Classic vs Mesh

Janita39

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this is the right place to post it,, and maybe people allready started a post about this, but I couldn't find it. 

This is my second ava. No problem there, I paid a lot for my first, now I think I look great with only freebies and stuff I got from friends. But I like to look at other ava's, see if they have something I  like and want to. 

Maybe it is me, but since Mesh took over on SL, I feel left out. I got freebies enough, no problem there, but it is just so hard to look good like I think I do now. Is it me, or does everyone look the swame since the Mesh took over? Can Mesh people see me ok? Will I have to start all over again with my ava?  And am I the only one who thinks all the Mesh-ava's look the same ?

If anyone has answers to this, please share them, can't think I am the only one thinking about this.

Sorry my English isn't that good

Hello, i am still using the system avatar because it worked great for over 7 years.

Because there are only a handful (2 ?) different famous mesh bodies, and lots of people just use them out of the box, this might explain why they look the same.

I don´t like the hazzle with extra hands, feets, boobs, bums and the applier system for clothes. People even wear mesh underwear ! 

Looking at the new bones, wings, face, single fingers - that´s still beta but in the long term run, mesh avatar will be the one to use.

Monti

You don't have to look the same as everyone else with the brand of mesh body you select.  As Monti said, a lot of people just use them as they come but you can customize them too.

They do respond to shape sliders and you can even wear your own shape with them.  I do and can still wear most of the mesh clothing I bought before this body.

You don't have to use a mesh head and retain your unique and individual face.

You can buy a skin to use with them instead of just using the ones that come with them.  Just be sure the skin you select comes with appliers that are compatible with the body you select.

I liked the overall look of my avatar before buying a mesh body.  The only reason I did is to smooth out those rough areas on the legacy body that distort weirdly when you use certain animations .  With a bit of effort customizing the body I bought, I still am recognizable as me still, just better.

I highly recommend two things.  Don't buy a body that requires mesh clothes made especially for it as your selection will be limited. Choose one that has a lot of appliers available for it too.   Second, DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO several bodies before you decide which is right for you.

Janita39 wrote:

Not sure if this is the right place to post it,, and maybe people allready started a post about this, but I couldn't find it. 

This is my second ava. No problem there, I paid a lot for my first, now I think I look great with only freebies and stuff I got from friends. But I like to look at other ava's, see if they have something I  like and want to. 

Maybe it is me, but since Mesh took over on SL, I feel left out. I got freebies enough, no problem there, but it is just so hard to look good like I think I do now. Is it me, or does everyone look the swame since the Mesh took over? Can Mesh people see me ok? Will I have to start all over again with my ava?  And am I the only one who thinks all the Mesh-ava's look the same ?

If anyone has answers to this, please share them, can't think I am the only one thinking about this.

Sorry my English isn't that good

The people who look the same now that mesh has taken over would have all looked like each other a few years ago as well, only they'd have been wearing tan LAQ skins with a lot of eyeliner. (The "bold, independent" ones would have been wearing Curio.) The people who are into fashion are generally into... well... fashion, which for most "fashionable" people is something to be followed.

People look the same because they follow what blogs show them. And if a certain look is popular on many fashion blogs, people start to look alike. When those ponyrider shapes were "the thing" all those ponyrider girls and their boyfriends started to blurr into one big identical mass.

But thats nothing new. I remember in my early noob days, that there were already female avatars that looked like sisters...and mesh wasn't even a thing yet.

Janita39, you asked, “Can Mesh people see me ok?”, and yes they can. But if you go someplace and see people that just aren't there, those are most likely mesh avatars. They can see you better than you can see them. (if you have the classic avi)
For me, I will not go mesh, at least not for a long time, I just don't have the money for it, or the patients for all the appliers and additional parts and doohickeys that I just don't need or have the talent to deal with. And the worst part is the mesh hair, looks like you've been ridden hard and put away wet the way the hair sticks to you. My short flex hair is by far better looking, to me anyhow.

First, there are a lot more than 2 body makers...you have Slink (physique and hourglass). Maitreya, Belleza, GInc, Eve, Fusion, the body formerly known as Banned, Lena(perky and lush though there are problems with the alphas), ebody, Immortals, just to name a few. There's a whole list of them on the LoveNLust website as well as meshbodyaddicts blog.

They are all fit mesh so respond to the sliders. I like them because of the smoother edges. 

But demo, demo, demo...the breast and tush looks are different on all of them as are the thighs. Find the one you like.

Hi Janita:

I loved my avi before mesh. It was beautiful, it looked great, attracted many.  People in mesh had issues, fitting, alphas, body parts, and so on. I was in no hurry to "upgrade."

That, and the notion I will no longer be able to wear my old clothes due to it not being mesh body compatible for the most part.

A friend who wore Maitreya asked me to try it, I did my research on the Net on the pros and cons of Maitreya versus the others.  Considered demoing the Maitreya and it was very easy to use, I didnt have any issues with fitting, alphas and body parts. Oh but the horror of no longer wearing my pre-mesh body clothing.

Big decision had to be made. I chose to go Maiteya after trying TMP and Slink. Used my old shape, had to re-buy skin too becasue my original skin didn't do mesh body. Discarded my old skin, my old clothes and stuff...that was slightly painful LOL.

Been with Maitreya for almost a year now. Recently purchased a mesh head after one or two months of consideration as well. I love the curve, the smoothness and skin contrast over the body....like looking at a fine painting versus a crayon coloring.

All AVIs will look the same as the ad, but thatis why we have sliders to customize our AVIs to look unique according to our taste and preference. Personally I tweak and alter my AVI slightly here and there every so often.

You got big decisions to make to go mesh or not.  It is your lindens, your choice, not ours to make ti for you.

Go with what you feel is right, nothing wrong with waiting either.

i have a mesh body,use Slink hands and feet (as i brought these before the mesh bodies came out) but the one thing i wont be investing in is a mesh head.

ive tried several demos but i feel they look the same and you dont have the freedom to alter facial features like you do on system heads ,maybe this will change in time i mean its sl things are constantly changing! but i feel theyve taken the inviduality away from sl aviatrs and are over priced.

i tend to have a more curvier shape with my mesh body so i dont look like the ive just brought it and put it on straight out the box.the mesh bodies have there good points and bad points it can be a struggle getting some mesh items to fit properly unless its fit mesh and it can be a pain with all the appliers etc

but you do see a big difference in the mesh bodies compared to the system body especially around areas like the breasts and legs where on the normal body if you add to much leg muscle etc it looks awful and i would never go back to a system body now :)

Honestly, having tried the Maitreya and Slink bodies on two different avatars, I've come to the realization that the mesh body isn't that necessary. Most of the time, you'll be wearing mesh clothes and mesh clothes look the same whether you have a mesh body or not. The only parts of the mesh body that show often when you wear clothes are the hands, feet, and sometimes the forearms and legs below the knees. Mesh hands and feet do definitely improve your look because system hands and feet are terrible. But the mesh arms and legs aren't noticeably different from the system parts. The Maitreya and Slink also use the system head so you still look the same above the neck.

So to summarize, with a system body you can still wear the same mesh clothes as everyone else and look almost exactly the same as most people w/ a mesh body. The only catch is that you do want mesh hands and feet. If you are a model, need to show a lot of skin, or have some body type where the system shape gets very angular, then certainly consider the mesh bodies.

For the most part, I agree with Bree.

Mesh bodies look best when they're naked or wearing tight applier layer clothing such as bikinis, tank tops, and lingerie. If you wear mesh clothes, most of the body will be hidden under it, so your shape won't matter much. It's also more difficult to put skins, tattoos and clothes on a mesh body. It's more scripts to lag you, and others may see you as floating body parts while your mesh body is rezzing for them.

I love my Maitreya Lara body, but I don't wear it all the time. It's great when you want to look really sexy, but if you just want to have fun exploring, chatting with friends, or fighting, it's not a necessary expense.

You get nicer feet, hands, bottom & breasts with a mesh body, but how important is this for you?

Persephone Emerald wrote:

I love my Maitreya Lara body, but I don't wear it all the time.

I second that!

This may come as a shock to many people here: MESH BODIES ARE REMOVABLE!

The mesh body is not your avatar, it's just an extra-fancy piece of clothing. You can wear when you want to and just take off when you want to or need to. It's amazing how many people haven't realized this.

Persephone Emerald wrote:

You get nicer feet, hands, bottom & breasts with a mesh body, but how important is this for you?

Ummm, actually since you mention... hands.

There is simply no way you can get anything resembling good looking hands on a classic avatar. LL got the proprotions wrong there right from the start and they never got around to fix the mistake.

Same with feet really, although they can be covered with shoes of course.

But in any case, you can use mesh hands and mesh feet with a classic avatar - no need for a complete mesh body to fix those blemishes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.