All Your Stuffs Belongs To Whom ??????????????????

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

People put anything out there on the net and then are surprised when this happens or they are turned down for a job.

Just another reason not to use social media IMO

High Five!

But our millennials are so dependent on social media.  To them, I think, social media helps differentiate the real world from their parents over parenting.  I think most don't care if their posts/pics are ripped and re-posted all over the Internet - The self-entitlement manifest with the Kardashian's, the millennials role-model, are absolute proof of this phenomenon, imo.

All I'm feeling is schadenfreude and I dont' feel guilty about it. Social media is an incredibly new phenomena and everyone bought into the corporate sponsored idea that being social online is cool. Now, it's just one story after another of how people are getting burned by the lack of privacy and security. I think that eventually people will learn and modify their behavior online. But until then, we can all laugh at them.

It looks like Flickrs ToS allows its users to retain ownership of their images, which is good news for its huge SL community.

This is a great example of how, even if something is strictly legal, it doesn't make it right. Sounds like this bloke already has no respect within artistic circles for pulling stunts like this over the years. Happily, I'd never heard of him before this.

Sometimes, people present art that pushes the envelope, and ignites debate over "what is art, and what is creativity" etc, and this can help broaden our understanding. It's been happening since the dawn of ages, and it's rather fun. But this is just boring ol' lazy theft because opportunism.

It looks like Flickrs ToS allows its users to retain ownership of their images, which is good news for its huge SL community.

Same with Instagram. In fact, a misunderstanding about a change they wanted to make in those terms was a huge controversy, widely reported in the tech media a couple years ago. But the language looks very similar to Second Life's ToS, or indeed that of most internet services that host user-generated content.

And that may be the point of this thread. There's currently much volatility in court interpretations of copyright -- enough so content we all think is now protected by DMCA may be "transformed" into non-infringing look-alikes. Indeed, the Instagram photos would make a tidy precedent for other images -- including game textures. And then it would be a slippery slope to 3D models, etc., etc.

naked barbi.jpg

When I posted this I was thinking more about the copyright issues than the social issues.

And while it still sometimes amazes me the things people post to media, nothing surprises me anymore.

Maybe what we have now is the 'desensitised generation.'

Qie Niangao wrote:

Same with Instagram. In fact, a misunderstanding about a change they wanted to make in those terms was a huge controversy, widely reported in the tech media a couple years ago. But the language looks very similar to Second Life's ToS, or indeed that of most internet services that host user-generated content.

And that may be the point of this thread. There's currently much volatility in court interpretations of copyright -- enough so content we all
think
is now protected by DMCA may be "transformed" into non-infringing look-alikes. Indeed, the Instagram photos would make a tidy precedent for other images -- including game textures. And then it would be a slippery slope to 3D models, etc., etc.

Those were the issues I was thinking about.

After reading the article I had wondered if some things in Copyright Law needed tightening.  But that is scary too.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Maybe what we have now is the 'desensitised generation.'

This is probably the only insightful thing projected onto "millenials" in this whole thread. New is difficult, we understand and don't really mind. It's taken too damn long for people to figure out that most of the stuff older people worry incessantly about matters very little to the emerging/emerged generation.

Yes - you'll notice most of the images in your post were taken intentionally for outside audiences, they're not "private photos" taken by idiots who don't know where they're sending their data. They're misused IP from content creators - much like the type we see in SL.

Doesn't worry me; I 'shop images of myself before they get posted to the 'net.

And you are an idiot if you think your country's copyright law extends to any other legislation.

Especially in terms of enforceability.

Had to chuckle at 'the emerging/emerged generation'. Very insectoid they are, you are so right.

Not only are they clueless about how 'stuff' works they wouldn't even know how to change the batteries =^^=

Wheres my Citizen Wolfie Smith coat

Well, that could go back and forth now, no? Maybe someone would want a string of Prince prints on their wall, tracking the progress of the conversation? Sometimes there is no drawback to questionable behavior. And if suicidegirls makes some money for charity, might Prince claim he's benefitted society?

It'll be turnabout when the profits turnabout?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.