Someone gave me Lindens...

hidden Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, so I have not been on in a long time. Like, months/years (actively). One of my friends gave me lindens out of the blue randomly when I got on. Kinda acted a little weird around why she gave me it. It was only 1,000L. Dont get me wrong, I appreciated it and was happy. However, I always question things...I told my friend and she said Linden labs can ban you if someone gave you lindens they got through bad means...will I get banned if this is infact,"tainted money"??? Or am I just being too paranoid and just accept the gift?

1000 is nothing, (less then a Starbucks) I've dropped more than that on random new people.

However, random gifting is a technique that some phishers will use to launder the funds, I won't go into the full details. So your other friend is partially correct.

In a super worst case, would you be banned? I doubt it. For such a small amount, if it were stolen, the most that might happen is the Lab take it out of your account. For a larger amount they might prevent your login for a day or so until everything can be investigated, but that's not really a ban, and not for just 1k.

I really wouldn't worry. However, if you are still scared you can just send it to an avatar named "Governor Linden" and forget all about it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, hidden Loon said:

she just resends it

if you gave it back and then was given to you again, then keep it. Like Pamela said, is hardly going to be a Fincen investigation into it

if you are totally freaked about it then pay it to Governor Linden account. When you pay Governor Linden, send a IM saying why you gave to Governor, who gave it to you, and that you don't want it

edit: What Callum said :D

Edited by ellestones
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, hidden Loon said:

Okay, so I have not been on in a long time. Like, months/years (actively). One of my friends gave me lindens out of the blue randomly when I got on. Kinda acted a little weird around why she gave me it. It was only 1,000L. Dont get me wrong, I appreciated it and was happy. However, I always question things...I told my friend and she said Linden labs can ban you if someone gave you lindens they got through bad means...will I get banned if this is infact,"tainted money"??? Or am I just being too paranoid and just accept the gift?

You never told me it was a friend, you made it seem like it was some random that just messaged you when you entered a sim xD. Then your fine, the only reason I said you might get banned is because recently iv seen people be given amounts as low as 2k by people acting weirdly and suddenly their account is on hold due to *insert reasons of money here*. If is a friend giving you money then thats fine, keep it, spend it, take yourself to one of the adult sims and find yourself a nice sex starved kink zombie who will exchange you a fun night for some new hair!.

Hi Hidden!

You're right that some people use stolen $L to get innocent people in trouble by giving it to them.  However, in those cases, it usually comes from someone you don't know, and it's a larger amount, like maybe $L10,000.

In any case, if you are worried about this you can file a support case.  Include the data from your Transaction Log and ask LL whether the money is legitimate or not.  If it is stolen $L, they'll take it from your account, but you won't get in trouble (although your account might be put on hold for a day or so while they look into it).  If it is an honest gift (which it probably is), then you can go shopping with a clear conscience!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

Early in my SL life, before I had figured out how to see where money came from. I was given L$5000 from someone, I assumed  it was a friend, but every friend i asked denied it.

That was me. I asked you to look after it for me. I hope you're still looking after it - I'll probably need it very soon now.

• Haha 7

50 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

That was me. I asked you to look after it for me. I hope you're still looking after it - I'll probably need it very soon now.

OK soon as I find a big box, I will send you the shoes I bought with it.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Pfft, it's no fun unless you put the box inside a delivery HUD, inside another box! Extra points if that box is only delivered after rezzing some object in world.

I think I just found a new hobby

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Giving people boxes containing boxes ad infinitum

This is incredibly fun for family Christmas. One does need a lot of patience to do it troll well, but if one has a particularly annoying nephew, start huge and do the whole Matryoshka Doll of gift wrapping bit, to end up with.... socks.

proxy.duckduckgo_com.thumb.jpg.39360ce5ca7a681f315f5f0b02f122e9.jpg

Edited by Callum Meriman
Added the picture, just... because.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

This is incredibly fun for family Christmas. One does need a lot of patience to do it troll well, but if one has a particularly annoying nephew, start huge and do the whole Matryoshka Doll of gift wrapping bit, to end up with.... socks.

proxy.duckduckgo_com.thumb.jpg.39360ce5ca7a681f315f5f0b02f122e9.jpg

Saw a video of a family cheering on a boy to open boxes within boxes, final box contained..nothing, I think.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.