Looking into DJing ?

drakeos99

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

14 answers to this question

The best free software (imho) if you're looking for the cheapest way is the open source MIXXX DJ application.

This lets you stream all your music, has mixing desks, does everything Virtual DJ can do and is easier to set up and can do most things that Sam can do. Sam is a commercial program and quite expensive.

Mixxx is also highly configurable to work exactly how you want using skins as shown below.

https://www.mixxx.org/

All you need then is a Shoutcast server that you can rent inworld on a daily, weekly, monthly basis and then you can stream  using your own land or a club that hires you :)

There are many places to rent a server and I won't post here. Just search or ask someone that DJ's for their recommendations.

Edited by Monderas Bristol
spelling corrections and image insert
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SierraStyles said:

Timothy Scarborough in the Helping Haven sim has a great DJ class and he will answer questions re: being a SL DJ. He  also has a class on hosting. Both good classes  for people looking to DJ or be a host/hostess in SL.

What prices on his class ??

On 20/05/2017 at 10:04 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

VDJ is free too... and the most easy to learn and connect... ;)

so try a lot... and pick what fits your need ..

From VDJ website. 

Professional users

If you are using VirtualDJ professionally (as defined in the EULA: "if you earn money using VirtualDJ "), you need to purchase a PRO license.

I guess it depends on if you consider earning money inworld the same as earning money "professionally" and to me, VDJ, like Mixxx is one of those programs geared to mixxing tracks at some point rather than just streaming,  and ideally suited to a controller. As to which is easiest that's down to personal preference :)  It's been a while since I've used VDJ but MIXXX can be  customised using skins as the user wishes, is completely free, open source with NO restrictions or fees.

Another which might be useful just for playing a set playlist and requests if you're not into mixing is http://www.radiodj.ro/

I've not really played around with it much so can't recommend either way.

Mondy.

Edited by Monderas Bristol

41 minutes ago, Monderas Bristol said:

If you are using VirtualDJ professionally (as defined in the EULA: "if you earn money using VirtualDJ "), you need to purchase a PRO license.

I guess it depends on if you consider earning money inworld the same as earning money "professionally" and to me, VDJ, like Mixxx is one of those programs geared to mixxing tracks at some point rather than just streaming,  and ideally suited to a controller.

if you take earning 1 to 5k of lindens (most dj's in sl will really not get more) as professionel earnings.. yes you'r right, but think that goes way to far. Professional use in VDJ is really meant as professional.. not that few pence at SL. A SL dj that pays for his broadcasting license, his music royalties, and than above that earns a nice living.. that's a pro... so in sl nobody.

VDJ is for sure not meant for just mixing tracks, think you should have a closer look to it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.