it.

Nope,I didn't use the forums on the first day.. I went straight in world with my friends...My join date showed the whole time I was there using the forums..

I remember having a problem in world and someone telling me about the forums being a good place to ask for help..That's why I ended up in Resident Answers..

I didn't even know we had forums until months later.. So it's not a matter of me forgetting that I used them on the first day.. I didn't even know they existed until months later.

Edited by Ceka Cianci

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Nope,I didn't use the forums on the first day.. I went straight in world with my friends...My join date showed the whole time I was there using the forums..

I WISH that I joined the forums day 1. Y’all are a lot more entertaining than I would have imagined.

Alright, but as you can see, we were talking about the same version of the forum, and not earlier and later versions as you suggested.

And you can see that, when I joined SL a few months after you, and later sign-up into the forum, the forum showed the forum sign-up date, and not the SL sign-up date.

So they must have tweaked that forum after you first logged into it, to show the forum sign-up date instead of the SL sign-up date, which is what it shows for me.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I WISH that I joined the forums day 1. Y’all are a lot more entertaining than I would have imagined.

You may wish that but it wasn't always more entertaining than it is now, although it often was. I just started a thread to show that nothing really changes :)

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

Alright, but as you can see, we were talking about the same version of the forum, and not earlier and later versions.

And you can see that, when I joined SL a few months after you, and later sign-up into the forum, the forum showed the forum sign-up date, and not the SL sign-up date.

So they must have tweaked that forum after you first logged into it, to show the forum sign-up date instead of the SL sign-up date, which is what it shows for me.

I'm going to do this one last time..

My first post,I was talking about the first version of the forums and the second version of the forums..

The first version of the forums showed SL join date..It did for me ,it might not have for you..why I don't know..Maybe they changed something from when I joined and you joined.

When they made the second version of the forums,It showed the day we joined the forums.. Our post counts did not carry over to the second version of the forums..

As far as the post count part..You were saying, they forwarded your post count to the second version of the forums?

The first version of the forums,You had 9,537  posts.. all these years later and You're at 11,090 posts now..

Are you gonna to say that since the very first version of the forums,through all the like, three or four versions of the forums since, that you have only posted 1,553 times? since like 2009 or 10?

22 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Well yeah, I joined SL in maybe 2006, forum shows just a couple years ago. ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.