The 80 000 Challenge

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I played with a male alt for 3 or 4 hours this weekend trying to get him updated before giving up in frustration.  Finding male anything is hard enough but so much of it is average quality and 40K+ for things like short mesh hair styles.

Anyway, I replied to Whirly's post because I left him with mesh body, head, eyes, no bits and a rather feminine short hair style and he was right at 49K

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to get this fantasy RP avatar down to 35,827.

This avatar was originally 207,884. It took a lot of work modding and replacing items, retexturing, and hunting down all of the invisible/hidden parts content creators like to hide in the attachments they release. I don't expect the average user to put that kind of work into reducing their draw weight. Below is the original 207,884 draw weight version so you can see how much it changed.

Mostly I replaced old sculpted prim items with mesh, but I also replaced some high-poly mesh items with low-poly alternatives. The original face mask, for instance, was over 50,000 draw weight all by itself. The original hair also had unreasonably high draw weight. All of the mesh items I replaced could have had much lower draw weight if only the creators had optimized them.

I put this avatar together a little over a year ago to demonstrate that high-detail avatars are not only possible, but easy, if content creators are producing optimized attachments before they put them up for sale. Fewer vertices, less texture memory, use LOD efficiently and don't leave hidden prims and faces in your attachments.

I often wish LL would tie some of the new features they've released over the years to reasonable draw weight caps. Exactly how they tied Land Impact calculations to using mesh or materials. That way you could still use your old content at the sacrifice of not being able to use those new features simultaneously. They could have done this with rigged mesh, fitted mesh, or materials. All features people were willing to phase out older content to make use of.

You know, Bento is coming soon. That might be LL's last chance to bring avatar render weight under control.

Simple and 18K

Body: ONANauha, for the hands
Hair: .Olive. the Snow Princess Hair
Head: Catwa Cindy (basic)
Top: Shawna - Jacket (default jacket until I find a top that works)
Pants: FDD Stories *Trissa* Fitted Pants
Boots: Vampire Hunter Alison - Boots (yes also LL clothing)

I for one am thankful as heck for the jellybean update, and I hope this brings the harsh lesson that uploading mesh directly from zbrush, unretopoed, into second life, is awful. If they tried to get a real game graphic job they would be laughed at all the way home *rolls eyes*

Here's my attempt, I'm using a CatWa head and Maitreya body

Removing my hair makes a grand load of difference. hair creators are some of the least educated in mesh optimization on SL.

The pants are from Pixicat who legit has the BEST optimized clothing on SECOND LIFE, primarialy because she used to make clothing mods for The Sims 3 before moving to second life, where high poly garbage doesn't fly nearly as well as it does here.

OPTIMIZATION MATTERS!

• 2 weeks later...

Outfit complexity: 52,928

Outfit details

Maitreya Lara mesh body + Maitreya mesh Hands by Onyx LeShelle.
LAQ Trinity mesh head (LAQ Wilma skin) by Mallory Cowen.

Hair: [RA] Dorothy Hair - Rigged w/ materials by Candela Kira.
Hair Bow: **Dirty Princess** Daddy's Lil Dorothy Princess Hair Bow by Twistia Twine

Mesh eyes: IKON Spectral Eyes  - Ghost by Ikon Innovia

Shoes: LOTUS. Dorothy Pumps (Maitreya) by lilanachristina Resident.

Dress: Maytreya BETA Dorothy dress BlueRed by Una Daxter.

Hand rings: Amala - The Atara Stacking Rings - Maitreya 20 by crystalny Resident.
Bracelet: Entice - Yellow Brick Road Charm Bracelet by EnticeStore Resident.

Dog in basket: tps. toto's basket by Piper Patrucci

Complexity: 56,330

Outfit details:

Maitreya Lara mesh body + mesh hands + mesh feet by Onyx LeShelle
LAQ Trinity mesh head, LAQ Wilma skin by Mallory Cowen

Mesh Hair: [monso] My Hair - Sinbi_M /Blonde by Morphine Janick
Mesh Eyes: [whatever] Eyes - #10 by AnnaGrey Resident

Mesh Rings: Amala - The Atara Stacking Rings - Maitreya 20 by crystalny Resident
Mesh  Nails: [FORMANAILS] BALLERINA NAILS FOR MAITREYA -BP - LH+RH by Ivi Bing

Mesh Top: Faenzo Wool Sweater - Pearl (Maitreya Lara) by Faenzo Resident
Mesh Jeans: Blueberry - Melanie Jeans - Cutie Bootie - Maitreya by Blueberryxx Resident
Mesh Boots: REIGN.- ROME LACE UP HEELS- MAITREYA HIGH by KenadeeCole Resident

I thought I'd see what pretty much my normal av came in at, mesh body and all. So I downloaded the latest Firestorm to check it out, and was pleasantly surprised, especially since I expected the jewellery to have a huge hit.

Total = 38,390!

(Even managed to crank some shadows out of my 8yo laptop!)

Includeed here are Catwa Helena head, Slink body, hands, feet and shoes, old butterfly jewellery from an unknown store (Necklace, bracelet, earings & ring), Truth mesh hair, with shape, skin, makeup and dress my own.

Outfit complexity: 75, 255

Removing the collar & cuffs lowers complexity to 40k, which makes me a little sad, but as long as I'm under 80k I don't worry too much.

Outfit Details:

Mesh body: Maitreya Lara body + mesh hands by Onyx LeShelle.
Mesh Head: LAQ ~ Mesh Head Trinity V1.5, LAQ Wilma skin by Mallory Cowen.

Makeup Applier: SG:: Group Gift HARLEY SlackGirl Omega applier by SlackGirl Resident.
Body Tattoo Applier: -Endless Pain Tattoos- Harley Maitreya applier by Mae Jewell.

Mesh Hair: little bones. Harley - Harley Quinn RARE by Nova Faerye.
Mesh Top: Blueberry & Grixdale - Madcap top - Hour - Pink by Tyr Rozenblum
Mesh Jacket: Blueberry & Grixdale - Madcap Jacket - Lara - AquaPink by Tyr Rozenblum.
Mesh Pants: Blueberry & Grixdale - Madcap - Pantie - Lara -AquaPink by Tyr Rozenblum.
Mesh Boots: [Renegade] Amber - Brown (Maitreya) by Alexandra0666 Resident.

Mesh Eyes: [whatever] Eyes - #10 by AnnaGrey Resident.
Mesh Cuffs: ^^Swallow^^ Harl3y Quinn/ SUICIDE bracelet 0.1 by luciayes Magic.
Mesh Collar: ^^Swallow^^ Harl3y Quinn/ PUDDIN Collar 0.1 by luciayes Magic.
Mesh Baseball Bat: Blueberry & Grixdale - Madcap - Bat - Pink (Cosmetic) by Tyr Rozenblum.
Mesh Rings: Amala - The Atara Stacking Rings by crystalny Resident.
Mesh Nails: [FORMANAILS] BALLERINA -2- NAILS FOR MAITREYA Big Pack by Ivi Bing.

Complexity: 47, 591

Outfit Details:

Mesh Body: Maitreya Lara + Mesh Hands by Onyx LeShelle.
Body Skin: Genesis Fluture_Maitreya_Applier in vanilla by Freezea Resident.
Body Freckles: Lara Hurley-Maitreya freckles applier by Lara Hurley.

Mesh Head: Genesis_Head_Makena_2.0_Albino by Freezea Resident.
This head is a free group gift & only 524 complexity! Beware the seperate eyelashes attachment though, that's 39k! (not wearing those  lol).
Mesh Ears: Ear_2.1_Genesis_Lab by Freezea Resident.
Mesh Teeth: Genesis_Lab_Teeth by Freezea Resident.
Mesh Feet: Slink Avatar Enhancement Feet Deluxe V1 by Siddean Munro.

Mesh Hair: little bones. Cross (L) by Nova Faerye,

Mesh Dress: ::moonamore+cureless:/Maitreya Exp Sous-Marine Dress / RARE by PsyQueen Resident.
Mesh Boots: :moonamore+cureless: Boots SLINK med / Pure by PsyQueen Resident.
Mesh Panties: #11 Blueberry - Mykonos / COMMON / Panties - Maitreya - Black by Blueberryxx Resident.
Mesh Butterflies: :moonamore+cureless: L'Aura / PURE by Kaorinette Resident.
Mesh Eye Taps: :moonamore+cureless: Les Larmes /Silver by Kaorinette Resident.
Mesh Baloon: :moonamore+cureless:/ Manifesto Balloon by PsyQueen Resident.
Mesh Nails: [FORMANAILS] BALLERINA NAILS FOR MAITREYA -BP by Ivi Bing.

Not going to name and shame, but I just picked up a group gift hair that was around 80,000 alone. A simple, unrigged mesh style released in the last few months. Most of the styles I've tried recently have been under 5,000. Some designers have picked up on the demand for low render cost accessories, some have yet to get the memo.

Kelli May wrote:

Not going to name and shame, but I just picked up a group gift hair that was around 80,000 alone.

Let me guess, was that from an old once great designer who returned recently with a new set of mesh hairs weith LOD so poor they' disappear even at medium viewing distance? ;)

Hopefully this thread has been going on for long enough nobiody remember I promised not to post more pictures myself here. :P

Somebody complained in another thread about boar avis showing up as read blobs. Well, here's the good old SL10B bear avatar:

Render weight 1874. I actually can't understand how it's even possible to make a plain animal avatar so render heavy it may be caught in the jellybaby filter.

ChinRey wrote:

Kelli May wrote:

Not going to name and shame, but I just picked up a group gift hair that was around 80,000 alone.

Let me guess, was that from an old once great designer who returned recently with a new set of mesh hairs weith LOD so poor they' disappear even at medium viewing distance?
;)

I didn't recognise the name, so I can't be sure. It got deleted and I probably won't check them for new stuff, so it failed as a store gift.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.