New to mainland

Syo Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Tier is spelled "tier".

"Tier" is German and means "animal". It's a rather vicious beast that will come and eat your land if you don't pay it. I have no idea what it does to people who mis-spell it, but it might get ugly.

Apart from that, if somebody feels double prim quota is worth anything in these mesh times and love flat, non-descript land with ruler-straight roads, sure, why not? Let them have it.

Chin Rey shrugs

Edited by ChinRey

7 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Renting is ALWAYS cheaper than buying in SL because of the cost of the premium and the tier. There are still reasons to buy for total control of the land. But you pay for that total control, most of which is given to you by rental landlords anyways.

Renting is always more expensive when you can't be bothered to do the math.

Renting mainland is daft when renting on a private sim exists.

Look I misspelled kasjhegf.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

"Tier" is German and means "animal".

I remember being much younger and wondering what the relation between animals and the armor sets in World of Warcraft was, because everyone was talking about "tier sets" :$

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Renting is always more expensive when you can't be bothered to do the math.

Renting mainland is daft when renting on a private sim exists.

Look I misspelled kasjhegf.

Do you own islands and try to rent them by dumping on the Mainland as a sales gimmick? This is common.

Universally, Mainland rental costs are cheaper, the end. Just look at the prices on the search and look  at the ads on the forums.

$800 is not a normal price for a 1024 even on a fancy private island. It's just not standard anywhere.

You're entire Reddit intervention (Reddit?! Encouraging griefers to come to SL are you?)) is based on Horizons. Why on earth you think Horizons is the "best" land on the Mainland is totally beyond me and most people! I could understand if you said Bay City, Nautilus, even Shermerhorn or whatsis, the Linden sims. But Horizons? Its buildings are ugly, it is now a mess because the Lindens can't keep the theme and one wonders why anyone pays the costs there. Insane.

There is nothing "daft" about renting Mainland. There are nice Mainland rentals, including some in the sky where it doesn't matter what goes on below. There are essentially "gated communities" where owners control multiple sims and "keep the view". Even rentals in places where odd things go on not so far away but the customers are still happy. None of what you are saying is based on fact of experience.

If you are wealthier and can afford to pay more, get a homestead or half an island or whatever, or even an island parcel, although islands that stack up 1024 are often ugly and crowded. A 4096 division works best on islands. But many people prefer the Mainland because it's cheaper and more flexible. Or a Linden home which PS is on the Mainland.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 1

Oh look, the holder of The One Universal Truth has come to... 

Nope, can't even finish typing that out with a straight face.... 

Renting on Mainland is absolutely ridiculous when you can rent parcels (and whole Sims) often for market value (sometimes slightly cheaper) AND have the same amount of control over it that you would if you'd bought the same size directly from Linden Lab. 

The above is something that cannot be disputed - renting a Mainland parcel is inferior to Island rental and to outright owning Mainland. 

I speak from direct experience, without bias. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Do you own islands and try to rent them by dumping on the Mainland as a sales gimmick? This is common.

Newp, although I have ... I'm not sure how you figure arguing with you on the forums would be good for business, unless that's why you're here.

$800 is not a normal price for a 1024 even on a fancy private island. It's just not standard anywhere.

You're entire Reddit intervention (Reddit?! Encouraging griefers to come to SL are you?)) is based on Horizons...

The figures for horizons I posted are specifically for double prim land and the how Horizons as the cheapest supply of said double prim parcels was the best value right now, that statement is based on the math (which you didn't understand or read) ... I thought it would have been obvious that if you were to accept half the prims and didn't care where you lived the deal gets exponentially sweeter.

There is nothing "daft" about renting Mainland

Just the math .. Damn those frivolous numbers and their tricksy ways.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Hope you made sure to read the posts above mine for context. 

Maybe you should clarify a bit just in case there are any misunderstandings.

Are you saying that every single piece of mainland is worse than every single private island plot?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Are you saying that every single piece of mainland is worse than every single private island plot?

Nope.

Again, read the posts above mine for context. Particularly those made by this particular user.

My initial response here was a direct counter to that bloviating, conspiracy favoring user.

Furthermore, my statement was regarding the difference between renting Mainland (where the user has very little control) and owning a Mainland Parcel/Renting an Island Parcel/Renting an Island Sim/Owning either a Mainland or Island Sim.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 3:01 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

Newp, although I have ... I'm not sure how you figure arguing with you on the forums would be good for business, unless that's why you're here.

The figures for horizons I posted are specifically for double prim land and the how Horizons as the cheapest supply of said double prim parcels was the best value right now, that statement is based on the math (which you didn't understand or read) ... I thought it would have been obvious that if you were to accept half the prims and didn't care where you lived the deal gets exponentially sweeter.

Just the math .. Damn those frivolous numbers and their tricksy ways.

But you haven't scientifically proven that "double prim adult Horizons" is "the best deal" at $800. There might be cheaper. For example, I have extra prim mature that is way less -- and the deal for people is NOT prims -- because MOST OF THE TIME THEY DO NOT USE THEM UP! HELLO! The PRICE might be the better deal.  Adult isn't for everyone, given what goes on there. You're just hawking Horizons for some obscure reason with your own highly subjective notion of what is "best" and pushing it on Redditt, of all places with a mispelled "texture" that looks like some kind of "ad".

Um, are you able to add $9.95 to anything you do? Because that's the cost of a premium you would NOT pay if you rented. Hello! This shouldn't be so hard.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Um, are you able to add $9.95 to anything you do? Because that's the cost of a premium you would NOT pay if you rented. Hello! This shouldn't be so hard.

Not to mention the cost of the time machine you'd need to use, because fee for the monthly premium membership has been lower than that for well over a year (completely ignoring the fact that that it's a better deal to pay quarterly or annually, of course...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Not to mention the cost of the time machine you'd need to use, because fee for the monthly premium membership has been lower than that for well over a year (completely ignoring the fact that that it's a better deal to pay quarterly or annually, of course...)

TIL Monthly premium price changed.

On 19 May 2018 at 1:22 AM, ChinRey said:

In terms of control over "your land" & customer service, generally, yes...

Ok...

Buy Madlands : You pay a price, often a large price, to Madlander Max the Flipper Baron. All you get for this is your name in the parcel owner box on about land, and the right to be regarded by LL as the shmuck who pays the tier. Doesn't matter how big the parcel is, you can NEVER have estate rights, you often don't get landscaping rights, being unable to join or divide parcels is also not uncommon. If youyr neighbours are unruly Madlander pigs, tough, live with it or move... "Madlands! No Rulz No Rulz Witness MEH!"

Rent Islands : You pay a price equal to one weeks rent to Megabucks Estates Inc. You get your name in the parcel owner box on about land, you get 1 weeks rental, you get join and divide, you get landscaping. Rent a whole region and they will often let you have some estate rights too, changing region land textures, region wide multi-parcel ban lists, do it your self sim restarts. If you rent less than a whole region, you can ask the estate company to talk  to unruly neighbours about them abiding by the Covenant.

Rent Madlands : You pay rent to Madlander Max, if you are lucky he'll let you join his land group so you can actually REZ stuff on "your new home". The land group membership that lets you rez there, lets your neighbours rez there too. The land group role that lets you send back unwanted crap may allow your neighbours to send back your stuff. Landscaping rights? Get real! And on the day after you pay 4 weeks rental, because the landlord is charged tier monthly and insists on monthly rental payments, said land lord sells the whole region to The Humungous and his road warriors, who evicts you because he plans to build a dune biggy racetrack and you didn't pay HIM any 4 weeks rent, no sir!

Renting Madlands is a really bad deal, better to be homeless and join a group for some social sim you like that grants short-term "unpack your shopping" rezzing and set-home rights to group members.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

You pay rent to Madlander Max

Ummmm...

Since you're talking about me here, would it be ok if you said "Madlander Maxine" instead?

To save you the bother of going inworld and actually check the facts before you post, here are a few random pictures to really show how horrible all of mainland is:

22706c7febe666729b19a7c486beaba3.thumb.jpg.1c6e9f101d59dd456e397df7991da4d5.jpg

5b02da72a83b1_TheCatnap1200.jpg.f122742bc51b25242d1d5cecd33e809a.jpg

5b02da71172a0_NorthKeswick2016-08_001.jpg.fd1036dbdbfcf0f389e03b26ab885fd8.jpg

5b02da7431378_TommyLynnsPath_001.jpg.9fa5851ea42b492d89a82f24b9f3c1b8.jpg

5b02da6fdf5c6_GreaterConiston-WillowTerrace_002.jpg.b6259b8c92b66ff425e02eb352a2e945.jpg

5b02da6e35cc4_GreaterConiston-SouthKeswick_004.jpg.ec0691c19666aff863a3a237968e1129.jpg

5b02da6ca63fc_GreaterConiston-Heronbank_002.jpg.3e123ed6b169646faf276c3c44994660.jpg

5b02da6b40ae9_GreaterConiston-ConistonHill_003.jpg.5a9d6921ec6128a98046efbc72e6c2fb.jpg

5b02da699126a_GreaterConiston-BlackstoneCastle_001.jpg.c4abcb4800fd7ea0001c161088ac956b.jpg

And if that isn't bad enough for you , more pictures here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121871163@N02/sets/72157663860970810

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Ummmm...

Since you're talking about me here, would it be ok if you said "Madlander Maxine" instead?

Heh...

To save you the bother of going inworld and actually check the facts before you post

Those were fact, factual comparison of the basics of buy Madlands vs rent islands vs rent Madlands parcels...

Nothing was said about the quality of your houses or the imersiveness of your themed area...

parcels not... Live in a themed RP area...

Don't go all "Apples vs Oranutangs" on us because you want to rent houses

here are a few random pictures to really show how horrible all of mainland is:

You KNOW self promotion on the forum for commercial gain is frowned on outside the proper areas, right?

Edited by Klytyna
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Those were fact, factual comparison of the basics of buy Madlands vs rent islands vs rent Madlands parcels...

Nothing was said about the quality of your houses or the imersiveness of your themed area...

Yes it was. You were very categorically speaking about all of mainland and everybody who offer rentals there. So were others earlier in this thread. How does that not apply to my place and the other themed communities on mainland?

15 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

You KNOW self promotion on the forum for commercial gain is frowned on outside the proper areas, right?

Yes but I do feel I have the right to defend myself when I'm attacked here.

Edited by ChinRey

2 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

How does that not apply to my place and the other themed communal areas on mainland?

Hmmm...

The land group membership that lets you rez there, lets your neighbours rez there too. The land group role that lets you send back unwanted crap may allow your neighbours to send back your stuff. Landscaping rights? Get real!

Does that apply to you? Did you even bother to read Solar's post... Properly, With your Entitlement Goggles removed?

On 19 May 2018 at 4:05 AM, Solar Legion said:

Furthermore, my statement was regarding the difference between renting Mainland (where the user has very little control) and owning a Mainland Parcel/Renting an Island Parcel/Renting an Island Sim/Owning either a Mainland or Island Sim.

Seems you didn't...

5 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Yes but I do reserve the right to defend myself when I'm attacked here.

Stop standing in the middle of no-mans-land between the trenches, waving giant "flip the bird" foam hands and screaming "I'm a Madlander and I'm ENTITLED! Rent from me I'm SPECIAL", and maybe people on both sides will stop shooting at you...

Stop standing in the middle of no-mans-land between the trenches, waving giant "flip the bird" foam hands and screaming "I'm a Madlander and I'm ENTITLED! Rent from me I'm SPECIAL", and maybe people on both sides will stop shooting at you...

I never ever claimed I was entitled to anything here, just that I pay LL blood money for the privilege of having some land where I can build something that I - and hopefully a few others - might appreciate and for some basic services they hardly ever actually provide. And I don't usually shout or scream about my rentals, I hardly ever even mention or promote them at all. Almost all the tenants I have are people who dicovered the place on their own and liked it enough they wanted to stay.

I do actually think that Greater Coniston is special but not in the sense that it's better than anything else here, only that it's different. It's focused on context more than stand-alone shinies and it's designed to encourage (but not enforce) casual interaction between neighbors. Or to put it another way: It's made to emulate the "feel" of a real world place as closely as possible.

I do aknowledge that a concept like that is only of itnerest to a small minority of SL users. That is partly because people who come to SL with expectations in that direction won't find what they're looking for and leave pretty soon. But probably also because there isn't that big a demand for it anyway. But there still is a niche for that kind of Second Life. And that niche can only be filled on mainland and only by fairly large landowners - whether that landowner is a group or a single person doesn't really matter.

People who come to SL seeking solitude or formal role play or a home for their already closely knit group of friends should go for some private estate, with no risk of being interrupted by visiting strangers or other (pleasant or unpleasant) surprises. No doubt about that. And yes, most SL users probably belong to one of those categories. But not all.

What I do resent, are the sweeping statements, all those different variations of "mainland good, private estate bad" or "private estate good, mainland bad". Both are kaleidosocpes of different areas with very different qualities and there really is no uniform general description that applies to either.

Edited by ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.