looking for a security orb that only ejects listed people

Zeta Vandyke

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have bought quite a few already, some very advanced, some very simple, but even the ones with blacklist have the same basic function: eject everyone that enters if not whitelisted. I want one that functions just as a ban list on the parcel menu, but without having the 300 person limit. So not eject/ban anyone unless they are blacklisted. Any suggestions? Would be a plus if it also has age check on account to eject newly created accounts :)

@Zeta Vandyke

I'm curious about a few things, Zeta.

One is, is 300 the limit for a land's ban list?

Another is, why would you expect or need to exceed 300 in a banned list? I'm not suggesting that you didn't ought to exceed 300. I'm just wondering why, that's all.

The last is, very roughly, how big a number do you expect to be in the banned list? The reason I ask that is because a mono script can hold less than 600 UUIDs. It can be used as data storage, but it still need a little programming in it, as well as the data, to make use of them, so it could hold significantly less than 600. Multiple data storage scripts can be used, if course, but I'm wondering what your expectation is.

Edited by Phil Deakins

As best I can tell, 300 is the limit for a parcel banlist, with another 500 for the Estate banlist. As Maestro commented in jira, these are instantaneous limits; staying below them is typically easy if bans are kept to reasonable durations (say five minutes, or certainly no more than a few hours except for extreme repeat offenders).

As Phil says, going much beyond 300 adds a tremendous step-function of complexity to a script. If I had to do that today, I would never consider adding a "memory" script but instead insist on using the KVP persistent storage of a land-scope Experience -- and even then, I'd try to keep the active banlist to a bare minimum.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

As best I can tell, 300 is the limit for a parcel banlist, with another 500 for the Estate banlist. As Maestro commented in jira, these are instantaneous limits; staying below them is typically easy if bans are kept to reasonable durations (say five minutes, or certainly no more than a few hours except for extreme repeat offenders).

As Phil says, going much beyond 300 adds a tremendous step-function of complexity to a script. If I had to do that today, I would never consider adding a "memory" script but instead insist on using the KVP persistent storage of a land-scope Experience -- and even then, I'd try to keep the active banlist to a bare minimum.

Her problem is running a tip based operation that disencourages non-tippers by banning them ... So I kinda understand she wants a bigger banlist.

Just now, Fionalein said:

Her problem is running a tip based operation that disencourages non-tippers by banning them ... So I kinda understand she wants a bigger banlist.

Oh. Well in that case, I'd definitely script-up a KVP "database" of visitors to remember the VIP big-tippers as well as the freeloaders. (Although I gotta say, in a world with limitless alts, what a difficult business model.)

Rather than a security orb (which I have never liked those anyway as I see them a rude-tool for the paranoid) - since you already have a list of names, why not just list them into the "never allow" section of the Parcel access list" Only they will see ban lines and no one else (unless you turn them on for everyone). Of course, if you're renting from another SL user then it may be time to consider buying your own land if granular access control is important to you.

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Yeah, would most likely be easier to write a slot machine AV-Sitter plugin that enables you to only sit on furniture after paying for your time...

I'm pretty sure I saw a plug-in for this very feature at least a year or two ago. And even if one is no longer available AVsitter has APIs and is even now open source and free, so it should be doable by having your "payment" script change the access level through the "security" module by switching access from owner to everyone. Just saying. :):)

Edited by Alyona Su

4 hours ago, Fionalein said:

so if a non tipper is banned doesn't  that prevent them from returning sometime in the future and maybe tipping next time?

18 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I'm a little busy for the moment but if I you don't get a reply I'll see if I can alter it for you tonight.

Thank you very much for your time and effort :) Got the package!

8 hours ago, Fionalein said:

You have to look harder. My 5 minutes research brought up one without age function but they sell an seperate age orb as well...

Well some look like what I need on MP discription, but end up not functioning as well. Most do have blacklist but also just eject anyone not on a whitelist. But I have to admit, after building for a week, I might have not had the sharpest eye/mind anymore ;)

9 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Another is, why would you expect or need to exceed 300 in a banned list? I'm not suggesting that you didn't ought to exceed 300. I'm just wondering why, that's all.

I have an adult entertainment sim, that attracts loads of people that somehow think adult means you don't have to have manners, common sense or any respect for the workers sadly. My current sim was on 260 bans in 6 months.

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Although I gotta say, in a world with limitless alts, what a difficult business model

It is! haha. But moderating well and banning the unwanted ones by dozens at start, did result in getting a big amount of people who appreciate the sim without all the freeloaders. So its still fun. Will never get me rich, but not the goals for me. Work is for RL.

3 hours ago, Phorumities said:

so if a non tipper is banned doesn't  that prevent them from returning sometime in the future and maybe tipping next time?

It does, though 95% of those banned don't intend to tip, they freeload all over SL. And the ones that do, they usualy send a message apologizing and get unbanned.

Looking back over the comments ... There will be a limit to the number of names you can add to the black list before the script crash with a stack-heap collision. The low tech solution is to simply put out another orb with the next set of names ... with increased sim resource usage to go with it so maybe set the scan times back a bit to help compensate. 

I am very much a LSL hack.  I like to dabble and play.  I can see where a robust system could be made including an "opt in" message at the TP point, remote point of sale triggers that then call the central database, plus we need to toss the intruder before they can sit.
--- and this gets beyond play and into work and I'm lazy.

• 3 weeks later...

A single dedicated script can store up to 500 agent names (or keys). Several such modules with parallel search can support storing a very large number of agents. This however is a pretty advanced scripting so not for LSL beginners and/or amateurs. Sequential search wouldn't work of course because takes way too long.

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2018 at 2:29 PM, Ela Talaj said:

A single dedicated script can store up to 500 agent names (or keys). Several such modules with parallel search can support storing a very large number of agents. This however is a pretty advanced scripting so not for LSL beginners and/or amateurs. Sequential search wouldn't work of course because takes way too long.

You can build entire data centers within SL that way.

datacenter_002.thumb.jpg.716bb34bdc5b32c42285d5989ce1f6ee.jpg

Yes, SL has data centers.

SL has servers. Some run multiple vendors. "Skill Gaming Regions" usually have a few racks of equipment behind the scenes running the gambling. There are equipment rooms that coordinate traffic lights. While any prim can act as a server, some builders make their servers look like servers.

At some point, it's easier to connect to an outside server and get access to real compute power, but it's possible to do quite a bit entirely within SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.