Account security

Juna Starlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear Linden Laps,

i createt my account in 2013 but whats happen if i had to proof the ownership?

i can't i forgot the secret Q&A, the mail i used to create the account .. i can't remember
And the biggest Problem: here in germany my internetprovider have lot of gateways, it means every time when i log in to the internet i use the gateways randomly. So each time i "locatet" at different citys but never the place where i live (i live in a little willage with a pop of maybe 5500)

so as soon you say i have to prrof the owner ship, i can't and you think i stole the account
and i know as soon i open a ticket to change some informations like the secret Q&A you will ban me because "i'ts not your account"

Plase do antything to fix that, its ok for me if you have a copy of my offical identity card

7 minutes ago, lauratayler said:

Dear Linden Laps,

i can't i forgot the secret Q&A, the mail i used to create the account .. i can't remember
And the biggest Problem: here in germany my internetprovider have lot of gateways, it means every time when i log in to the internet i use the gateways randomly. So each time i "locatet" at different citys but never the place where i live (i live in a little willage with a pop of maybe 5500)

so as soon you say i have to prrof the owner ship, i can't and you think i stole the account
and i know as soon i open a ticket to change some informations like the secret Q&A you will ban me because "i'ts not your account"

Plase do antything to fix that, its ok for me if you have a copy of my offical identity card

You are posting in  a resident's forum not Linden Lab.  You will have to contact support   https://support.secondlife.com/?lang=en-US

• Administrators

Hello!

Unfortunately, in order for us to assist with an account, we do need to verify you as the owner of the account. Surely you can understand why, after all, what is to stop RandomJoeBillyBob12345 Resident from coming along and saying that they are you. That being said, if you have not already done so, please do make a support case as someone was so kind to mention in their previous post, but just for reference, here is the link again: https://support.secondlife.com/?lang=en-US.

• Like 6

On 9/13/2017 at 11:30 AM, lauratayler said:

Dear Linden Laps,

Had a similar issue last year, after returning to SL after 4 year long absence.My email got hacked and i couldn't remember my sl password. Luckily i could answer to the secret questions by LL and get it back within an hour. The question was  [Note from Tommy Linden - I have edited out what your security question is, it is not a safe practice to share that publicly], hell i d never forget that. Thats why its important to create a question you know answer to even if they wake you up in the middle of the night. Because favorite foods ect can change over the years. No way to remember such thing.

Edited by Tommy Linden
Removed SQ

On 2017.09.14. at 2:55 AM, Tommy Linden said:

Hello!

Unfortunately, in order for us to assist with an account, we do need to verify you as the owner of the account. Surely you can understand why, after all, what is to stop RandomJoeBillyBob12345 Resident from coming along and saying that they are you. That being said, if you have not already done so, please do make a support case as someone was so kind to mention in their previous post, but just for reference, here is the link again: https://support.secondlife.com/?lang=en-US.

Thanks for editing it out *stupid me*

14 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Just out of curiosity, where would I find those security questions?  It's been 7 years since I joined and I have no idea what the questions are/were.  I don't remember any questions when I created my alts.

I actually just created a new alt a few months back and I honestly do not remember if there were any questions.  I definitely have no clue what the questions might have been for my main or other alts.  They do no show up anywhere on the dashboard.  I suspect that only LL knows.

There aren't any security questions these days that I recall, and I doubt that you'd be asked to remember ones that you may or may not have created several years ago (hell, I can't for the life of me even remember which question I answered back in 2007!), and I doubt that it's even possible to "change your secret questions" now. What usually occurs in cases like these is that LL will ask you to prove in other ways that you're the owner of the account. One of the common ways is to give them the names of a certain number of people on your contacts list if they ask for them, but they'll usually want to know something else as well.

7 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

There aren't any security questions these days that I recall, and I doubt that you'd be asked to remember ones that you may or may not have created several years ago (hell, I can't for the life of me even remember which question I answered back in 2007!), and I doubt that it's even possible to "change your secret questions" now. What usually occurs in cases like these is that LL will ask you to prove in other ways that you're the owner of the account. One of the common ways is to give them the names of a certain number of people on your contacts list if they ask for them, but they'll usually want to know something else as well.

They do still ask the secret question for password recovery, though I think you may be right in that they don't use it with newer people.  I just took an alt through the password recovery process.  This is the screen I got when I clicked the password reset link in the email - you only have to do one of these though.  The questions are also probably different if you signed up without any secret question and/or you've never given payment info.  It is definitely a good thing you don't have to do ALL 3 because there are many friends on my list that I don't necessarily know their last name off the top of my head.

image.png.5f4f6dd1c1249a56d44ae8151a0bb6a2.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

Hmmm, when I see that recovery form ...

The 3 friends question is a joke since more and more have "Resident" as lastname.

The last billed amount - I only know that as long as i have the email LL sends me. My Bank accounts don't show the US$ just €.

Well, I stored the answer to the security question, many years ago. Was probably a good idea.

On 13/09/2017 at 7:30 PM, lauratayler said:

You never need to remember the questions. You only need to remember the answers, and the answers are things you can't forget, such as your mother's maiden name. So the Q&A should never be a problem for you.

The email address that you used shouldn't be a problem either - not from only 4 years ago.  It could be a problem if you used a false email address, but that would be your own fault.

On 13/09/2017 at 7:30 PM, lauratayler said:

There is nothing to fix. There is no reason why LL should take your word that the account is yours when you can't show any evidence - evidence that you should have, such as the answers to the Q&A questions.

On a positive note, LL wouldn't think that you "stole the account" when you can't get into it :D They may think that you are trying to steal it though ;)

Edited by Phil Deakins

1 hour ago, Nova Convair said:

I only know that as long as i have the email LL sends me. My Bank accounts don't show the US$ just €.

the line says clearly you can see it at your Paypal or Credit Card account .. LL does no business with banks, lot of people make that mistake, your bank is only the final station for your payments, to Paypal/CC/Skrill but for LL not relevant.

Credit Cards and Paypal..also Skrill, give excact amounts that are paid, not just totals.

22 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

1 hour ago, Nova Convair said:

I only know that as long as i have the email LL sends me. My Bank accounts don't show the US$ just €.

the line says clearly you can see it at your Paypal or Credit Card account .. LL does no business with banks, lot of people make that mistake, your bank is only the final station for your payments, to Paypal/CC/Skrill but for LL not relevant.

It is interesting that you want to tell me what I see on my credit card account.  LOL

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Nova Convair said:

You still want to tell me what details I see or not see? hahahahahahahahahah

Sorry, but that becomes too stupid to continue. And 2 laughs about you is sufficient for one day. :) 

Depending on the credit card or bank in question, it often does show the original USD amount as well as the [insert currency of your own country here] amount. Both my bank and credit card here in the UK do. They show the dollar amount, the conversion rate, and the final £ amount. UK Paypal also shows the original dollar amount as well as the conversion to UK sterling.

Laugh at others and call them stupid if you wish, but bear in mind that their experience with their own bank/credit card in their own country may not be the same as yours. Granted, they should likewise not assume that their experience is the same as yours, but that doesn't make them stupid; they're simply unaware of how the hundreds of other banks and credit cards around the world delineate 'other currency' payments on statements.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Depending on the credit card or bank in question, it often does show the original USD amount as well as the [insert currency of your own country here] amount. Both my bank and credit card here in the UK do. They show the dollar amount, the conversion rate, and the final £ amount. UK Paypal also shows the original dollar amount as well as the conversion to UK sterling.

i'm not talking about conversions or other details of the payment on the bank as the "expert" above does, but about the actual paypal and CC accounts. Those ALWAYS show the payment detail per transaction.

It's just dumb and stupid to keep denying it.

3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i'm not talking about conversions or other details of the payment on the bank as the "expert" above does, but about the actual paypal and CC accounts. Those ALWAYS show the payment detail per transaction.

Do they ALWAYS show it in US$ if your currency is something else?  I am truly asking because I have no clue on that.  The password recovery screen above did asked for the amount in US$.

I just took my most recent alt through the password reset process and she was only asked the secret question.  So apparently there was a secret question a couple of months ago when I created her.  She only has a few friends, so maybe that is why she didn't get any type of friends question, and she does not have payment info on file so there is no past transaction to provide.   So they do modify the screen based on specifics of the avatar - so I would guess that they would also modify that friends question (or not use it) if everyone on the friends list has the last name of Resident.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

41 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Do they ALWAYS show it in US$ if your currency is something else?  I am truly asking because I have no clue on that.  The password recovery screen above did asked for the amount in US$.

UK Paypal for an alt account (not Skell, hence I'm not concerned about the date and amount being visible), with all identifying information removed:

paypal_linden_lab.png.7b03f9346c98d9f43be35c75623f09e9.png

Edited by Skell Dagger

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

UK Paypal, with all self-identifying information removed:

paypal_linden_lab.png.7b03f9346c98d9f43be35c75623f09e9.png

So it appears that if a given PayPal transaction uses currency conversion to complete you will see the amounts in both currencies.

I'm trying to remember the last time I had a credit card charge in another currency exactly what my statement showed - though that could easily be different for various cards.  Thus if your payment method is a card rather than PayPal, you might or might not have a US$ value.

36 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

these responses were to somebody in this discussion that claimed she only sees the credit card payments on a bankaccount as totals.. i said there are always detailed lists on the actual Credit Card and Paypal accounts... but she denied that, but i am 101% sure those details are available.

But to your remark, yes in the details the exchange from dollars to local currencies is also visisble, so if LL asks you can give the right info in dollars.

and... see Skells post...  thats a online statement of a paypal transaction, you can recall those all the time in the paypalaccount, so NOT just a total amount on your bankaccount....

Credit Cards have the same.

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

So it appears that if a given PayPal transaction uses currency conversion to complete you will see the amounts in both currencies.

I'm trying to remember the last time I had a credit card charge in another currency exactly what my statement showed - though that could easily be different for various cards.  Thus if your payment method is a card rather than PayPal, you might or might not have a US$ value.

I've just checked my most recent credit card statement, and - for that card at least - I see non-sterling transactions listed as follows: name of company - amount in USD @ [exchange rate] = UK sterling amount. So I do see the US$ value, but - as stated before - every card is different and it will vary from country to country.

Edited by Skell Dagger

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

these responses were to somebody in this discussion that claimed she only sees the credit card payments on a bankaccount as totals.. i said there are always detailed lists on the actual Credit Card and Paypal accounts... but she denied that, but i am 101% sure those details are available.

In looking back up, what she originally said was "accounts don't show the US$ just €".   So, she wasn't saying it only showed totals, just that it didn't show the US$ currency.

temp.thumb.PNG.48cf912ece88cd981d47eb86f73be528.PNG

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I've just checked my most recent credit card statement, and - for that card at least - I see non-sterling transactions listed as follows: name of company - amount in USD @ [exchange rate] = UK sterling amount. So I do see the US$ value, but - as stated before - every card is different and it will vary from country to country.

I just pulled up an old statement that had a trip to Mexico on it.  It does not specifically give me the foreign currency amount, but it gives me US$ and the conversion rate, so I could calculate it.  Yep, different formats for different cards / locations.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In looking back up, what she originally said was "accounts don't show the US$ just €".   So, she wasn't saying it only showed totals, just that it didn't show the US$ currency.

temp.thumb.PNG.48cf912ece88cd981d47eb86f73be528.PNG

no she writes "My Bank Accounts ... "  but that is TOTALLY irrelevant in this matter, LL asks for the details as on the Paypal/Skril or CC account. NOT the bank.

5 hours ago, Nova Convair said:

It is interesting that you want to tell me what I see on my credit card account.  LOL

and than this...   so yes i know better than she what's visible on a CC account.. because she mixes up the credit card account and her payment to the credit card company...

There are full details to give LL, not just the total that's visible as endpayment on the bankaccount.

7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and than this...   so yes i know better than she what's visible on a CC account.. because she mixes up the credit card account and her payment to the credit card company...

That this could simple be a semantics issue due to differences in languages and how things are referenced in various places around the world.

Hardly seems like something that is worth constantly re-correcting someone on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.