Second Life app?

CuteRenamon231

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"Second life is running slow on my computer."  Maybe, it could run faster on a tablet. Why? Because most tablets contain more GB/Memory than computers. I don't know how making apps work, but could they import second life into a app? Maybe they could also give you about 2-5 linden when you watch a video. If more people could share my idea it would be amazing. :D

tumblr_mztx68xY6O1t2251uo1_250.gif

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Like, maybe really powerful stuff like the iPad pro or Surface tablets, definitely not any other kind of tablet. SL is a really demanding game at times and tablets are nowhere near powerful enough to handle SL.

Memory isnt everything, neither do tablets have more memory than the average laptop/desktop. Even the iPad pro has 4gb of ram, while most computers these days have 8 or 16gb. Not to mention processing power, architecture and GPU's.

9 hours ago, CuteRenamon231 said:

Maybe they could also give you about 2-5 linden when you watch a video.

I find that part even more hilarious, actually...

Anyway... dear Cute Renamon231,

there is a reason why demanding 3D applications haven't found their way to handheld devices. Because of a simple fact: they are too demanding and you'd literally melt your machine because of its poor cooling, because of the horribly undersized CPU and because of the craptastic graphical unit.
Instead, you'll find mobile apps like Lumiya which use a massively simplified view which is more on par with your average lightwave mobile game.

Once upon a time, there was a "stream SL to your tablet" service which opened with huge tamtam. As far as I know, the service was pretty soon discontinued because of the lack of interest. Oh, and instead of getting paid to watch commericals ( xD ), you had to pay for the streaming facilities.

Please educate yourself a bit more about technical differences before you keep dreaming of solutions.

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche

11 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I find that part even more hilarious, actually...

Anyway... dear Cute Renamon231,

there is a reason why demanding 3D applications haven't found their way to handheld devices. Because of a simple fact: they are too demanding and you'd literally melt your machine.

Thank you for telling me this. I guess my computer runs slowly because of the lack of storage or because of it age.

Edited by CuteRenamon231

4 hours ago, CuteRenamon231 said:

Honestly, I would be more thankful if you could actually answer it.

I'm not sure if I can answer it.  I could start by saying you are confusing data storage with working processing space.  Not all memory is the same.  Not all memory can function at the same speed. Additional memory beyond a program's capacity does absolutely nothing for performance. I carry more "memory" than most tablets have on my key chain that I can plug into whatever PC I happen to be in front of.

Think of it like this: a computer is a car.  It has room for passengers (RAM) room for luggage (data storage) and a 200 horse power engine (CPU) to move it all at high speeds.
Tablets are scaled down to golf cart size where the passengers and luggage ride together and is pushed by a 2 horse power motor.  Sure, your golf cart may be able to carry more passengers than a Lamborghini but doesn't mean you should take it out on the highway.

Tablets can do 2D passably well since all they have to do is scale and layer arrays of sprites.  They do not have the capability to perform the  teraFLOPS worth of calculation necessary to preform the many thousands of matrix multiplications needed to move a complex object in 3D space.  Even before considering that desktop graphic cards have hardware built specifically for this that a tablet lacks,  tablet CPUs are simply incapable of functions standard to even the lowest end PC's CPU.

However, the LOL was because I thought you were joking about the common terminology used in dispirit ways.  Tablets have more "memory."   That's funny to me because what a tablet calls memory is nothing like what a PC calls memory.

• Like 1

In my experience, the biggest determinant of SL playability is the GPU power.

Tablets mostly have graphics optimized for other things, like streaming video and kwitter and arsetome....

Try the Lumiya app on Android to see the state of the 'tablet' art.  It's actually quite good for chatting and IMs.

Edited by anna2358

For the SL viewer on your computer, there are some things you can do to improve your power. Go to your preferences then graphics. Now, set to medium for your quality. Unless you are taking pictures, you won't miss the shadows and stuff like that. You can change to ultra when you want to take a picture.

Next, set your draw distance to 120 max. You don't need to render stuff n the next sim. Next turn down the avatar complexity you'll render to about 100,000. Go to the second tab in the graphics section and enable the lossy textures. Also, find your cache setting and max it out. The default is about 512. You can max it out to almost 10,000, which will help since  you won't have to constantly have to upload the textures around you when you land. 

Make sure you check where the mesh you buy attaches. The default is the right hand. If you have too much attached to one point, it can make loading really slow. You can move the attachment by right clicking on the item in your inventory and select attach to. You'll get a list of attachment points. Coose one less used like a pex for a top and a hip for pants/skirt.

Next, check your download speed. Contrary to what you might think, higher isn't better. Max should be 800. Think of it this way. SL goes out a set speed and no faster, like water in the water main to you house. Most houses generally have a smaller pipe that goes up to the house rather than larger so you get better pressure. If the main is a 6 inch pipe and you attach a 4 inch pipe, your pressure will be great. If you attach an 8 inch pipe, the pressure will be lower. The data stream works the same way. Setting it higher can actually make it slower.

Those settings should make things work better.

Good luck

1 hour ago, anna2358 said:

In my experience, the biggest determinant of SL playability is the GPU power.

Actually, it's mostly the CPU and the network connection.

The GPU power comes in for eyecandy.

17 minutes ago, Bobbie Faulds said:

Now, set to medium for your quality. [..]

Next, set your draw distance to 120 max.

Both are still pretty high, based on the assumption that the OP's computer is easily outperformed by a plain tablet.

Perhaps it is also worth mentioning that you can easily store different graphic presets and switch them on the fly via a dropdown list.

12 hours ago, CuteRenamon231 said:

Thank you for telling me this. I guess my computer runs slowly because of the lack of storage or because of it age.

What are your settings? SL will run horribly slow if they are too high. Try setting everything as low as possible then work your way up. 

For starters drop your draw to 32, set your jelly doll level to 20,000, and set your graphics to low, and see if that helps. Oh and hard wire your conection to your router.

If nothing helps, either your internet connection is too slow, or your computer IS just too crappy.

Yeah. As noted, "more GB" doesn't make a device more powerful. I worked in wireless for a number of years, and handled more than a few devices that had a good spec sheet but were complete garbage. What matters is the quality of the components, how well they work together, and how the operating system works with those components and handles data. There's also that melting problem that others mentioned. Tablets and smartphones do not have the cooling capability to have a heavy load for any length of time like, say, a desktop computer does.

10 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Think of it like this: a computer is a car.  It has room for passengers (RAM) room for luggage (data storage) and a 200 horse power engine (CPU) to move it all at high speeds.
Tablets are scaled down to golf cart size where the passengers and luggage ride together and is pushed by a 2 horse power motor.  Sure, your golf cart may be able to carry more passengers than a Lamborghini but doesn't mean you should take it out on the highway.

I love this analogy - saving it for some of my not-quite-so-technical friends.

7 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Actually, it's mostly the CPU and the network connection.

The GPU power comes in for eyecandy.

You are probably right about the network connection.  I certainly can tell when I forget to turn the VPN off before I go online.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.