Teleporting Without Intervention

Turokhan Legion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have been googling teleportation without intervention, but really doing my head in.. can't find anything, anywhere.

I have a door, that has a co-ordinate for the user (owner or guests) to interact with, which in turns throws up the Map using llMapDestination and you have to click on teleport.. how very 90's.

I know the star-gates do it, but am looking for a solution such that when you walk through the door of one of my products, you are teleported to the position automatically as opposed to having to touch the teleport button on the map (makes it less fun for the user)

Any help or snippets appreciated, i can adopt the code into mine, just need the function in order to teleport the agent who will collide with the door.

That's what we have Experience tools for.  The LSL function llTeleportAgent does exactly what you are asking, but you do need to use it in an Experience.  As always, when you are looking for information about how SL works, your best sources of information are inside SL, not in Google.  In this case, start with the Knowledge Base article on Experiences ...  

1 hour ago, Turokhan Legion said:

Are the gates using exp then? If not id like to know how it's done.

Just use an experience, they only have to accept once. Just make sure the initial request is something innocuous, obvious and your experience has a friendly name.

Experience tools really started off on the wrong foot and people are wary of all  the "evil" they could do .. the huge SCARY warning message from LL doesn't help and should be trimmed back. It's nothing like granting an object debt permissions which people routinely do without a second thought half the time.

• Like 1

I'd like to have the option to experience teleport "quietly", without the "whoosh" and visuals. Train goes into tunnel, avatar gets teleported to identical train in another sim and seated in the same seat, new train pulls out of tunnel in new sim.

New Babbage has a train which tries to do that, but you just get dumped on the ground at the destination. Now that experiences are working, upgrade time. (Or, as they say in New Babbage, it's something for the annual Oiling Festival.)

NOT A SCRIPT PERSON --

BUT, the doors on the Realms work the way you want without any experiences (I personally almost never opt into those). There was code for that posted somewhere way back when that others used. (again, not a script person). Also they have this method all over OpenSim -- where you walk through a "door" and are teleported to a certain spot. So likely it is still possible to do without an experience.

Unfortunately, that all that I know about it.  Good luck.

11 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Attached objects, as I recall, are granted PERMISSION_TELEPORT silently when they ask for it.

IIRC, this used to be the case until after the grid wide massacre on Monday, June 4th, 2012 where dozens of griefers spent half the day traveling the grid force teleporting everyone in a region to other remote regions. This was due to a permissions exploit with the teleport functions. After that incident, LL changed a few key areas of functionality in the name of security, weakening performance. Most notably, explicit permissions request dialog when requesting teleport permissions even from an attachment and a 2 second throttle added.

8 hours ago, Turokhan Legion said:

Are the gates using exp then? If not id like to know how it's done.

I have the latest version as a freebie on marketplace also, if you are more comfortable with something already packaged up.

Edited by Erwin Solo
additional info

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

NOT A SCRIPT PERSON --

BUT, the doors on the Realms work the way you want without any experiences (I personally almost never opt into those). There was code for that posted somewhere way back when that others used. (again, not a script person). Also they have this method all over OpenSim -- where you walk through a "door" and are teleported to a certain spot. So likely it is still possible to do without an experience.

Unfortunately, that all that I know about it.  Good luck.

In my case Linden Realms and Horizons are LL experiences that seem to be permanent fixtures to which I was automatically joined and which I cannot leave: the "Forget" buttons are greyed out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KT Kingsley said:

In my case Linden Realms and Horizons are LL experiences that seem to be permanent fixtures to which I was automatically joined and which I cannot leave: the "Forget" buttons are greyed out.

But the realms were around LONG before "Experiences" came into being. I have never seen an opt in Experience button there (or my alts). I never went to Horizons as it was when opened just for premium AND it got pretty horrible "reviews" :D.

That doesn't explain the ability to do the walk into the portal and teleport without a message events that happen daily in Opensim. 

So if someone actually knows what happened to that code from 2011 and if it is still viable then I for certain would like to know. Always a curious kitty.

I am confused about where you see the Realms and Horizons experience that you cannot leave.

Here is right before entering the Portal at the Park - no experiences listed:

portal.thumb.PNG.bf5136514ec36bc430387061d345820b.PNG

And here is after arrival. There was no "please accept this experience" dialog at all.

Works just as it has (from a users experience) as it has for seven years.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5f5edf17e7ad1aa5b4be96019c5b_portalafter.thumb.PNG.a46173a1e35422396bd736636ba9d502.PNG

Edited by Chic Aeon

That's odd. For me in both Firestorm (Avatar/Experiences...) and the LL viewer (Me/Experiences...) both Linden Realms and Horizons are listed indelibly - as in I'm not allowed to "forget" them. (I tried both viewers because I wondered if Firestorm might be exposing things the LL viewer kept hidden.)

I did just fire up an alt who has neither listed in either viewer.

I'm pretty sure I've had a quick look at both those places at some time or another, and I'm definite that the alt never has.

So... I took the alt to Horizons A1/Horizons Homebase and lo... the Horizons HUD automatically attached itself, and the Horizons experience appeared in the Avatar/Experiences... floater, all without so much as a by-your-leave (as in nobody and nothing asked for any permission to do so).

And yes, the experience does not appear in the About Land floater there, either.

So I guess the Lab is invoking its supernatural powers when it comes to these experiences. And possibly they were able to do things with llTeleportAgent (or a private more powerful version of their own) that weren't available to mere mortals.

1 hour ago, KT Kingsley said:

That's odd. For me in both Firestorm (Avatar/Experiences...) and the LL viewer (Me/Experiences...) both Linden Realms and Horizons are listed indelibly - as in I'm not allowed to "forget" them. (I tried both viewers because I wondered if Firestorm might be exposing things the LL viewer kept hidden.)

I did just fire up an alt who has neither listed in either viewer.

I'm pretty sure I've had a quick look at both those places at some time or another, and I'm definite that the alt never has.

So... I took the alt to Horizons A1/Horizons Homebase and lo... the Horizons HUD automatically attached itself, and the Horizons experience appeared in the Avatar/Experiences... floater, all without so much as a by-your-leave (as in nobody and nothing asked for any permission to do so).

And yes, the experience does not appear in the About Land floater there, either.

So I guess the Lab is invoking its supernatural powers when it comes to these experiences. And possibly they were able to do things with llTeleportAgent (or a private more powerful version of their own) that weren't available to mere mortals.

It's probably time to make those not be special. The Horizons Experience isn't that important, just legacy.

2 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

That doesn't explain THE REALMS which has always been my point. As I said I have never played Horizons. So what happens with your alt at the Portal Park?  

Horizons opened mid November of 2016.  https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2016/11/linden-labs-new-mainland-experience.html

And at that time there was no automatic experience attached to your avatar. Apparently that has changed but that still has nothing to do with my comment about the portals at the PORTAL PARK :D. Whole different ball game folks. 

And I am off to bed. Sweet dreams all.

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

But the realms were around LONG before "Experiences" came into being. I have never seen an opt in Experience button there (or my alts).

And here is after arrival. There was no "please accept this experience" dialog at all.

Works just as it has (from a users experience) as it has for seven years.

Linden Realms was the dev platform for experiences. It was the first experience open to the public

there is two Linden Realms groups of users.  The early adopter group (you and other earlies) which were auto-magically added to the then experience 'Linden Realms' when it was beta and for some time afterwards.  Subsequently a 'New Linden Realms' group which was introduced to make things consistent with the other LL experiences it seems.

how the 2 groups on the Linden Realms parcels are resolved I dunno exactly

what I do know is that unlike resident-made experiences, LL-made experiences are not parcel bound, they don't list in About Land / Experiences as far as I can see

edit add: Other LL experiences which i was automagic added to when i spawned this account are: "Learning Island Telemetry' and 'Social Island 2013-10'. No prompt and I can't leave/forget these

Edited by ellestones

1 minute ago, ellestones said:

Linden Realms was the dev platform for experiences. It was the first experience open to the public

there is two Linden Realms groups of users.  The early adopter group (you and other earlies) which were auto-magically added to the then experience 'Linden Realms' when it was beta and for some time afterwards.  Subsequently a 'New Linden Realms' group which was introduced to make things consistent with the other LL experiences it seems.

what I do know is that unlike resident-made experiences, LL-made experiences are not parcel bound, they don't list in About Land / Experiences as far as I can see

Not arguing that as I have no idea but the portals have ALWAYS worked this way since 2012. THAT has been my point in answer to the question of the OP. 

10 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Not arguing that as I have no idea but the portals have ALWAYS worked this way since 2012. THAT has been my point in answer to the question of the OP. 

accepted

its an explanation for others reading why is it that you don't have linden realms experience listed in your viewer and others do 

4 hours ago, ellestones said:

edit add: Other LL experiences which i was automagic added to when i spawned this account are: "Learning Island Telemetry' and 'Social Island 2013-10'. No prompt and I can't leave/forget these

Linden Realms existed for a year before the experiences closed beta even started.

About Land is not the right place to look when looking for region dependent experiences. Look in the region experience list in Region / Estate instead. Those are either Key or Allowed experiences. Many if not most Linden experiences are auto-grant type which do not create explicit permissions dialogs when calling llRequestExperiencePermissions(). They cannot be forgotten or blocked either.

New Linden Realms was created after Linden Realms was shut down for two weeks starting January 5th, 2016 due to the discovery of a security exploit.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Experience tools really started off on the wrong foot and people are wary of all  the "evil" they could do .. the huge SCARY warning message from LL doesn't help and should be trimmed back.

Absolutely. Instead of listing all the individual permissions being granted, it might highlight how easy it is to revoke an Experience's permissions -- totally unlike those individual permissions which cannot be revoked from the scripts to which they were granted. Hence any one of those individual permissions is infinitely more susceptible to abuse than is an Experience.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.