How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The 7:15 am cell phone call. That's always good news, right?

Morning-2-Blank.thumb.png.94ff4ebb40de709b21d0ab455bab2884.png

Wow. Just unconditional wow. Your base for the final product here was SL? That is absolutely mindblowing. This is flat our gorgeous work, Scylla. There is so much working here in terms of framing, and style and...it's lovely. I haven't seen a lot of your work, but this is by far my favorite you've done. Thanks for sharing it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Asking for what? If you mean comments, yes please!!! And thank you!!!

I'll try my best for comments, Bagnu :)I really don't have much of a vocabulary in photography that might be of any good to be honest (if this was, say a written medium then no, absolutely I could go on at length) but with photos like yours, or any of the other excellent photographers here all I can really say is liked it a lot and wish I could tell you exactly why and what. It's a really striking image!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BranScanlon said:

Wow. Just unconditional wow. Your base for the final product here was SL? That is absolutely mindblowing. This is flat our gorgeous work, Scylla. There is so much working here in terms of framing, and style and...it's lovely. I haven't seen a lot of your work, but this is by far my favorite you've done. Thanks for sharing it!

Aww, thanks Bran! What a nice thing to say!

Most of the elements of this shot were native to SL, and the viewer I was using (Firestorm). The tools for photographers in SL are actually pretty powerful. The light and shadow, depth of field (the blur), glowy bits, the colour palette, and of course the actual objects and avatar, were all in the basic shot taken in-world. I think I used about 7 or 8 points lights and one projector to get the lighting effects. I enhanced all of these somewhat in Photoshop (and fixed one minor alpha conflict glitch), but the main element added in post-processing was the lens flare. (There is a lens flare effect in the Black Dragon viewer, but it's not very good.) The original pic is recognizably the same as this, but the flare does admittedly add a lot of drama.

My point being that the tools to produce a shot like this are available to pretty much anyone whose computer is powerful enough to use the Advanced Lighting Model (i.e., shadows and depth of field). It's mostly just a question of learning how to use them, if you want to.

And that last proviso is important: people in this thread are producing wonderful pictures without using all the bells and whistles. It just so happens that playing with this stuff is, for me, a big part of the fun.

7 hours ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Your use of light is simply breathtaking!

Thanks Charalyne! As I said above, it's about the fun: I love playing with light in these pics. (And I owe my addiction mostly to @Skell Dagger, who, a few years ago, gave me my first primer on lighting in SL in this very thread!)

But you know about the fun part: it's pretty clear you're getting the same kind of enjoyment from your own really imaginative pics!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BranScanlon said:

Third time (but probably not a charm)

So yes...attempt three at photo-ing. At present, my skills are the rl equivalent of - "I have taken a selfie with my phone!"

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "a selfie" - in this thread they are all just selfie's really, that's the whole point really, the title being "How does your avatar look today".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I love your photos and have got into the habit of firstly looking at your intense facial expression, then your tee shirt logo, then the setting.  Fab room decoration, but HILARIOUS  pizza box logo.  :D 

Thank you, but I can't take credit for the pizza box, other than incorporating it into the picture. It is a part of the decorations in the lobby of the motel in Mother Road

• Like 3