sl viewer for iphone

NanR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

21 answers to this question

Nan,

Unfortunately Pocket Metaverse is no longer available in the Apple Store nor is its support web-page blog active any longer [ Pocket Metaverse Support Community on Get Satisfaction ]. The product itself disappeared about 24 months ago. The last tweet post was in 2011.  Why it is still in the 3rd party viewer page is a mystery. Apparently Linden Lab does not check regularly with the developers to see if they are still offering and/or supporting their products.

Likewise, Bright Canopy seems to be out of business as well. Its log in page redirects to the general Frame Cloud login page, a company that specializes in hosting applications that are then accessed via a web browser.  [https://fra.me/products]

I'm sorry but you have exactly zero options for accessing SecondLife from your iPhone at this time.

P.S. Android Users with high end multi-processor phones can utilize the Lumiya [http://www.lumiyaviewer.com/] viewer which is still available on the Google Play Store for $2.99 USD.  Due to the way it was coded it has stood the test of time and several LL protocol updates. However the developer no longer answers their email for questions or support issues.

Sigh.

The best guess, offered each time the question comes up in this forum, is that it's purely economics.  Third-party viewers are developed by .... well... third parties, not Linden Lab.  If there's no one interested in creating a viewer for an iPhone -- probably because there's a limited market and little profit -- it's not going to happen.

NanR you might do well to get yourself a cheapy Android device if you need mobile access there are several viewers you could try, Lumiya is my personal favourite for functionality if my tablet running Android Jellybeans is anything to go by you don't need any mega fancy high end kit to run it, there is a one off fee and if you get the Google rewards app you may earn enough playstore credit to get it "free"

In 2016 Android held 86.2 percent of the market, iPhone 12.9 percent.  (per Gartner Research)

Best reason is economics. I think the second reason is the Android world is seriously into VR and 3D rendering. Apple has stuck to 2D gaming and generally provides weaker 3D game rendering across all their devices at a high cost. That translates to better Android support for developers.

Makes me happy and sad. I'm happy that I finally got an iPhone although I should of researched if I can play sl on it using a 3rd party. There is one app but you gotta pay for it and the reviews pretty much bite. You won't be able to see anything just text. So looks like we have to wait a super long time or not even get an app for the iPhone. So looks like we'll be out of luck on this one 

1 hour ago, gothicroguex85 said:

Makes me happy and sad. I'm happy that I finally got an iPhone although I should of researched if I can play sl on it using a 3rd party. There is one app but you gotta pay for it and the reviews pretty much bite. You won't be able to see anything just text. So looks like we have to wait a super long time or not even get an app for the iPhone. So looks like we'll be out of luck on this one 

or use something else for chat .. SL is never meant for mobile devices, those are simply not up for the task.

On 9/17/2016 at 6:50 PM, KarenMichelle Lane said:

Likewise, Bright Canopy seems to be out of business as well. Its log in page redirects to the general Frame Cloud login page, a company that specializes in hosting applications that are then accessed via a web browser.  [https://fra.me/products]

Bright Canopy seems to be alive: https://www.brightcanopy.com/

• Like 1

image.jpeg.5d11e424f5e306839e23b2c81fe5e9ee.jpegUpdate 2017 I got a hold of Bright Canopy last night all you need is crome browser on iPhone or any phone. But it's small fee of 17 dollers a month. So your worry is over.  This  should help here the picture I screen shot message but cut out stuff did need to. There people love second life and enjoy want still be able to play need the resources. https://www.brightcanopy.com/

image.jpeg

Edited by Dreamerra

Apple is not behind Android, because you compare an OS to a product. It´s comparing market share of cars to lamborghini´s.

Anyway, most if not all Android apps go back to a library developed long ago and sadly the maker died a few years back.

This library was made for MS and could "easy" be ported to android but NOT iOS.

So, one had to write a complete new graphics engine, iPhones could handle a 3D viewer, instead of just add a few components.

The time needed for that would never pay back. Apple developers sure know better ways to make money and that´s about it.

Just as a sidenote. I was checking into a 3D Viewer for iPhones but refused because that´s not a job for an single indie developer to only gain fun and fame, not money ;)

Monti

@Corenia Bakerly this app is not available in my country but afaik.

It shows your friends online with data read from your dashboard (webpage)

To chat with people you need to buy another tool, ingame SL, place it on land owned by YOU!

Then you can chat but it looks only to people who are online.

If you only want to see whos online or not, just create a bookmark for the SL dashboard in your mobile browser.

Monti

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Monti Messmer said:

To chat with people you need to buy another tool, ingame SL, place it on land owned by YOU!

I old user from Lumiya. Today Im a new user at IPhone and need a similar app, to chat whith my friends. I brougth Sl Notifier but it needs a URL Of Second Life. 

There is a new iOS app that was released a few days ago that works on my iPhone.  The reviews show some people still have issues with iPads, but I am sure they will be worked out in a future update.  Similar to metaverse, but refined and updated a bit as well.  Only used it a few 30 minutes today so far, but stable for me and I just wanted a chat feature and it even looks like a chat on a mobile device with the bubble chat.

Metachat

https://worldchat2017.wordpress.com/

• Like 1

On 20-9-2017 at 8:41 AM, Joe5284 said:

There is a new iOS app that was released a few days ago that works on my iPhone

it says this for me

Wohooo – rejected again !

After explaining to apple approval team, why the Grid is named “Second Life Beta”, over and over again, finally a member of the team rejected the app exactly for this odd reason again.

I could rename it to “Second Life Aditi” but sometimes it feels good to nag apple with this.

Even after all testing of this release, there is a bug when going back from the first profile page. This removes the bottom navigation bar. As a workaround before the next release, simply open the 2nd, 3rd, 4st page of the profile before going back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.