How do I get a free mesh body for a newbie?

Sinscyanide90

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've only had SL for about a week, and I'm attempting to get a job as a dancer now.  However, most require me to have a mesh body?  I searched for them, but can only find ones that you need to pay for.  But I'm getting a job because I have no money!  Is there anyway to get a free mesh body?  Can you use normal clothing with them?  Halp!

I found a free mesh body online, but my clothing wont show up over it now?

14 answers to this question

Most of the avatars that you select with the Avatar picker in your viewer have mesh bodies.  You can look in the Library >>. Clothing >>> Initial Outfits folder of your inventory too.  The same selection of avatars is there, and the mesh ones are all labeled "(mesh)".

• Like 1

Clothing consists of two very different things.  First, there are clothing attachments - these are 3D objects.  They have the standard "object" inventory symbol, a little cube.  Attachments may be made out of ordinary prims or sculpted prims, but most attachments these days are mesh objects.  In fact, your mesh body is an attachment too...you hide your classic avatar body with an alpha mask, and the mesh body goes over it.

The other type of clothing is layers.  Clothing layers are 2 dimensional textures that are painted directly onto your classic avatar body.  Clothing layers will not show up on a mesh body, they ONLY work with the classic avatars.

For very close-fitting clothes on a mesh body, you need an "applier".  An applier is a small HUD that comes with a mesh clothing outfit, or with a skin.  It...wait for it...it "applies" the clothing or skin texture to the mesh body, just as the standard avatar system applies a clothing layer to your classic avatar body.

My advice would be to NOT fret about getting a job just yet.  Wait until you have had more time to explore Second Life and find out how things work here.  To do well as a dancer, for example, you not only need to look good, you need to know how to emote...that is, how to tease the customers, flirt with them, arouse them...and induce them to part with some money.  You also need to know how to take off your clothes with a certain amount of style and grace...and not leave great big gaps where you forgot to take off an alpha mask!  You can't just leave your avatar twirling around a dance pole, run out for a snack, and expect to come back and find a full tip jar!

So...if you don't have a job, what do you do about money?  Buy some!  Use a credit card or a verified PayPal or Skrill account to buy $10 or $20 worth of $L.  You can live pretty high in SL for the cost of a couple of Starbucks' lattes a week.

• Like 2

(with apologies for reviving a necro'ed thread!)

I am going to post this here for the information of people who are still looking for a free mesh body:

Here is a complete and up-to-date list of all the free and inexpensive options for mesh heads and bodies for FEMALE avatars:

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/09/24/second-life-steals-deals-and-freebies-free-mesh-heads-and-bodies-for-female-second-life-avatars/

And here is a list of all the free and inexpensive options for mesh heads and bodies for MALE avatars:

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/10/04/second-life-steals-deals-and-freebies-free-and-inexpensive-mesh-heads-and-bodies-for-male-second-life-avatars/

I try to keep these two posts as up-to-date as possible.

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you missed the Valentine’s-Day-only Altamura group gifts of the Romeo and Juliet full-body mesh avatars and were cursing your bad luck, well, guess what?? THEY'RE BACK, but only between now and February 27th, 2019!!

These are not the usual sort of freebie Altamura full-body (i..e head and body) mesh avatar which I have often blogged about before, which is limited to one skin tone and where you cannot remove the head. These are fully-featured, fully-adjustable, Omega-compatible mesh bodies, with Bento heads and Bento hands! Romeo comes in 4 skin tones and Juliet comes in 8 skin tones. 

Romeo and Juliet are easily the equivalent of what you would usually spend L$4,899 on at the Altamura store (or L$7,750 if you spring for the standard-issue Maitreya Lara mesh body and a Catwa Bento head, and that’s before you buy skin appliers). All this is yours for just the group join fee of L$50 to join the Altamura Design/Mesh Avatars group, which is less than 1% of the Maitreya/Catwa combination.

Needless to say, THIS IS AN ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING DEAL WHICH YOU SHOULD NOT PASS UP. 

More details here: https://ryanschultz.com/2019/02/22/altamura-romeo-and-juliet-full-body-mesh-avatars-are-again-available-but-only-until-february-27th/

3 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

Heads up on another great deal for a Bento female mesh head. Cleo is a L$1 group gift from Akeruka, you can join the Akeruka group for L$150 to get it. The offer is only until June 20th, so hurry down. More details here:

https://ryanschultz.com/2019/06/06/second-life-steals-deals-and-freebies-akeruka-cleo-female-bento-mesh-head-only-l151/

Akeruka Cleo Head 6 Jun 2019.jpg

Thank you. Thanks to a friend I could join the group. But now I am confused. Which one to chose, or doesn't it matter??

Snapshot_003.png

Edited by AidySL
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ananoelle said:

Also this body. I personally haven't used it. There is a male and female version. Ruth and Roth I believe. Cheap as biscuits and community created apparantly. 

-Release-Candidate-1v2/16068068

sounds to me more a release for developers, reading the contents it will be seriously confusing for people who only hunt for the cheap option. The store shows more bodies who seem to be further developed, of course with a different price.
Also very doubtfull there is, or will be, a decent amount of clothing and skins available and one big thing...  no omega
My conclusion : not suited for normal use (yet)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

sounds to me more a release for developers, reading the contents it will be seriously confusing for people who only hunt for the cheap option. The store shows more bodies who seem to be further developed, of course with a different price.
Also very doubtfull there is, or will be, a decent amount of clothing and skins available and one big thing...  no omega
My conclusion : not suited for normal use (yet)

Agreed. I did however buy it for my basic no frills alt to play around with. At L$1 I didnt mind the spend lol.

Picked up the Ak head also. Its quite nice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AidySL said:

Thank you. Thanks to a friend I could join the group. But now I am confused. Which one to chose, or doesn't it matter??

Snapshot_003.png

Answered here: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/429418-cheap-mesh-heads/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.