Linden Labs Is At Fault

DaleMcRuden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

You think your state wouldn't do it to you?  Yes they would.  Then they blame the other state.  Now you re-elect the perps.

Happens every day.

I can see another state trying to convince you that it’s your own state or poor infrastructure..but the danger of a state doing it to its own people is high if caught.

Naa. It's just one or a few individuals doing it, just for the jollies, and just because they can. They are no different to SL griefers, except that SL griefers don't have the skills needed to mount a DDoS attack, or some of them would definititely be up for it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 4

On 2/28/2018 at 12:13 AM, Chase01 said:

If unscheduled service outages were a common occurrence, I would agree; but IMO they aren't. For that, we should be praising LL. It is quite OK to give credit, where credit is due.

As frustrating as it may be, it is within reason to expect that service outages may occur periodically for one reason or another. As Alwin pointed out, LL also incurs a financial loss when services are interrupted. Nobody is compensating them either.

Well, it's confirmed as an outside attack, and it didn't disrupt things for very long...and I did edit one of my posts to add that I've been in sl over 9 months, during which nothing like this happened and if there's just one bad two day period per 9 months that's overall performance I can be very satisfied with...and credit should be given where it's do, but complaining should also occur when something is screwed up.

If it were a glitch (hardware or software) that was purely LL's fault, and it were still going on now, 4 days later, I get the feeling there'd still be people saying not to be too critical, and that would be uncalled for.  It was an outside attack, and it was fixed in less than 2 days, so I'm fine with it, and it's the scumbags who did the DDoS who ought to have to compensate people.

On 2/28/2018 at 12:13 AM, Chase01 said:

The TOS Second Life has is not all that different from what you might see in a video game, or from an Internet service provider as just two examples. Usually they are specific and also ambiguous for a reason. It is to cover a large range of situations in which a provider might choose to deny service. As a business, they have no interest in doing so; unless those using that service are not acting in what the provider might deem good faith.

It's absolutely true that almost all software makes you agree to "I have no rights and the developer has infinite rights," and LL just does in their ToS what everyone else does.  I'd likely put that in ToS if I had a site, because I can and everyone accepts those, because if you don't accept those kinds of ToS you may as well not have a computer.  You'll hardly find any software to run without onerous ToS.

I also understand that in some cases that's likely led to results I'd agree with, that if LL didn't have some latitude to enforce rules they couldn't have realized they'd have had to enumerate, they couldn't have stopped some truly destructive users who might have found a way to cause a lot of trouble while adhering to the letter of a very specific ToS.

I furthermore believe LL acts in good faith as far as how they enforce the ToS.

My issue was with those who seem to want to support LLs' supposed rights not to act in good faith, if they so chose.  If it were LL not acting in good faith, it's most likely that courts would not side with them; and regardless, while the extreme latitude the ToS gives them might allow them to close with no notice and no way to cash out unused Lindens (though I'd imagine if they did that they'd face and lose a class action suit if the closure was not by absolute necessity), people defending them would be justified in saying "They wouldn't do that; they've always played fairly."  The problem is people who almost encourage them to abuse power in a way that my experience is they do not do.  And the way I'd change the law would be to make it clear that no matter what ToS say, any company must act in good faith toward all users who act in good faith, and have some heavy civil penalties toward companies that did not.  Courts might do that anyway, but I'd want laws to make that immensely clear.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/27/2018 at 5:54 PM, DaleMcRuden said:

I think ye should all protest I have lost 2 days INCOME because Linden Labs Can't keep there servers running  so I believe that they should compensate me for the income I earn to pay them their tiers

What's there to protest? Linden Lab (no -s-) was one of the victims of a new kind of amplified Distributed Denial of Service attack (using a memcache exploit, Google it if you are a nerd), along with other major websites, among which GitHub and three large bank corporations (ABN AMRO, ING and Rabobank).

Protesting it would be like rating a Marketplace product 1 star because delivery failed--really ignorant.

and feed my Horses

And think of the poor prim babies!

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

And think of the poor prim babies!

Easy solution: get a vampire to bite your baby, and the little tyke will never die. Not sure about vampire/undead horses though.

*Edit* Some believe children have no soul, so nothing lost there..*

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

This does make one wonder how many babies and breedables were, um, 'lost' during that outage -- and how much in computer resources were saved as a result.

Yes, I know - that is very unsympathetic of me

Are babies a form of breedables? That’s just gross.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Maybe I could market it as a business opportunity..  people need beds to produce new prim babies.  10% discount for every baby bred on this bed... ok forget that, it sounds yuk

It would be cool if prim babies were gestated and born like Orcs, decanted from a slimy womb attached to some random surface, bursting forth with a great effusion of rancid liquid and a terrified roar. Well, RL birth is somewhat like that, right?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It would be cool if prim babies were gestated and born like Orcs, decanted from a slimy womb attached to some random surface, bursting forth with a great effusion of rancid liquid and a terrified roar. Well, RL birth is somewhat like that, right?

Dunno, I was too posh to push.  The drugs were good though :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Madison531 said:

As frustrating as it may be, it is within reason to expect that service outages may occur periodically for one reason or another. As Alwin pointed out, LL also incurs a financial loss when services are interrupted. Nobody is compensating them either.

Let's not forget who is really responsible for this server down time.   HAL 9000!

image.png.c7b9d8d9e0a32f52aae8a52034d63ecf.pngimage.png.1711187462722f266e84bedc713afd8a.pngimage.png.6c1bfea46b6c82ac8b53865daac2def0.png

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Madison531 said:

credit should be given where it's do, but complaining should also occur when something is screwed up.

Let's cross that bridge when we get there.

As far as the rest of your post, it is lengthy in size, but with no clear message and full of fluff. Sometimes less is more.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.