I Don't Know Why I was Banned from a Region

RoyMc3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.  If not, please let me know.  I'm brand new to Second Life, and was exploring yesterday.  I saw a live concert event (cool), so I stopped by.  I would be happy to apologize for whatever I did, but I don't know.  I was suddently banned.  Maybe I accidently bumped into the wrong person.  Am I banned forever from this island concert venue?  Was I supposed to pay something?  I would have been nice if whoever banned me would have said something, because I would have immediately apologized.  Do I contact Linden about this? Thanks!

First off, you could contact the owner of the land. It is not a LL's issue. They would tell you the same thing. Second, it depends on how old you are in sl and or rl. Some sims have age restrictions, meaning you have to be in sl a certain amount of time before it lets you on a certain sim. Contact the owner see what they say.

With few exceptions, all land in Second Life is privately owned.  Just like one is capable of locking the door on their real world home, SL landowners hold the ability to nearly completely control who has access to their locations.  Even if a location appears public, it's only so because the owner has figuratively left the front door unlocked. (^_^)

With that in mind, people maintaining any amount of open areas for events and crowds hold some responsibility to prevent and mitigate disruptions.  Each is left to their own to determine what is disruptive or potentially so.  Sadly 'newbie' accounts are often considered potentially disruptive.  Mostly because common griefers may create throw-away accounts to run spur of the moment attacks and raids which can be extremely disruptive.  As a result, some land owners go so far as to run scripts which automatically remove avatars below a certain age range. (._.)

They're paying for the privelige.  So, the Lab's stance is 'their land, their rules'... Even if they're jerks. (>_<)

Gladly, Second Life is HUGE.  There are over nine thousand places to visit for nearly any purpose.  From music and dancing to education and arts and even *cough*yeah...  Don't let any one location detract from your experience.  There's far more to see and do.  A good start is to check out volunteer help locations like The Shelter, New Citizens Inc., Builder's Brewery, and Caledon Oxbridge.  You can get advice, freebies, and support from each to help you on your way to really enjoying what SL has to offer. (^_^)y

First, nobody ever gets banned from a sim for a good reason. It is always a bad reason and it often hurts.

Second, chances are good that you did nothing. Some property owners close their parcels after and lock everybody out. It's ugly, but it's what they do.

Third, there are lots of other clubs that will welcome you.

And save the landmark for this place if you have it. Most clubs ultimately fail or change hands, and someone else will have that land some day, at which point you can come back.

Some land owners are too quick on the draw, they will just assume we are not grownups just because we are looking like an alien, I myself have had this experience while going to a simple event, they did not see my SL profile pic first or when i signed up, these people need more training they can simply right click us for more info

HarleyRainn wrote:

Some land owners are too quick on the draw, they will just assume we are not grownups just because we are looking like an alien, I myself have had this experience while going to a simple event, they did not see my SL profile pic first or when i signed up, these people need more training they can simply right click us for more info

How much did you pay to access the land that they pay for?  What entitlement do you feel you should have?

Just asking because remember that someone is paying for the land and if it's not you, then they can do whatever they like, quick, slow, or whatever on the draw.  They aren't obliged to look at anyones profile to determine if that person should have an entitled perspective on visiting.

More than likely the sim is always closed, since there was a concert going on it's possible that the sim owner opened it up for the event then closed it again; some sims are open to members only, but do open them on occassion for special events. It may not be a matter of something you did, but the fact that the sim is just closed to everyone that isn't in the land group & was just open at the time you were there for the event.

• 3 years later...

To the experienced members of Second Life, thanks for the feedback on this issue. It was hurtful the first time I was ejected from a Sim with a really nasty comment and it left me wondering what the heck I'd done. Most land owners are pretty good here and I have had little difficulty overall. It's not clear when joining Second Life that SIMs here are not necessarily public.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2018 at 10:02 PM, RachelWales said:

To the experienced members of Second Life, thanks for the feedback on this issue. It was hurtful the first time I was ejected from a Sim with a really nasty comment and it left me wondering what the heck I'd done. Most land owners are pretty good here and I have had little difficulty overall. It's not clear when joining Second Life that SIMs here are not necessarily public.

137.jpg?1517813031

• Like 1

On 9/4/2015 at 8:01 AM, RoyMc3 said:

Hi All,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.  If not, please let me know.  I'm brand new to Second Life, and was exploring yesterday.  I saw a live concert event (cool), so I stopped by.  I would be happy to apologize for whatever I did, but I don't know.  I was suddently banned.  Maybe I accidently bumped into the wrong person.  Am I banned forever from this island concert venue?  Was I supposed to pay something?  I would have been nice if whoever banned me would have said something, because I would have immediately apologized.  Do I contact Linden about this? Thanks!

Sometimes, unfortunately, sims have a age limit ban and you are not allowed to enter until you reach a specific age. (days in SL not rl age) Don't worry about it there are plenty of other venues that will welcome you and that that live concert event will be held at.

Edited by Tarina Sewell

5 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Sometimes, unfortunately, sims have a age limit ban and you are not allowed to enter until you reach a specific age. (days in SL not rl age) Don't worry about it there are plenty of other venues that will welcome you and that that live concert event will be held at.

I would hope after 3 years they figured it out...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Is there a way to find out all the places you are banned from?? I think I was banned from a store 11 years ago (they didn't have demos so when I bought something that didn't match the picture display, I asked if I could get a refund.. but got banned instead ☹️). Anyway, so I've only recently just come back to SL after 11 years and I guess I'm a little curious whether I am still banned or not ?

9 minutes ago, Hollie Leavitt said:

Is there a way to find out all the places you are banned from?? I think I was banned from a store 11 years ago (they didn't have demos so when I bought something that didn't match the picture display, I asked if I could get a refund.. but got banned instead ☹️). Anyway, so I've only recently just come back to SL after 11 years and I guess I'm a little curious whether I am still banned or not ?

After 11 years and so many changes, it's quite likely the store no longer exists.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.