Welcome aboard Bagman Linden!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Welcome Aboard Jeff.

I did do a little bit of googling.  Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubSpace_%28video_game%29 ) had some interesting notes on Subspace:

History

"SubSpace evolved from a game originally called Sniper (1995), a project to test the effects and severity of lag in a massively multiplayer environment over dialup connections.[9] After its creators realized its viability as an actual game, public beta testing began in February, 1996, and it became fully public later that year. The game was released commercially in December 1997 with a list price of US$27.99 for unlimited play, requiring no monthly or hourly fees.[10] The game was originally developed by Burst, led by Jeff Petersen (aka Jeff P.), Rod Humble and Juan Sanchez, for the US branch of the now-defunct Virgin Interactive."

Hopefully he has some great ideas for reducing Lag in SL

EDIT:  Adding a link to CNets archived review of Subspace.  A Cool Review:  http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-games/subspace-pc/1707-9696_7-30977300.html

Welcome aboard.  Here are your traditional gifts as established by Katt Linden; asbestos underwear, Troll repellent, spf5x10^5 sunblock, burn creme, and some rose colored sunglasses.  But we do hope you don't wear the sunglasses -- been too much of that in the lab already :)

I hope you and your staff have the programmer chops to fix what needs fixed.  A good way to improve LL's income quickly is a megaIsland, which is 512mx512m.  Only the SE corner has landmap (a standard map) and the rest is all empty sea as far is the viewer is concerned.  But this is easily fixed with megaprims to create a faux land floor.  For those interested in racing, flying, combat or boating, these will sell like hotcakes.  Sell it at the same price as a regular island and the same limits on prims and visitors, and watch the red ink shrink.

And the crossing problem with these is simply solved -- they are stand alone only and no crossing is possible to any other sim.

Best of luck to you!

Mega Islands can wait until AFTER LL fixes SL's scale issues. It's definitely a case of putting the cart before the horse to introduce larger, more expensive sims when people are already using the sims they have as if they were 1/4th their actual current size due entirely to bad planning on the Lab's part.

That said, I think it's interesting that the new CEO and now the first new Linden announcement I've seen in a while both have videogame backgrounds. That could be a very good sign.

One solution to reduce lag would be for every Resident to move closer to the servers. I just pulled my chair forward about an inch, the improvement is noticeable.

If I had an engine's ear what might I ask? Have you heard of Marko Rodin and his vortex mathematics theory? One of his claims is that binary is an illusion and that there is a 3rd component around which the 0 and 1 or any number set revolves with predictability.

If computers use 0's and 1's and this 3rd component can be proven to exist, how might that effect the possiblities for computer development?    

Computers use 1's and 0's, represented by the presence or absense of a charge.  This is the crux of the digital world.  Even if this Vortex thing was correct/provided time travel/cured aids/fixed the national debt/removes unsightly blemishes, not a single computer/modem/network/hard drive/monitor on Earth can make use of it.  So let's stick to tech that we will actually see/have/use over the next quarter century rather than yank the man's chain; I'm sure he has lots to do.

Welcome, Jeff/Bagman.

I'd like to hear more about what you want to see SL move towards. Or, rather, a yes or no to: is "the answer" to tap the untapped bazillions of people who currently don't use SL for their corporate social media messaging?

You have a lot of catch up to do. SL has been hurting for years. Service is screwed up. Everybody hates these damned forums and the moderation here.

Also, please let people comment on your blog posts.

(PS: a bonus hint since you're new: SL is a social media platform.. tell people to stop pushing other social media platforms..)

Perrie Juran wrote:

...The game was originally developed by Burst, led by Jeff Petersen (aka Jeff P.),
Rod Humble
and Juan Sanchez... 

We're getting the band back together!!

Meade Paravane wrote:

Also, please let people comment on your blog posts.

This isn't just his blog. The "View Article Reactions" links don't work for all blogs, at least since we switched to Lithium. Either the URL is pointing improperly or there isn't any reaction area on Technorati, or both, which seems to be the case i'm seeing.

The good news is, i just contacted Live Chat a few minutes ago to let them know what's going on with those. They said they'll report it and try to get them all fixed for us. :)

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.