Skin Fair 2014 - what did you like?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I just went to the Skin Fair 2014. I just found they kick you out if you have too many scripts. It was my shoes! I just went through three whole sims and it wasn't a horrible laggy experience like most fairs I've been to. Got lots of skins and a lot of different results between the poster ads and the demos as far as looks go. Shapes really make a difference!

What surprised me was that everything had tango/phatazz/slink appliers. There were also mesh heads and accessories for them. I'll try to put up a pic of what I've liked.

Here's a link:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Webhost/121/146/27

Yes, it is huge. I have not been there yet, but I know I will get more Loud Mouth appliers- that's a mesh part too! My current fav skin has released appliers for this to the fair.

I am not surprised that they have to make appliers. I am one who simply don't buy new skins unless they have Slink and Tango appliers as a minimum, and I have Phat Azz and Loud Mouth too. But I don't use those part nearly as much. Mesh body replacement parts has come to stay. Male skins has to offer appliers for feet and hands too. Not strange when you see what the default feet looks like. And when you fix the feet, you get more critical about the hands, and start to think you can replace them with nice hands in relaxed, cigarette hold, pointing and other gestures.

I am not sure that I will buy a new skin. But I will buy more makeups. If I buy a new skin, it will be one bare that I can apply makeups on.

Here is a collection on Pinterest with all vendors: http://www.pinterest.com/elysiumhynes/skin-fair/

I went last night, and got booted 3 times before I realized it was my shoes, as well! I was really impressed with some of the new skins, especially Tuli. I was unimpressed with all of the pi**#d off looking skins...lol!  There were also alot of really nice male skins. Anyway, I got a lot of demos, and am stuck between 3 different Tuli skins. They are beautiful, and work perfectly on my shape. I only got through one sim, I'm planning on going back today to try to get through the other two.

I have to admit I borrowed Marianne's link and now have a list, a very long list of shops I intend to traipse around when I have a pocket ful of Lindens and nothing else to spend it on. I also realised that I seem to have bought, since coming back into SL, 75% of make up packs sold in SL. I have to be patient for a couple of days then its up up and away shopping here I come ....

I used, on occasion, to go to the Hair Fair. It was an absolute nightmare, combining just about all of the things I most disliked about shopping in RL, with all of the things that sometimes drive me nuts about SL.

That's not at all intended as a criticism of those who do go and enjoy it! But I'd like to know what makes it worthwhile. Are there "deals"? Is it just the fact that it features a huge choice of merchandise in one place? Or that it is an "event"?

LaskyaClaren wrote:

I used, on occasion, to go to the Hair Fair. It was an absolute nightmare, combining just about all of the things I most disliked about shopping in RL, with all of the things that sometimes drive me nuts about SL.

That's not at all intended as a criticism of those who 
do
go and enjoy it! But I'd like to know what makes it worthwhile. Are there "deals"? Is it just the fact that it features a huge choice of merchandise in one place? Or that it is an "event"?

For me, it's just having so many choices in one place. I don't have to hop from store to store. My experience last night was rather good. There was no crowd, and thanks to their script limitations, it was lag free, (once I figured out that my shoes were getting me booted...lol)

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

do
go and enjoy it! But I'd like to know what makes it worthwhile. Are there "deals"? Is it just the fact that it features a huge choice of merchandise in one place? Or that it is an "event"?

For me, it's just having so many choices in one place. I don't have to hop from store to store. My experience last night was rather good. There was no crowd, and thanks to their script limitations, it was lag free, (once I figured out that my shoes were getting me booted...lol)

That makes sense. It's good to know that there are times when it's not too busy!

And I do remember one of my visits to the Hair Fair, with a friend, as one of the most hilarious times I've ever had in SL. The lag was so bad we couldn't do much else other than trade quips in IM. (Sometimes, I'm a little embarrassed to admit, about the fashion sense of the horde of people around us!)

I'm not sure if I am in the market for a skin, but maybe I'll drop by late tonight, if I can stay up long enough. :-)

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

do

Why do people continue to think that Scripts lag Sims? 

The lack of lag probably had more to do with "no crowd" than the script restrictions.

The main benefit of the script restriction (and yes there is one), is that the vendors would respond quicker because the scripts in them wouldn't be competing with scripts Ava's are wearing for the remaining available spare time in the Sim AFTER it calculates everything else.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

do

The lack of lag probably had more to do with "no crowd" than the script restrictions.

The main benefit of the script restriction (and yes there is one), is that the vendors would respond quicker because the scripts in them wouldn't be competing with scripts Ava's are wearing for the remaining available spare time in the Sim AFTER it calculates everything else.

That's very interesting, Perrie, thank you blah blah blah

But it has nothing to do with shopping.

;-)

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

do

;-)

I know, but it keeps getting repeated, especially in these kind of threads.  :)

Perrie Juran wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

do

;-)

I know, but it keeps getting repeated, especially in these kind of threads. 
:)

I hereby swear you'll never hear it again from me.

Now, why don't you make yourself REALLY useful, and tell us which skin maker you like best. (For women's skins, of course.)

:-)

I haven't been yet - but on the scripts end, I routinely check my script usage in about land when changing outfits just to check for any surprises.

At present my AKEYO AO is a tad weighty (1.2mb) - so I need to get out an old ZHAO and make a minimalist AO with like one stand, one walk, and one sit or something so I can go to these things. :)

AboutLand.png

(Image from my guide, so a bit detailed.)

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

do

;-)

I know, but it keeps getting repeated, especially in these kind of threads. 
:)

I hereby swear you'll never hear it again from me.

Now, why don't you make yourself REALLY useful, and tell us which skin maker you like best. (For women's skins, of course.)

:-)

Well, I'm not in the habit of asking women where they got their skin.  That would be to me akin to asking her age.  Plus most Earth Females are reluctant to get naked for me so it's not like I get to see alot.  :(

Also it has been a while since I'd been to a skin store.  But in the past when I was helping someone I will have to say I did really like the offerings at Beleize (sp?).

Men has some to pick from now. It's fun to use male alts these days... so much great mesh clothes. Last skin I bought was from Aeros, they have 2 new skins at the Fair. Well, they have more than 2, but the rest was out before the Fair. I must demo 4 male skins, 2 from Aeros, Kooqla and Clef de Peau.

What's so special about such events? For me, it's the exclusives. That's sold only at the event. I hate that. Because I read many bloggers and see stuff that I like, just to find out that it was sold at an event that's over. I thought I should try and figure out what's exclusive at this one. I wanted to go aargh when I found out that I missed a skin pack from Pink Fuel at the Futurewave event. Well, this may sound silly to you all. It is no shortage of new events and new stuff to buy, but this one hit me because new releases from Pink Fuel is rare. 

I just spent two hours at the fair again. Previously, I cherry picked certain types of skins that had nice ads but after trying on the demos I realized that things look really different on my shape compared to the models. Skins that I thought looked nice didn't turn out too good and a few skin demos I took as an afterthought turned out really nice.

So I just went back to get at least one demo from every store, even the ones with pouty faces, and I'll try them all.

Have noticed an uptick in the number of people offering chocolate / brown skin tones. Thus far what I've seen is still too light for me, but they do appear to give people on medium brown tones more options. Might pick one up for my human alt (even though I log into her about once a year). Only took 10 years to get some of these skin makers to listen, but at least they are... o.O

I noticed the same thing. I remember back in the day when you very rarely saw dark skins of any type. I have a good friend who was looking for a good black skin, she had to settle for a deep tan...used to call herself my racially ambiguous twin...lol! 

So much talk about scripts. Some time ago when there was talk of limiting scripts like prims are limited, I get this script, almost cut and paste from LSL web page. I put it in my bangles and with just a click it tells script count and memory used. And it is how I know that when I got banned from a venue for running over 1000 scripts that the venue owner was wrong, but I still got banned.

default{state_entry()

{llSetText("", <.0,.0,1.0>, 1);} // you can set text by putting it between the "" after SetText

touch_start(integer total_number){

list details = llGetObjectDetails(llDetectedKey(0), ([OBJECT_SCRIPT_MEMORY]));

list scrptot = llGetObjectDetails(llDetectedKey(0), ([OBJECT_TOTAL_SCRIPT_COUNT]));

integer memory_used = llList2Integer(details,0) /1024;

integer script_used = llList2Integer(scrptot,0);

llSay(0, llDetectedName(0)+ " is using " + (string)memory_used + " KB of script memory and " + (string)script_used + " scripts running");

}

}

Perrie Juran wrote:

Well, I'm not in the habit of asking women where they got their skin.  That would be to me akin to asking her age.  

Actually, this is true, in a way.

The two most "personal" things that define my avi, and the things I change least, are my shape and skin (although I do tinker with the shape a fair bit). They are really important parts of my identity for some reason, which is why I suppose I'm personally less interested in the Skin Fair than I am in the Hair Fair.

But I'm going to check it out anyway -- I quite like my current skin (which wasn't cheap either), but maybe I'll fall in love with another? And trying out demos is always fun anyway. :-)

Perrie Juran wrote:

Plus most Earth Females are reluctant to get naked for me so it's not like I get to see alot. 
:(

I thought Martians had ray guns that did that?

Marianne Little wrote:

Men has some to pick from now. It's fun to use male alts these days... so much great mesh clothes. Last skin I bought was from Aeros, they have 2 new skins at the Fair. Well, they have more than 2, but the rest was out before the Fair. I must demo 4 male skins, 2 from Aeros, Kooqla and Clef de Peau.

Thanks for the tip on where the male skins could be found -- saved me a lot of time and frustration.  Got all those demos, but jeepers: WTF is it with male skins this year, such that they must all be some paler or darker shade of fuschia?

I guess it's some improvement from past years, when every male skin used the identical muscle-bound torso shading.

Oh well. Saves me a couple thousand L$s, I suppose.

Check Elysium on sim 3, central ring, I think east side.

They have two male skins and two female skins. Their mainstore is similar - seems to cater well to both sexes. Tone they cover seem good to handle Caucasian, African, Asian, and sometimes even one that could fit for a Native American (at least one of their female skins has a distinct subtle reddishness to the tones).

While some skin makers use an identical body in a list of preset tones from pale to dark for their skins, and just change the face for each release - Elysium seems to instead take their master skin file and put it to a different base tone each time. So while they always have a light to dark skin range - one skin will seem to be based on a yellow, another on a brown, another on a red, and yet another on a grayish yellow, and so on. That works to give them a very wide set of possible ethnic ranges.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.