Global chat enhancement for viewers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2213 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings all, i play  this virtual world for the last 7 years,and also play Tera game,my question is, why is the reason for Second Life for not having a Global chat system like Tera for example, imagine  how many people  we can connect and find others to revive this  world? chat windows will be  GLOBAL-TRADE- (word filters-moderators around the clock)  we have the people why not? please give me a solid  answer because this can be done i know.Thank you so much for reading this.

• Haha 1

Conference  never worked in the first place, i'm talking about a general global chat who everybody can see on screen  top corners for example,with option of closing it at anytime.I play other games and  the economy is based on communication, which Second Life lacks of.Maybe this question should be propose directly to  competent  Linden Lab employees in other to understand my point.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, onix Velde said:

Conference  never worked in the first place, i'm talking about a general global chat who everybody can see on screen  top corners for example,with option of closing it at anytime.I play other games and  the economy is based on communication, which Second Life lacks of.Maybe this question should be propose directly to  competent  Linden Lab employees in other to understand my point.

Or maybe you shouldn't be comparing Second Life to TERA and similar? 

At best they could potentially allow for local chat to be visible across an entire sim but each of those is more or less self contained. There simply isn't any global chat system outside of conferences, group messages and instant messages... Nor is there a NEED for one.

I have the right to compare anything i want with respect in the first place,nobody except Linden Lab can tell me the opposite,i being putting a lot of real money and login in every single day  in this virtual world like many others ,and  i'm using an example, not ranting about anything,just worry about a virtual world  i like and  i play for long 7 years .

• Haha 1

That's nice. I've been active since 2006, quite a bit longer than seven years.  Fun fact, the time you've spent here is rather irrelevant. 

A few more fun facts for you: There is a place to suggest new features or enhancements to existing ones, the JIRA. Here in the forum, the amount of money you spend is meaningless. Contrary to your belief you have no "rights" here - Linden Lab allows you to post your opinion and others are allowed to respond. 

Now, your response is quite overblown as compared to what I wrote earlier. Welcome to the forum, learn when to take a step or two back. 

1 hour ago, onix Velde said:

.... why is the reason for Second Life for not having a Global chat system like Tera for example, imagine  how many people  we can connect and find others to revive this  world? chat windows will be  GLOBAL-TRADE- (word filters-moderators around the clock)  we have the people why not? ...

Holy crap, there is no way in hell that I would want to see the chat coming from possibly every person logged into SL -- not even half of them.

We have enough problems with group chat lag.  I can only imagine how bad it would be for all of SL to basically be in one chat group.

48 minutes ago, onix Velde said:

Maybe this question should be propose directly to  competent  Linden Lab employees in other to understand my point.

Good luck with that.  Let us know how it turns out for you.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, onix Velde said:

Greetings all, i play  this virtual world for the last 7 years,and also play Tera game,my question is, why is the reason for Second Life for not having a Global chat system like Tera for example, imagine  how many people  we can connect and find others to revive this  world? chat windows will be  GLOBAL-TRADE- (word filters-moderators around the clock)  we have the people why not? please give me a solid  answer because this can be done i know.Thank you so much for reading this.

There are a number of problems with global chat .. for SL, its going to be the sheer number of people who can participate. IF it were possible to add that to SL, and it's not, the messages would fly up the screen so fast that it would saturate your PC and network, not to mention being literally impossible to read. Do you really want to be in a chat room with 46,000 other people at any given moment.

If you did slow it down the chat would mostly be people wondering how to disable it, shouting HOOOO and asking if liking transgirls makes you gay.

Yes, I also play an MMO with trade chat and it's universally junk and adds zero value to the game.

Edited by CoffeeDujour
  • Like 6

I have no idea what this "Tera" thing is, but how does global chat differ from an IRC chatroom that anybody can join? There's nothing stopping anybody from creating and promoting it, perhaps with some access tricks and cosmetic window-dressing to make it look more platform-integrated... but that's easy enough to do that if it had any appeal it would have been done years ago.

Try opening certain TPV support group chats, or really any large active group. Watching those for more than five minutes makes me want to leave SL and never come back.

8 hours ago, onix Velde said:

Maybe this question should be propose directly to  competent  Linden Lab employees in other to understand my point.

Good idea. Because what you've just done here is propose it to a Global Chat, and you know how those things go...

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, onix Velde said:

I have the right to compare anything i want with respect in the first place,nobody except Linden Lab can tell me the opposite,i being putting a lot of real money and login in every single day  in this virtual world like many others ,and  i'm using an example, not ranting about anything,just worry about a virtual world  i like and  i play for long 7 years .

You've very clearly shown us here why a global chat, where I get to see interactions from people I don't know, is a terrible idea. Second Life is where you can make the life you want... and the life I want doesn't involve everyone in the entire world. It involves people I want to hang out with only... on Sims I choose to go to, in group chats and conferences.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

There are a number of problems with global chat .. for SL, its going to be the sheer number of people who can participate.

And I'm sure we're all familiar with this:

Second Life: The message sent to $GroupName is still being processed. If the message does not appear in the next few minutes, it may have been dropped by the server.

If the servers can't handle messages in reasonably-busy groups with a few hundred people lurking and maybe ten or so actively chatting, I'm not sure how the OP thinks those same servers will handle messages flying into a global chat from 46,000+ people all at once.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2213 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.