Clear Harassment

JT Castanea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

JT Castanea wrote:

How many times must I report a clear harassment account generated ONLY to harass me, give rl information and disparage my children online?

If someone is truly harassing you, then you need to report them to your local police.  If all they're really doing is bothering you online, then you need to make use of the tools already given you to protect yourself or get over it.

...Dres

Dresden wrote:

JT Castanea wrote:

How many times must I report a clear harassment account generated ONLY to harass me, give rl information and disparage my children online?

If someone is truly harassing you, then you need to report them to your local police.  If all they're really doing is bothering you online, then you need to make use of the tools already given you to protect yourself or get over it.

...Dres

Maybe I'm missing something here, Dres, but it seems to me that -- assuming that the OP is accurately reporting what is happening -- this is a pretty legitimate complaint. He is describing violations of the Community Standards which, in some contexts might, I suppose, come under the heading of "being bothered online," but that in SL are, in fact, violations of the platform's own rules of conduct.

The point that he is, I think, making is precisely that he's tried using "the tools already given" to him to deal with it, and that they aren't working.

To the OP: I don't know how "many times" you need to make a report, but LL does seem, from all that I've heard, to work pretty slowly on these things, and not always to the satisfaction of those making the complaint. Make sure, if you are filing an abuse report, that you include a screenshot and as much useful detail as possible: that may help. Or it may not.

What a lot of people call harassment is more of a personal problem or dispute with someone and doesn't rise to the level of TOS violations. I am not saying the OP is not being candid, but some people have been known not to tell the whole story here in the forums.

Then too, LL looks at an entire situation (they can look at all kinds of logs to see) and if the person reporting the abuse has contributed to the situation by inappropriate actions or speech or perhaps did something to start it, LL may do nothing or discipline them both, depending on the severity.

LL will take action though if the harassment breaks the TOS.  It might mean a suspension only though of anywhere from a few hours to weeks, the person reporting isn't told.  So it's important that EACH incident be reported in case the harasser repeats their behavior after being disciplined. 

Dresden wrote:

JT Castanea wrote:

...Dres

I do not know anything for sure but I assume if the complainer has not blocked and muted etc., LL is going to assume they are not very serious. 

This is a FAKE account using my photos and very disparaging remarks in the profile.  It's CLEARLY fake.  

slsaknucklehead

I HAVE REPORTED THIS FAKE ACCOUNT FOR WEEKS AND LL WILL NOT REMOVE IT!!!!

And DRES....I'd like to see you get over it...when every other month some jerk is creating an account using your name and photos.

Thanks...

JT Castanea wrote:

This is a FAKE account using my photos and very disparaging remarks in the profile.  It's CLEARLY fake.  

slsaknucklehead

I HAVE REPORTED THIS FAKE ACCOUNT FOR WEEKS AND LL WILL NOT REMOVE IT!!!!

And DRES....I'd like to see you get over it...when every other month some jerk is creating an account using your name and photos.

Thanks...

How did they get real life photos of your children?

The photos are those that were on my profile...and not photos of my kids RL...I would not post that.

I've reported this fake account every day for two weeks.  It's clearly a fake account meant only to harass me.  LL has done nothing.

Examples of what is on this fake profile...

" I am a bogan dad from huntington beach
They call me JTWanker
my personality sucks ass and so does my surfing style"

Picks = "A kool place to surf with my **bleep**nuckle wankers"

1st Life = Photo from Silence of the Lambs and

"RL photo. Im a dill from huntington beach calif.
This is me getting ready for my sons gay show hehe! "

I know who is doing this...and I can't really prove it...but the account SHOULD BE REMOVED!!!!

File a DMCA -- you own the copyright on those pictures and he has no right to use them without your permission.

But really, your reaction seems very middle schoolish to me. Why would you ever think LL would delete an account just on your say so, with as you say, no proof?  I would just stop looking at that profile. Think of the satisfaction this person gets aggravating you this much, why do you give it to him?  (That is a rhetorical question, I know the answer.)

How did I miss this before?

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Dresden wrote:

JT Castanea wrote:

...Dres

Maybe I'm missing something here, Dres, but it seems to me that -- assuming that the OP is accurately reporting what is happening -- this is a pretty legitimate complaint. He is describing violations of the Community Standards which, in some contexts might, I suppose, come under the heading of "being bothered online," but that in SL are, in fact, violations of the platform's own rules of conduct.

The point that he is, I think, making is precisely that
he's tried using "the tools already given" to him to deal with it, and that they aren't working.

In which case, he should take the other part of my advice and get over it.  As Pam just suggested, he needs to stop looking at that person's profile and fretting over it.  What that person is doing is juvenile and stupid (plus a few other things), but the only thing that makes it at all effective is the OP's reaction it.

I once had someone create an account, using something close to my name, and start posting really crazy things on the profile feeds suggesting that I was a drunk... clearly, this was meant to mock me.  But instead of getting all bent out of shape and screaming bloody murder, I simply laughed, followed them and replied to their comments in a jovial manner.  I even sent them an IM inworld thanking them for their hilarious parody of me and encouraged them to please continue doing so.  They never posted another thing with that account, making the whole episode a rather pleasant memory instead of an ongoing issue.

The point is that if you take yourself too seriously, a-holes like that will zero in on you as someone they'll get a kick out of bothering.  All that really needs to be done is to stop taking yourself so seriously... then it won't bother you and won't provide that sort of person with the dramatainment they so badly desire.

The question really isn't whether or not that person is actually violating the ToS/Community Standards, but what will actually be effective in getting that person to stop.  Obviously, filing abuse reports hasn't worked very well... so, what else is there for the OP to do but get over it and stop giving this person reason to continue?

...Dres

JamieThunder wrote:

could someone please post examples of: Vaguely clear, Somewhat hazy, a Bit blurry, forms of harrassment? 

"Clear Harassment" is when a person is a hopeless judge of character but prone to ego stroking, whose past mistakes when selecting e-friends are now coming back to haunt them.

"Somewhat Hazy" is when the same person has made the above error, but they are now attempting to rewrite history somewhat in a LL abuse report. This will teach a lesson to that person I want to get even with!

"A Bit Blurry" is when the person now realizes that their histrionic whining has so far fallen on deaf ears, and so was not an effective tool in striking down The Enemy. Desperate for any form of revenge at this point, they post rambling stories to all manner of forums in a deperate attempt to rally either support or sympathy. Truth is entirely optional at this point.

"Clarity" is a privilege reserved for the owners of the game who can see both sides of these pathetic squabbles between losers. As a result it's invariably referred to as "Inaction" by the aggrieved party.

Soup, walk a mile in another's shoes.  This crap has been going on for years by this creepy obsessed freak whom I've muted for years.  I'm sick of it.  I am not creating accounts to harass this person and he does it pervasivly to harass.  

I don't want fecking sympathy, I want the account deleted as it should be due to it's content.

Why are you giving your family personal info, it is no ones bisiness. LL do not need it unless you gave access to your account or you volentered that info to a stranger. You do have a responsability, so i fail to undersand why any one would blab all to strangers. I am frankly at a loss to this, you go to a stranger and tell all?

ADDED, I honestly think this is bull and an attention seeking post. I have been in SL long time and seen this garbage to often, if as you say, i would be hitting the boys in blue night and day.

ADDED, I tell you a story, few years back a USA (girl) claimed she was being stalked by a SL guy and was going to kill her self,, i  told her to go to the police, she got back and said she had reported it, i asked what town, she told me. I called from UK, the officer said, "no one has made any complaint" that officer called me a week later and said "no complaint was ever filled".

JT Castanea wrote:

The photos are those that were on my profile...and not photos of my kids RL...I would not post that.

I've reported this fake account every day for two weeks.  It's clearly a fake account meant only to harass me.  LL has done nothing.

I genuinely don't understand. How is this other account any more "fake" than yours? or mine? or anyone else's?

Also, yeah, this harassment may be offensive but remember, you started out the thread talking about disparaging "my children online" and giving "rl information" and it now develops that it's disparagement of your online children, not your (RL) children disparaged online.

It seems, then, merely that you don't approve of how this "harassing" account role-plays some verbal abuse of your role-played children.

I'm betting you're now preparing to post how much umbrage you can role-play about how forums folks aren't properly appreciative of your sad lot.

If we then role-play how much we don't care, we will have derived a recursive definition of "daft".

• 2 weeks later...

I am not seeking attention, I am seeking advice.

My RL information was casual as to where I surf and where I am from.  The fact that I am a parent came up in casual converstaion with someone whom I thought was a "peer" and a "friend" I had known in SL for quite sometime.  Duly noted, however is that I don't trust anyone in SL and give NO personal information at all to anyone anymore due to someone with no life who has decided to obsess and be childish for years over some dumb crap.

ADDED:  You opinion that my post is bull and attention seeking is your incorrect opinion based on no real information.

Thanks for your "bull" response.

Put it this way, my family, my children all of which i would never put in danger by giving out personal info. OK, maybe you messed up, we all do. Write to LL direct, with all the info, get a solicitor to stamp it, cost you US$50. LL have no choice but action it. If they did not you can sue them.But as you gave that info freely, i really doubt LL  would do anything.

ADDED, if you really want a solution, close all accounts and start fresh.

JT Castanea wrote:

I am not seeking attention, I am seeking advice.

My RL information was casual as to where I surf and where I am from.  The fact that I am a parent came up in casual converstaion with someone whom I thought was a "peer" and a "friend" I had known in SL for quite sometime.  Duly noted, however is that I don't trust anyone in SL and give NO personal information at all to anyone anymore due to someone with no life who has decided to obsess and be childish for years over some dumb crap.

ADDED:  You opinion that my post is bull and attention seeking is your incorrect opinion based on no real information.

Thanks for your "bull" response.

JT,

I DJ Daily and I publicly let the SL World know I'm from Huntington Beach, California and when I speak of real world experiences i always cite my real life and friends on an anecdotal basis. [it takes too much work to make up a RL to lie about here in SL]

As long as you don't give out identifying information like all the names of your children & friends and the date of your RL birthday, when you graduated from your 3 educational institutions, what restaurant table you always book, blah, blah, blah no one is going to connect the dots and discover your Real Life Secret Identity. Nor are they going to harm you in RL.

Just be safe!

KM

P.S. Huntington Beach, California -  Population: 197,575 (2013) < - Yes I'm one of them!!!!!

P.S.S. In sharing my RL experiences anecdotally, I've found plenty of opportunities ti laud the accomplishments of and disparage my own children as a mother has a right to do!  Kids can be so dumb at times. But we love then none the less :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.