When is enough actually enough?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have spent 12 years in second life and have only two avatars .  I've spent literally thousands upon thousands of linden and a lot of RL money trying to enjoy this game/client/virtual world.  12 years of lag and items disappearing.  12 years of poor no upgrade to design or engine.  12 years of the same old thing that continues to recycle and recyle itself.  When is it actually enough?  I'm sick and tired of having to go through loops on a super power computer to reduce lag.  I'm getting annoyed of losing items and having to go here, there and everywhere in order to retrieve them.  Is it funny to buy a chair for 5,000 linden only to have it disappear in a matter of minutes from the SL monster?  Do you have the energy, time and effort to go through a process of returning your items knowing the chances are slim?  When is it enough?  12 years ago I told myself "wow, the possibilites that SL can become a real virtual reality game/client.  When I look around, I still see the same old stuff with enhanced graphics from mesh users built but the same old lag.  Should the game be called Second Life or Lag Life?  I think it's about that time I hung my avatars to dry.  Actually going on 13 years of SL and saying, it's finally over.  You have failed me in every way.  It's not about the beauty of games, it's about how they play.  

I've had enough of Second Life and I hope...I truly hope that there's a company, a man or a group out there that can stick it to Linden Labs and show them how to really make a virtual world and bring us in the future.  I'm tired of hearing abou their new project that literally has no life in it.  Probably rumors or hearsay.  A new second life?  It's a hoaks.  The virtual world is officially dead.  I'm tired of watching new movies today in black white.  That's how second life feels.

In closing argument, Linden Labs, you owe me thousands of lindens and hundreds of US dollars for my constant lost items and pain suffering of lag.  You either have something new or you don't.  Man up!

If it took 12 years for LL to finally burst your bubble ("I'm mad as hell and I won't take it anymore!"), then I'd say it's probably worth your while to do a monster upgrade to your computer so you can really enjoy what it offers.  I started 9+ years ago on a laptop that was not built for the graphics SL required at the time. Things took awhile to rez or remained grey. The world was fabulous then, even so.  My computer's much better and SL is still remarkable.

If you really think LL is going to refund you for anything, you're dreaming.

LMFAO!!  I'm not looking for a refund, it's sarcasm.  My computer can handle 2 games open on Ultra.  As of yesterday, SL is back to being stable.  My point is, it's been nearly 13 years.  It's about that time we see an upgrade.  I know they're working on a new so called "Second Life" and so many SL members are not happy.  Those people that are not happy are the reason why we don't see a future for SL.  We need to evolve in technology.  Believe me, SL has come a long way.  Lag is not acceptable for 13 years.  I've been in the MMORPG world nearly all my life since I can remember playing video games and I'm 39 years old.  Main priority in an MMORPG is stability.  Granted SL is not an MMORPG but the lag should be addressed.  The reason why it's not because the engine is old.  The whole structure is completely old and needs a rehaul.  This is why they are working on something new which I believe will not be for a few years.  Never believe the hype.

Lord Derryth wrote:

LMFAO!!  I'm not looking for a refund, it's sarcasm.  My computer can handle 2 games open on Ultra.  As of yesterday, SL is back to being stable.  My point is, it's been nearly 13 years.  It's about that time we see an upgrade.  I know they're working on a new so called "Second Life" and so many SL members are not happy.  Those people that are not happy are the reason why we don't see a future for SL.  We need to evolve in technology.  Believe me, SL has come a long way.  Lag is not acceptable for 13 years.  I've been in the MMORPG world nearly all my life since I can remember playing video games and I'm 39 years old.  Main priority in an MMORPG is stability.  Granted SL is not an MMORPG but the lag should be addressed.  The reason why it's not because the engine is old.  The whole structure is completely old and needs a rehaul.  This is why they are working on something new which I believe will not be for a few years.  Never believe the hype.

The new product LL is working on is code-named Sansar. It's not meant to be a replacement for SL; it's LL's attempt to provide VR-capable virtual world hosting to other companies or individuals. I agree that SL's software could use a rewrite, but that's a tough job. Anything LL comes up with has to be compatible with SL's existing content or SL's residents will disappear. Things are improving though -- I don't think lag is nearly the problem it was several years ago. I don't remember the last time a region crashed while I was on it. There's a new avatar setup coming out soon (Project Bento). Mesh has allowed me to over-decorate a homestead region with more stuff than a full region could've managed before mesh.

Rewriting everything wouldn't fix the problem anyway -- SL's content is a big part of the problem. It's built by residents and is generally not done efficiently. Add in the ever-increasing graphics complexity of people's avatars and everything drags down. That's why Sansar is doing things differently: You set up your scene, it gets optimized by some LL process, then it's published to your experience/world & becomes available for people to visit. Going in-world and building things isn't done in Sansar.

Lord Derryth wrote:

LMFAO!!  I'm not looking for a refund, it's sarcasm.  My computer can handle 2 games open on Ultra.  As of yesterday, SL is back to being stable.  My point is, it's been nearly 13 years.  It's about that time we see an upgrade.
 I know they're working on a new so called "Second Life"
and so many SL members are not happy.  Those people that are not happy are the reason why we don't see a future for SL.  We need to evolve in technology.  Believe me, SL has come a long way.  Lag is not acceptable for 13 years.  I've been in the MMORPG world nearly all my life since I can remember playing video games and I'm 39 years old.  Main priority in an MMORPG is stability.  Granted SL is not an MMORPG but the lag should be addressed.  The reason why it's not because the engine is old.  The whole structure is completely old and needs a rehaul.  This is why they are working on something new which I believe will not be for a few years.
 Never believe the hype.

No they are not. You're out of touch.

What hype? It's we users who thought of the new thing as SL2. LL didn't suggest that that's what it would be. As time went by, it became clear that it isn't SL2 at all.

I don't know this lag you speak of. I live in Ireland and am on a fibre optic connection. Even before I had that, I've never really suffered from this lag monster. 

Have you looked at your connection at all? Upgraded your internet or changed providers. Are you on a wifi or direct connection? With lag on in any online platform. I would look into your connection first. 

Lord Derryth wrote:

LMFAO!!  I'm not looking for a refund
, it's sarcasm
.  My computer can handle 2 games open on Ultra.  As of yesterday, SL is back to being stable.  My point is, it's been nearly 13 years.  It's about that time we see an upgrade.  I know they're working on a new so called "Second Life" and so many SL members are not happy.  Those people that are not happy are the reason why we don't see a future for SL.  We need to evolve in technology.  Believe me, SL has come a long way.  Lag is not acceptable for 13 years.  I've been in the MMORPG world nearly all my life since I can remember playing video games and I'm 39 years old.  Main priority in an MMORPG is stability.  Granted SL is not an MMORPG but the lag should be addressed.  The reason why it's not because the engine is old.  The whole structure is completely old and needs a rehaul.  This is why they are working on something new which I believe will not be for a few years.  Never believe the hype.

Yes, I was sarcastic, too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.