The 80 000 Challenge

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now that the Jellybabies finally are an official part of Second Life, here is a challenge to you all: What is the best outfit you can manage to put together without going over 80 000 in render weight?

I have no fashion sense at all and my SL wardrobe is a certified disaster zone but just to get hings started, this is what I managed to come up with in a hurry:

I'm sure others can do a lot better.

(Btw, if anybody wondrs why 80 000 is the limit, that seems to be the "safe" level. If your avatar is higher res than that, you'll start to show up as a jellybaby in some other people's viewers.)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been going through my saved outfits to bring the complexity number down below 80,000 and in many cases can get to 30,000-35,000.

The worst offenders seem to be older jewellery items. I was absolutely shocked to discover that a pair of earrings and a necklace contributed a massive 73,000 between them. They will never be worn again. I've spent a lot on my avatar and I don't want to be a jellydoll to everyone.

For those with mesh bodies, refer to the MBA article here. Some results may shock you but thankfully my Lara body has the lowest count of all.

http://meshbodyaddicts.com/whatsyouraci/

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Sadly, my nonhuman mesh bodies blow 80K out of the water.. So, i will be a jelly-lycan, jelly- minotaur, jelly-demon and all the others..

Not necessarily, take a look at this for example (sorry, had to censor that picture a li'l bit)

A not particularly low weight mesh body for the upper torso, a long flexi hair and it's still well below the 80 000 limit.

The spider part is an old all-sculpts avi and it was made by none other than Flea Bussy but I've seen the same with mesh avis and avis made by less epxerienced creators too: if it's well made, even the most elaborate non-human avatar can have lower, not higher, render weight than a human one.

ChinRey wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Sadly, my nonhuman mesh bodies blow 80K out of the water.. So, i will be a jelly-lycan, jelly- minotaur, jelly-demon and all the others..

Not necessarily, take a look at this for example (sorry, had to censor that picture a li'l bit)

A not particularly low weight mesh body for the upper torso, a long flexi hair and it's still well below the 80 000 limit.

The spider part is an old all-sculpts avi and it was made by none other than Flea Bussy but I've seen the same with mesh avis and avis made by less epxerienced creators too: if it's well made, even the most elaborate non-human avatar can have lower, not higher, render weight than a human one.

I did say MY nonhuman avs... I have checked them all and only 3 that i wear regualrly some in at less than 80K, and the minotaur is only that low naked..

Just south of 66K. Mesh body, hands, feet, hair, earrings, sunglasses, dress and shoes.

eta: while working on this, I found a pair of mesh shoes with an render cost of around 80K, but most pairs I have are in the 1000-8000 range.

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Maitreya full body alpha

Catwa head alpha

Aww, that's gorgeous! Looks much better than the completely free single full-body-including-head alphas you can find in the Library Folder!

Icidentally, a completely invisible avatar has an ARC of 1000. It's probably the name tag that does it.

Just FYI ... there's nothing magical about 80,000; that's the default for Medium graphics setting (and most Macs). The default you get will vary depending on the viewers assessment of your GPU - high end ones will default higher, and some may default lower.

It's a great goal, though. I have my own viewer set to around 100K most of the time, which really improves performance by cutting off the very expensive ones.

Oz Linden wrote:

Just FYI ... there's nothing magical about 80,000; that's the default for Medium graphics setting (and most Macs).

But that's what makes it magical, Oz! ^_^

Most people will keep their graphics settings at default and what's the point putting together a gorgeous avatar if not everybody can see it?

Yesterday I downloaded and tried the latest official viewer to experience the jelly doll feature. My main stream viewer is firestorm since i started wearing mesh head because apparently v3 has some bugs with the mesh head brand that im using or the other way around.

I'm on iMac 5k with i7, 32 gb ram and 4g vcard. In Firestorm on high graphic setting with shadows off on 2560x1440 resolution, i am getting the lowest of 18-20 fps on an "scullty/mesh overloaded" sim and 30-80fps on open field sim like a low traffic blake sea airport. Now on the latest Official Viewer my fps is from the lowest of 8 to thhe highest 16 in any sim. i went to place where i am usually getting 30-70fps and voila i have 16fps.

Then i went to a busy club with the 80k ARC baseline setting on high graphics with my default screen resolution which is 2560x1440 and as soon as i tped there i felt alone on 8 fps. Yes, 8fps with every single avi on solid color or the jelly doll but it looks more like a plastic doll like the green plastic soldier toy. I kept on playing with my settings and also saved the default 80k baseline to unlimited and still i have the below decent fps. I tried stayinng much longer thinking that i might have an empty cache and gathering textures is making my fps dropped.

After that i returned to Firestorm and it works like how it should be but i am a bit worried for the next version or update of Firestorm that i might get the same problem on my frame rate in the Official viewer.

tako Absent wrote:

I'm on iMac 5k with i7, 32 gb ram and 4g vcard. In Firestorm on high graphic setting with shadows off on 2560x1440 resolution, i am getting the lowest of 18-20 fps on an "scullty/mesh overloaded" sim and 30-80fps on open field sim like a low traffic blake sea airport. Now on the latest Official Viewer my fps is from the lowest of 8 to thhe highest 16 in any sim. i went to place where i am usually getting 30-70fps and voila i have 16fps.

That's a lot of difference but you should note that "High" in the official viewer is quite a bit higher than it is in Firestorm. The main difference is that ALM is switched on by default in the official viewer and off in Firestorm.

Edit: I just did a quick test in Firestorm. With default high I got 51 fps, tweaking the settings to emulate the SL Viewer high graphics reduced fps to 29. It's all about whether ALM is on or off.

Yes, I know I shouldn't post too many pictures myself here and besides, I try to keep my alts away from the forum - they're annoying enough inworld.

But since there was some talk about non-human avis, here's my S&C (Scripter and Centaur) alt, Bel. I promise this will be my last picture here. Hope to still see lots more gorgeous ones from others!

Maitreya mesh human upper body, Kot fitted mesh centaur lower body, amber necklace by Charlotta Jenkins, old sculpts-and-flexi hair... Render weight 29 967.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

ETA.. i wonder if ACI is the same numer as ARC is in Firestorm?

ARC in Firestorm seems to be buggy, and based on 100% alpha being 600 and not 1,000 it's also likely wrong.

•  Relog wearing a base naked outfit - mesh body, mesh feet and skin. 32,428 (Blue outfit)
  • Add Drot Vincent (standard flexi type hair with a few alphas) - 36,528 (Green outfit)
  • Add Krankhaus Pullover - 129,628 (Purple outfit)
  • Take off Kranhaus Pullover - 65,832
  • (( this is effectively a 30K ghost added just by adding and removing something heavy )).
  • Relog - 65,832
  • Take off Drot Vincent - 32,428
  • Put on Drot Vincent - 44,382
  • Add Krankhaus Pullover - 129,628
  • Take off Kranhaus Pullover - 65,832

Testing from the 100% alpha

• Relog wearing 100% Alpha - 600
  • Add Drot Vincent - 11,954
  • Add Krankhaus Pullover - 97,200
  • Take off Krankhaus Pullover - 33,404 (Should be 11,954, or was that wrong to start?)

Just the base body, feet, skin, hair is jumping in weight depending on what was worn before. Those numbers should not change. It should be a cost - and that is it.

Using the alpha to do the calculation: Is the hair 11,354 or 32,804?

I am thinking in some situations people using Firestorm to find their renderweights for the "80K challenge" might be showing less than they really are. Seems you need to add something heavy, then take it off again to get your real, much higher weight.

Guess we have to see what the FS team push out with Jellybeans.

ChinRey wrote:

tako Absent wrote:

That's a lot of difference but you should note that "High" in the official viewer is quite a bit higher than it is in Firestorm. The main difference is that ALM is switched on by default in the official viewer and off in Firestorm.

Edit: I just did a quick test in Firestorm. With default high I got 51 fps, tweaking the settings to emulate the SL Viewer high graphics reduced fps to 29. It's all about whether ALM is on or off.

hmmm no, both of the settings i tried on official and fs has its alm on and i think both in official and fs viewer has alm on by default on high setting. Maybe you are refering to the "medium-high" or "semi-high" graphics which by default alm is off on both viewer. Also, even if i turn my alm off on the latest official viewer release, im still getting the maximum frame rate of 16.

tako Absent wrote:

hmmm no, both of the settings i tried on official and fs has its alm on and i think both in official and fs viewer has alm on by default on high setting.

No. The default for high graphics is ALM off on Fs and on on the SL Viewer.

I did another quick test, Logged on with the SL viewer and switched to high graphics. Fps I got was around 33. Then I logged on to exactly the same scne with Fs, switched to high graphics and switched ALM on. Fps: around 35, nly marginally faster.

That's on a Windows computer though. It's quite possible Firestorm is more Mac friendly than the SL viewer. I've never noticed any significant fps difference between the two viewers on my Mac either but it's on wireless so it may be that it's masked by the slower connection.

ChinRey wrote:

tako Absent wrote:

hmmm no, both of the settings i tried on official and fs has its alm on and i think both in official and fs viewer has alm on by default on high setting.

No. The default for high graphics is ALM off on Fs and on on the SL Viewer.

I did another quick test, Logged on with the SL viewer and switched to high graphics. Fps I got was around 33. Then I logged on to exactly the same scne with Fs, switched to high graphics and switched ALM on. Fps: around 35, nly marginally faster.

That's on a Windows computer though. It's quite possible Firestorm is more Mac friendly than the SL viewer. I've never noticed any significant fps difference between the two viewers on my Mac either but it's on wireless so it may be that it's masked by the slower connection.

well mine is both on by default. i just downloaded both of them on a fresh computer days ago and never switch my alm since their already ON.  anyways, i hope the next fs release wont be as problematic as the latest official viewer (on my system). 

Bryce Kidd wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

ETA.. i wonder if ACI is the same numer as ARC is in Firestorm?

ARC in Firestorm seems to be buggy, and based on 100% alpha being 600 and not 1,000 it's also likely wrong.

•  Relog wearing a base naked outfit - mesh body, mesh feet and skin.
    32,428 (Blue outfit)
  • Add Drot Vincent (standard flexi type hair with a few alphas) -
    36,528 (Green outfit)
  • Add Krankhaus Pullover -
    129,628 (Purple outfit)
  • Take off Kranhaus Pullover -
  • (( this is effectively a 30K ghost added just by adding and removing something heavy )).
  • Relog -
  • Take off Drot Vincent -
  • Put on Drot Vincent -
  • Add Krankhaus Pullover -
  • Take off Kranhaus Pullover -

Testing from the 100% alpha
  • Relog wearing 100% Alpha - 600
  • Add Drot Vincent - 11,954
  • Add Krankhaus Pullover - 97,200
  • Take off Krankhaus Pullover - 33,404 (Should be 
    11,954, or was that wrong to start?)

Just the base body, feet, skin, hair is jumping in weight depending on what was worn before. Those numbers should not change. It should be a cost - and that is it.

Using the alpha to do the calculation: Is the hair 11,354 or 32,804?

I am thinking in some situations people using Firestorm to find their renderweights for the "80K challenge" might be showing less than they really are. Seems you need to add something heavy, then take it off again to get your real, much higher weight.

Guess we have to see what the FS team push out with Jellybeans.

The current Firestorm release does not have the QuickGraphics code including   the ARC / ARW calculation changes included in that.  The next release will have those changes.

So yes, it's best to test your avatar complexities using the latest LL viewer release from https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

For anyone who wants to test a Firestorm build that has the QuickGraphics code merged in asap, please apply to be a Firestorm beta tester and you will get access to a  QuickGraphics enabled Firestorm, which will give you the same complexity readings as the LL viewer.

ChinRey wrote:

I promise this will be my last picture here.

Well, I lied. Just one more. This really is going to be my last!

Chin Rey's Jellybaby Avatar (Female Version) tinted pink...ish. ARC: 598.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.