Is anybody else finding it impossible to meet friends or find places where people socialize?

Jandid Harcourt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been playing this game for years now and to be honest it's really hard to have a good time anymore. Besides for doing random adventures with just me and the girl, we go from SIM to SIM looking for anybody to talk to or anything, we have tried the make friends forum and just...nothing. Even tried going to clubs but all they seem to be is music and gestures with not much talking. Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions? Seems like all we have left to do is hang out by ourselves, shop for new stuff for our SIM, and than just tp from high traffic SIM to high traffic SIM just to find everywhere to be a ghost town than just log off after all failed attempts. I love this game and have loved it for years but lately I can't find any reason to log on anymore. Old friends are all gone and it just doesn't seem like this game has much to do or anyplace to go :(. Sorry if this is the wrong forum or if I misspelled I'm currently on my phone

live music events where is not folk singers getting meaningful (:

is whole bunches of people who go to live events where they chat your head off. Is trucks of gestures as well but you just filter that out

is whoever on the stage that sets the tone. if the performer chats to people on the stream then it will go off. The party. Two performers who are really good at cranking it up chat-wise are Rico Dee and Down Under. When they sing they will quite often change the lyrics to say people in the crowd

also if want to hang with a fun crowd then get in with the Flash Dancers. Flash Dancers have own beach club but they spend most their time flash mobbing events. Share dance HUD and that. Party up. Is some really fun people in that group. From all over the world in all time zones

The problem is: IM me if you want to chat. And: I don't spend attention to open chat. The worst, it takes sometimes 20 or more minutes to get an answer from those people, because they chat to 20 or more people like this. They don't even know the next day to whom they spoke at all. Silly if they ask for help and just reply every so minutes and if you stop to answer they don't wonder at all. I run a little place with a good friend and when the people are on, we meet pretty often around our fireplaces or any other spot and chat, they also bring their friends and those theirs quite often. So its pretty fun. We use voice chat and text chat and care about those who don't want or can't speak. And yes, sailing, surfing and other stuff in SL is also a good way to spend time and chat.

irihapeti wrote:

live music events where is not folk singers getting meaningful (:

is whole bunches of people who go to live events where they chat your head off. Is trucks of gestures as well but you just filter that out

is whoever on the stage that sets the tone. if the performer chats to people on the stream then it will go off. The party. Two performers who are really good at cranking it up chat-wise are Rico Dee and Down Under. When they sing they will quite often change the lyrics to say people in the crowd

also if want to hang with a fun crowd then get in with the Flash Dancers. Flash Dancers have own beach club but they spend most their time flash mobbing events. Share dance HUD and that. Party up. Is some really fun people in that group. From all over the world in all time zones

Well, i was curious about Flash Dancers. Could not join the group as it is private. I saw a pick in the profile of the founder of the group. Tp-ed to Flash Dance beach and was TP-ed home within 5 seconds by a security orb...

Ina Fairport wrote:

Well, i was curious about Flash Dancers. Could not join the group as it is private. I saw a pick in the profile of the founder of the group. Tp-ed to Flash Dance beach and was TP-ed home within 5 seconds by a security orb...

yes the group is by invite. Is good reason for that. Is the same for other groups like this

when a social group is open join then what you get is random people on throwaways joining and then running round the grid greifing and trolling wearing a Flash Dancers (or any other social groups) tag on their head. Is more trouble this than its worth. So invite

the FD parcel (same again as lots other social group land) is open when is a event on there. No event then group only bc is not a commercial operation. Is home for them group members what pay the tiers. Again is group only when is no event for all the same reasons above. Social groups not much interested in being the police

+

to join a group that is social then you have to be social yourself. Like if see a flashmob then just look for the people with officer roles. And chat to them. Easy way is to ask them if can go on whichever HUD they using. They will say yes if is room

if you fun person then some will friend you. Like people do. After that then you being a friend then you become part of that group of friends

is same as how social groups work in RL this

at some time when turns out you not a drama llama then get a invite to a tag over your head. But you dont have to have a tag over your head to join in. When is spare room on the Flash Dancers HUD then they let anyone on

+

ps. I just add

how can you know when can go to the Flash Dancers place. They put a addy in the Events on search. So go at the advertised time

and yes bc is a event then all tips appreciated if you got any

rather than clubs maybe look into pubs.

Just a thought that i never thought about until just now..

might work since those are more for socializing than clubs i would imagine..

Would be cool to walk into like an old irish pub and see it packed and everyone  having a good old time:smileyhappy:

I usually jump from place to place on my own, hoping to find people who just want to chit chat and have only so far found one club and that is Toby's. Depending on the crowd and the hosts I've had some great evenings chatting away to everyone in there - but again, it can be a bit hit and miss but I've found mostly hit. Might be worth a try. Its a smallish club, which I think makes it better. 

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

I have been playing this game for years now and to be honest it's really hard to have a good time anymore. Besides for doing random adventures with just me and the girl, we go from SIM to SIM looking for anybody to talk to or anything, we have tried the make friends forum and just...nothing. Even tried going to clubs but all they seem to be is music and gestures with not much talking. Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions? Seems like all we have left to do is hang out by ourselves, shop for new stuff for our SIM, and than just tp from high traffic SIM to high traffic SIM just to find everywhere to be a ghost town than just log off after all failed attempts. I love this game and have loved it for years but lately I can't find any reason to log on anymore. Old friends are all gone and it just doesn't seem like this game has much to do or anyplace to go
:(
. Sorry if this is the wrong forum or if I misspelled I'm currently on my phone

Go back and read your forum post history. Now ask yourself, "If I met someone who talked like this, would I want to hang out with them?"

I think clubs are hard. There really isn't anything at clubs that ties people together. I think it is about finding the right hangout for the things you love. If there isn't one, start one. It really is about finding like minded folks. I always watch local, and always say hello when I land somewhere new. I agree no one talks back.

Try being a mer for a day. I go to Fanci's Deep in the Blake Sea, and there are free costumes there with AOs, and also a dance HUD. I find mers very friendly, helpful, and outright silly fun. Be sure to greet everyone you see.

Another suggestion is to find a sim you might like to rp or socialize on and join the group, so you will hear about new things going on there. Join several and eventually narrow it down. A lot of sims are empty until there is an event. You will be going to dances and other events, but seeing the same people there. Try getting involved the conversation. 

I was lonely my first six weeks or so, and then started meeting lots of interesting, creative people all over. Just keep searching for what you enjoy and soon you will meet like-minded people.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

I have been playing this game for years now and to be honest it's really hard to have a good time anymore. Besides for doing random adventures with just me and the girl, we go from SIM to SIM looking for anybody to talk to or anything, we have tried the make friends forum and just...nothing. Even tried going to clubs but all they seem to be is music and gestures with not much talking. Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions? Seems like all we have left to do is hang out by ourselves, shop for new stuff for our SIM, and than just tp from high traffic SIM to high traffic SIM just to find everywhere to be a ghost town than just log off after all failed attempts. I love this game and have loved it for years but lately I can't find any reason to log on anymore. Old friends are all gone and it just doesn't seem like this game has much to do or anyplace to go

Go back and read your forum post history. Now ask yourself, "If I met someone who talked like this, would I want to hang out with them?"

I asked for advice, not for you to be a douche. Thanks for the responses everybody.

Hey guys - The Wife here :D 

We've been trying everything, we've met a few people which is awesome, but we're still not in any grounds to spend time with others and it's rough if nothing is happening, we're just standing there, and he does try and go through destination guide, we check everywhere randomly, we actually found our current home (on the blake sea, yay!!!) through randomly jumping around the map and hitting up populated spots, mind you ours wasn't populated was just a big ole chunk of yellow dollar signs.   But we made it a stop on our map tour!  The suggestions you guys have posted were lovely, I think we may try and check out some pubs, clubs can be great to relax and listen to music, I have alwyas loved ambrosia, but it's so populated, and hard to talk to anyone unless you're there with a friend already and get thrust into that group.   It's so difficult, I remember in 2007 where everyone was eager to be other peoples friends, it was so easy to meet new people, talk to them, and continue friendships, but time does change things.

As for Jandid's past posts, that'd be a silly thing to judge someone based on :) as I know first hand that he is one of the most kind hearted, warm, caring people, that goes above and beyond not just for 'family' but for people he is close to.   Other people vent on the forums, nobody should be judged based on that :D I actually met him and fell in love with him through a post he made on the forums in 2012, lol, if that's what dictates you on making an amazing friend that is always there, i fear you might be missing out on some potentially incredible people to talk to.   

we'll keep trying, i'd love to log on more, we'd love to establish a group of friends we can game with... loooove board games in sl, we have a little platform with more prim dedicated to games than i'd like to admit LOL, and we never get to use it :( 

Meldina Ashbourne wrote:

loooove board games in sl, we have a little platform with more prim dedicated to games than i'd like to admit LOL, and we never get to use it

Why not start running some casual board game events, advertising in the events calendar, and bring like-minded people to your place?

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

I asked for advice, not for you to be a douche. Thanks for the responses everybody.

And thank you for proving my point.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

And thank you for proving my point.

im not getting involved in any stupid SL forum drama with you, i just asked for advice not for you to judge me based on a forum where everybody posts an opinion :). BTW good idea with that event calander I never even thought of that! I will have to talk to her about it and see what a good time would be

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Meldina Ashbourne wrote:

loooove board games in sl, we have a little platform with more prim dedicated to games than i'd like to admit LOL, and we never get to use it

Why not start running some casual board game events, advertising in the events calendar, and bring like-minded people to your place?

^^ that

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

You sure are not overly friendly, or offer any real advice. Perhaps if they met someone who talked like themselves they would be best buds.

The calendar is a neat idea, I never thought of that, Jandid just mentioned it to me, my only fear would be is that some people (not all people) are down right nasty and disrespectful, and putting it out to the public, you never know who, or what kind of people may show up as you haven't had the chance to talk and get to know them beforehand, though i would love to host parties and stuff like that, but mainly for friends which unfortunately plops us right back to the beginning creating a viscious circle of seclusion lmao.   

as others in the convo are leading to

make your own fun. When you do this then others interested will want to join

everything starts with one or two people who want to share what they have or what they are doing. the forum cartel, flash dancers, hippestock, etc. All started with one or two people who started doing something for fun and enjoyment

it dont have to be regular 24/7. Can just pick a time that is suitable for you. And turn up at the time specified. Like put a addy in Events. and be there. When people do turn up by invitation and you are actual there and you do engage with them. then they will come back

when the purpose is social then they will come back even more. Starting a group then becomes viable

the worst thing is when addy a time and place and nobody comes. But you said you would be there. So thats what you do. Be there. So that if a person do eventual turn up then is good for them

oh trust me, we definitely do! as most of what we do find and do end up doing are generally on our own, we'll explore new places, occasionally check out clubs, go sailing (looooove sailing) or go shopping, and even root through the destination guide, i'm personally excited for halloweens arrival (WOOT HALLOWEEN EVENTS, WOOT HAUNTED HOUSES!), but there are times we'd love to have people around us too, sure we can have fun on our own, but this game is so geared to be social, and sharing it with people makes it even more special than ever, meeting new people that in reality you wouldn't get the opportuity to meet.    We'd love people to share the things we normally do by ourselves, not all the time, just sometime, I think we'll end up giving the calender event a chance :D You guys are so helpful, Thank you for all the ideas ^^ 

Meldina Ashbourne wrote:

my only fear would be is that some people (not all people) are down right nasty and disrespectful, and putting it out to the public, you never know who, or what kind of people may show up as you haven't had the chance to talk and get to know them beforehand

The nice thing about hosting an event on your own sim, you have total control who stays or leaves.  You may get some trouble makers, but that is just SL.  Freeze, Ban, Mute the dolts, and chat up those who stick around after the event, they will do so because they find something they like about the place.  Get a handful of people, regular events, form a group.  It could work.

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Have you tried sandboxes? There you can meet some active players which you don't need to worry about them taking up your friend list space because they hardly log on.

Why not help out newbies? Maybe go to one of the helping areas to try to ease a newcomer into SL and get them as interested (or more) as you are. You'll be doing a good deed and meeting new people at the same time!

If you have the time, you can try a part time job. You can go to your job and see the same people every couple days or so while eventually getting to know them. Plus, a few lindens on the side doesn't hurt. Just try to do something you enjoy rather than just focusing on money.

Also, if people don't seem to be chatty at a crowded event, chances are they're IMing each other. I mean, if everyone were to start chatting at the same time, the chat log and screen would be a mess of text.

Hopefully this helps!

• 2 months later...

You can IM peeetebraveheart and he will gladly include you in the Flashdancer group.  They are a bunch of wonderful people who love to dance and socialize.  Don't be shy, reach out...they'll accept you with open arms

LooseLucy - a proud member of flashdancers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.