Instant Message Harassment?

Lara Roberts

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Good Evening SL'r

Ok well after 12 years on Sl this has to be my first ever post. Anyway, I seem to have an issue with Randon people IMing me just sayin HI, Ola, Moin....or some other random word.

I have answered them, tried to find out why they are just randomly doing it. Of course they do not respond so i end up blocking them

I receive between 6 or 7 a day....Its quite annoying.

Anyone have imput on this, is it a game or has someone set out to harass me ...Cause if they are doing it as harassment I can not figure out where it is coming from, meaning how its being transmitted through Sl itself.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

10 answers to this question

Odd that random people are IM'ing you.  It's probably someone who's using a lot of alts.  Or maybe it's some sort of group who's into randomly bothering people.

How it's being transmitted:  By IMs, duh!

What to do about it:  Just what you are doing.  Block 'em.  But skip the responding part.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

maybe it's some sort of group who's into randomly bothering people.

^ that would be my thought too.

When you get the next one, block them without answering as Lindal correctly says, and then look inside group membership for each group you are a member of and see if you can see their name listed.

From there you can consider if you should just drop that group.

Or simply ignore them. Some people -- newbies especially -- seem to have a facebooky attitude about greeting everyone they see in SL. It's annoying as hell, but if you simply pretend that you didn't hear them, they become part of the background noise. Not worth wasting your time.

14 hours ago, Lara Roberts said:

Anyway, I seem to have an issue with Randon people IMing me just sayin HI, Ola, Moin....or some other random word.

Strange but true... Some of those "random words" are in fact... Heathen Foreign Devil Talk for "Hi".

I have answered them, tried to find out why they are just randomly doing it.

Your name os "Lara", this is a FEMALE name, so you should expect random "Hi" im's from random noobs of all ages.

Ok well after 12 years on Sl

... You've been here long enough to know this already...

Cause if they are doing it as harassment I can not figure out where it is coming from, meaning how its being transmitted through Sl

It's really  very simple...

Horny McNooobpants, is feeling lonely, so he looks at the names in some group, say a store group or a shopping promotions group or whatever, looking for "Female Names or Profile Pictures". When he finds a "female avatar, he right clicks their name, selects IM, and hey presto...

"Hola! Babeo Scorchio? Tuo poseballo com meo? Jiggy Jiggy?"

Of course thats the advanced user High IQ option, most just say "Hi" and wait for a response that suggests you want "jiggy jiggy". 

They don't tend to respond to your non Jiggy jiggy reply because they have IM'd about 2 dozen females, and because if your reply isn't "positive" they just close the IM window and spam somebody else.

Of course they do not respond so i end up blocking them

Not much point blocking most of them, if you  didn't respond to their "Hi" with 

"Meo babeo scorchio! Meo amoro poseballo con retardo machismo asshato..."

Then they probably wont bother messaging you again anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Random "Hi How ru?" isn't technically harassment .... but it damn well should be. Especially when it's followed by silence.

I R GR8, How RU, 2?

((That's my usual response.))

• Haha 1

I do send “hello greeting” but always when within same sim. Never from the group list... will just group chat from them. 

Most of the time I’m within sight, of a reasonable distance.... and will say so. “Hello, nice sim  here isn’t it? am relaxing here under umbella.  If I don’t get a response within a few minutes.. I move on... then in many minutes, well, I may TP off to points beyond! I do not continually attempt further greetings. 

I do this BECAUSE if I don’t say nothing to anyone.... I’d die and become a lil pile of mesh sand before any girls will IM me!!! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.