Newbie with Avi questions

GingerPiper Throgmorton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello! I am new to SL and I currently have a Classic body. After much trial and error I have figured out how to modify the body to the shape and face I am happy with.

My issue now is finding clothes and good hair. I did find some hair I can make-do with, but really want something better.

Clothes are another issue.  First off, I am not going for the sexpot look. Secondly, as many have noted (I have been reading posts all day) the designers are creating for specific newer bodies.

So, should I migrate to a different body? Any recommendations as to make? And, if so, HOW do I do this?

12 answers to this question

I know you're asking about avatars, so I'm going to say SLOW DOWN, THERE. Let's take a short, simple detour first, okay?

My personal recommendation:

• Explore. Meet people. Find the nice ones, find the friendly ones, find the helpful ones.
  • If you're itching to change your look, try another Free Linden-Provided Avatar - there is a large variety now.
  • Window-shop as you go, but don't buy anything just yet. Get to know how to move around the world.
  • Learn how to find things; in a dancing mood? Learn how to search for dance clubs, for example.
  • Play with editing your shape. A lot. It's freebie LL avatar so no worries about breaking anything. Learn the system.
  • Do not lay a lot of weight to other people's suggestions if it relates to *buying* anything - especially a body, head, clothes.

There, after you've spent a few weeks just learning this stuff, you'll feel a lot more comfortable about things and no, it won;t actually take three weeks.

As you meet people you'll learn the ethics, etiquette, and general customs and traditions of SL; the "SL Culture". Thos you find most helpful will be your guide. They are the ones to trust more than just anyone. Ask them questions, be curious, most people in SL want to help.

Also, understand SL has a real economy, Linden Dollars (L$) is real money - never give it away and your best bet to get some is to just buy it through the exchange. The silliness of finding an "SL" job is a waste of time (you'll spend more money on RL electricity running your computer and Internet than you can earn in L$ per hour).

I could write a novel about all of this, so let's just keep it short and simple: SLOW DOWN, smell the flowers as you walk by, take the time to enjoy the world through the eyes of a "newbie" because if you ask anyone in SL: most will tell you that was the absolute best time in SL: Discovery.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 7

Bakes On Mesh is Coming...

There is a Bakes On Mesh project. We will likely see it released in the next month or 6... It will change how mesh bodies, feet, hands, and heads are made. So, all of us with mesh attachment bodies will be upgrading. 

Also, how mesh body attachments and their Appliers work will be changing.

You can save yourself some upgrade headaches and reduce your learning curve. The new mesh attachments will work very much like classic clothes, skins, etc. work now.

Be patient. 

• Like 2

Okay, so you don't actually NEED a mesh body and head and all that.  I would say that you should wait until you feel the actual LACK before you get into it.

The essentials you need to have a nice avatar is:

• good shape
  • good skin
  • good hair
  • clothes

Other stuff like eyes and nails and makeup and all, they are good but you can also wait on all of it.

Whatever investigations you make into skin and shape and hair will still help you when you are working on your mesh body, if you get one. Because even with a mesh body you still need shape, skin, hair.  And you have to know what YOU like, because there is a world of choices.  If you add a mesh body to the mix, you will have so many variables you might not know what to do next.

You could go to stores like Coco and Gizza if you want to see nice, non-sexpot clothes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's true that some clothes are coming out now that are ONLY for mesh bodies.  However, most things are still being sold with versions for the Classic bodies as well.  I don't think you need to spend lots of money on a mesh body or head just yet.

Hair:  Hair comes in two varieties, mesh and flexiprim.  Mesh hair is rigged to sort of bend when you turn your head, but it won't blow in the wind or stream behind you when you run.  I still like the older flexiprim styles, which will do that.  However, they have a problem too...when hanging straight down, the hair will penetrate your shoulders.  Sigh...these problems are why I often go with a shorter style, an updo, or a ponytail.  Mesh hair is more common than the flexi type, these days.  A very few creators make hair that is a combination of mesh, for styling, and flexiprims, for movement.

Some hair creators I like:  Alli & Ali Designs, Truth Hair, Analog Dog, D!va, Rezology.  (But be careful about Rezology, some of their styles have very high complexity.)  Catwa has a few of the mesh/flexi styles.

Clothes:  Yes, most of SL seems to be trying to outdo Fredericks of Hollywood.  But there are still plenty of creators making stylish, attractive clothes.  Here are a few places to look.

Gizza, Legendaire, Shoenique, SmokinGirls, Entice, Stressless, Rebel Hope.

You might also enjoy shopping for period clothing.  A number of stores specialize in clothes from previous eras, or fantasy worlds.

A couple of tips for clothes shoppers:  Mesh clothing for Classic avatars generally comes in about five or six sizes, XL, L, M, S, XS, XXS.  These are most often made to fit the "Standard Mesh" size shapes that are available free on the Marketplace.  Creating your shape by starting with one of these will make fitting mesh clothing easier.  See: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Standard-Sizing-Package-Updated-Male-Female/2894727.

Try demos!  A lot of mesh clothing looks fine in the picture, but has a sloppily-made alpha mask; either bits of you poke through when you move, or your legs end an inch below your hemline.  Or a scarf or skirt that looks all flowy in the picture is stiff and starched and looks stupid when you wear it and move.

EDIT:  Even though I said you don't need a mesh body or head, I do recommend that you consider getting at least a pair of mesh feet, and mesh hands.  You sort of need the mesh feet, because almost nobody is making shoes for classic feet any longer.  Mesh feet are included with mesh bodies, but they are also available by themselves.  A great many shoes are made for the popular SLink feet.  Mesh hands are MUCH prettier than the classic avatar's blunt-fingered clubs.  I love my SLink hands, and there are tons of manicure appliers for them.  But you have a decision to make here...Once you pay for mesh hands, and mesh feet, maybe in two or three heel heights, you are approaching the cost to buy a mesh body.  On the plus side, your mesh body, when you eventually get one, will work with your existing mesh hands and feet, so you won't need to buy all new stuff.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are advantages to having a mesh body, not the least of which is that most of the really nice clothes these days are being designed with  mesh in mind. However, there are still plenty of great clothes that work well with the classic body (except shoes, but you can easily find shoes with feet in them, as separate attachments).  Spend your time exploring and trying demos -- a lot of time -- before you invest a lot of money in a mesh body.  When you do make the plunge, dress for yourself, not for whatever you think the rest of the crowd wants you to look like.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TLHagen said:

Thanks for this advice!

i will keep exploring and learning for a while.

Go to The Free Dove -- lots of good free stuff and much of it will work with classic avatar bodies.  Also, peruse the https://fabfree.wordpress.com/ website.  Lots of the freebies and cheapies they blog about will work for a classic avatar.  Give yourself a few weeks to settle in and get SL figured out a bit before diving into the complexity of mesh bodies and heads. Personally, I picked up a pair of Slink compatible feet from MP for much cheaper that took care of me for a bit until I was ready for the mesh body.  I never cared about nails and rings, so I simply wore lots of bangles to cover the horrid looking classic wrists.

When you are ready for the mesh body plunge, demo lots and lots.

• Thanks 1

You can get away with not having mesh feet if you wear boots or ankle boots or shoes that somehow cover all of your feet.

There are older shoes that some with skin parts that you need to match to your skin tone if you want to wear them. I have NEVER been able to make that match. (never)

Yes, and about demos - when you're looking for hair, visit a BUNCH of hair stores and pick up demos. Then go to a quiet sandbox somewhere and try them on one after the other to find the one(s) you like.  Do the same for skins.  It's better to separate the collecting and the trying, and all the demo-trying that you do is not time wasted. You need to know what's out there to find out what you want.

The skin/shape match up can be tricky because one skin can look like crap on one shape, and beautiful on another.  So you have to either start with a shape you like and then try on skin after skin with it, or start with a skin you like and try shape after shape.

Edited by kershe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kershe said:

You can get away with not having mesh feet if you wear boots or ankle boots or shoes that somehow cover all of your feet.

Very true.  Even with my mesh body, I wear lots of older boots and just alpha out the feet.

There are older shoes that some with skin parts that you need to match to your skin tone if you want to wear them. I have NEVER been able to make that match. (never)

Skell turned me on to this application that enabled me to do those skin matching things:  https://www.wincatalog.com/getcolor.html

The skin/shape match up can be tricky because one skin can look like crap on one shape, and beautiful on another.  So you have to either start with a shape you like and then try on skin after skin with it, or start with a skin you like and try shape after shape.

Or just find a skin you like and modify your own shape to your liking.  It isn't that hard to create a shape yourself - pick up a freebie somewhere or from the Library of something similar to what you like and then play with the sliders.

• Thanks 2

Oh hey - some more tips:

About modifying shapes:

• Make a copy of it first, and label it so you know it's the original. It's important to be able to back out of your changes even after you've saved them.
  • Over time, little tweaks to your shape can add up to something nicer than one marathon session in which you try to fix everything at once

About inventory:

• it helps to be organized
  • don't delete clothes that are designed for a mesh body you don't own. You might get that body in the future and you'll wish you'd kept them
  • Like 1

These people who answered your questions are really smart and offer good advice. I would also add that you should start fixing your inventory up now so you can find things later.

I have a section for body parts: In it is Avatars - Complete, Heads, Feet, Hands, Eyes, Skins Only, Skins and Shapes, Shapes only.

Clothes are broken down by fitmesh, tonic, omega, maitreya, bellezza and with those categories by bottoms only, tops only, dresses, outfits etc. Shoes of course have a category all their own with the clothing folder.

I also make a folder in each item that I buy where I put the original - It is called Boxed Original. I can always find my original this way if something happens to the one I rezzed.

Good luck in your Second Life and remember to take time off from here because it can become very addicting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KrickettArcher said:

I also make a folder in each item that I buy where I put the original - It is called Boxed Original. I can always find my original this way if something happens to the one I rezzed.

That's my favourite way to keep furniture now... I realized wherever I am allowed to rez furniture I will also be allowed to unpack it...no need to store unpacked furniture for long

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.