Face and/or body lighting

Jazleen Raynier

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been away for what feels like forever and am, before I start roaming, trying to update my girl. Before I disappeared I had what I think was called 'Windlight'. So, going through my inventory all I have left are cards and nothing that says anything about avatar lighting. Has this been removed from SL? If not, is there a light out there that works. I did manage to find one in the Marketplace just for the face, and despite it being free, it has done nothing to light any of Jaz up. If there is no manufactured light I can wear, is there somewhere I will find lighting instructions to put some light on her. Jaz is one of those avatars that looks better in the light, in the dark her face looks quite square and unnatural.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Jazleen Raynier wrote:

I've been away for what feels like forever and am, before I start roaming, trying to update my girl. Before I disappeared I had what I think was called 'Windlight'. So, going through my inventory all I have left are cards and nothing that says anything about avatar lighting. Has this been removed from SL? If not, is there a light out there that works. I did manage to find one in the Marketplace just for the face, and despite it being free, it has done nothing to light any of Jaz up. If there is no manufactured light I can wear, is there somewhere I will find lighting instructions to put some light on her. Jaz is one of those avatars that looks better in the light, in the dark her face looks quite square and unnatural.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Just to refresh your memory, "Windlight" is actually an internal lighting system that just sets the lighting for what you see. It's still around - the setting is called "Atmospheric Shaders" in your graphics preferences. It isn't something you wear, it's a series of settings you can establish to change how things look. However, it doesn't change what everyone else sees and changing Windlight settings in your viewer can mean you can miss out on the special effect lighting that sim owners can use because it overrides the "in world" settings. Most viewers have a lot of Windlight presets you can choose from, especially the FIrestorm viewer.

Windlight is a whole light and environment package which is now integrated into the Enviroment Editor (World > Environment Settings > Environment Editor). In it you can find many presets that'll give you the light and look you want, plus you can tinker with all the settings and create your own custom presets as well. Environment Editor

For most people it seems windlight is the answer, but there are some who simply must change how they appear to *other* residents as well... and for that the only choice is to use face/body light attachments. If you choose to change the local environment around you by wearing lights then please be aware that this also affects every other resident in the area. If the SIZE of the light is kept to within your personal space area, then most people don't seem to have any issue with them no matter how bright they are. However, if your light casts far away and onto other people and objects not really close to you, it's a sure way to get yourself blocked / muted / derendered...never to be seen again... and possibly insulted, called a noob, or asked to remove it or leave by the venue owners. Excessive personal lights are the bane of many people that hang in social places, so use with caution and moderation.

Wearing a FaceLight or using WindLight still is no guarantee of what others will see.  You have no control over their graphics settings or capabilities.

The problem with FaceLights is that they have the potential of washing out someone elses graphics while your individual WindLight does not.

If you are going to use one, I'd  recomend NLight Free.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Nlight-FREE-20-Adjustable-Beauty-Light/476952

Facelight, other people might not find yours as awesome as you think:

original_510076ecbcc1007f01000001.jpg

original_510078a2bcc100047d000001.jpg

If you don't want to be that person - make sure you get one you can edit, or make it yourself, and cut it back, tone it down.

The above is what others around you who have 'advanced lighting' / windlight on might end up seeing if you're not careful - and it can really annoy folks.

Thank you all for responding. I know what happens if I start messing with things - lost many a good item of clothing because I think I know what to do when modifying so anything pre-set here I leave alone. I didn't realise how much face and body lighting not only lit the avi but also anything within a 10 mile radius - blimey I must have been so annoying when I was here before, still as I haven't plucked the guts up yet to leave my little home I can only annoy myself. 

All face lights etc now firmly in the bin. 

1st I do when setting up a viewer is to switch off attached lights. That means you can plaster yourself with lights but I will not see that. So if someone is annoyed by that lighting it's partially their own fault. However, not my problem here. :D

With windlight you can make a lighting that you find perfect for you. But keep in mind that it is for your eyes only. Nobody else will see that.

There are locations where you can effectively kill any atmosphere with an individual windlight setting but of course you are free to switch between your own and the local setting everytime.

So - whatever you do - it has absolutely no effect how other avatars see you, you can only set up things for yourself.

Jazleen Raynier wrote:

All face lights etc now firmly in the bin. 

Only if you listen to the anti-facelight nazis.  It's prefectly acceptable to wear a soft, minimally invasive facelight.  The thing is, you need to understand the way people with Advanced Lighting see things.  If you don't have the ability to do that, then I suggest you not wear a facelight at all, but if you do, you'll be able to judge for yourself if your facelight is too much and adjust it accordingly.  But, by all means, never rely on someone that tells you that facelights have no place in SL.

...Dres

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Facelight, other people might not find yours as awesome as you think:

original_510076ecbcc1007f01000001.jpg

original_510078a2bcc100047d000001.jpg

If you don't want to be that person - make sure you get one you can edit, or make it yourself, and cut it back, tone it down.

The above is what others around you who have 'advanced lighting' / windlight on might end up seeing
if you're not careful
- and it can really annoy folks.

That's not a bad one, it only has a 10m or so range. Once we start getting into the 100m+ range and coloured, then we're talking (and yes, I've seen those, sometimes even flashing or changing colours like a disco ball).

jwenting wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

[stuffz]

That's not a bad one, it only has a 10m or so range. Once we start getting into the 100m+ range and coloured, then we're talking (and yes, I've seen those, sometimes even flashing or changing colours like a disco ball).

Ouch...

I got hit by one a bit larger than this one just the other day. On an alt, took too long to get off the landing platform of some place I'd gone to and apparantly a star from across the galaxy landed on my head. The she walked off and started clicking things in that broken arm way that suggests one needs to spend more on the AO, and less on the solar flares, and I noted that it was time to clear out.

Most of the time I have my atmospheric shaders turned off.  I don't like the way faces look when it's turned on.  I also wear a facelight that is very subtle because I don't want to intrude on anyones SL experience.  I've been wearing it for many years and no one has ever complained about it, so it must be subtle enough.  I got it free from Pulse. 

Even with this turned off, I can still appreciate the beauty of so many creations. 

Rick Dj.png

Dj Barracuda wrote:

Most of the time I have my atmospheric shaders turned off.  I don't like the way faces look when it's turned on.

Rick Dj.png

That sounds like you might just need help setting up good windlight settings. It took me several months of tweaking until I found my ideal, which I'm still tweaking.

There are plenty of free windlight settings to be downloaded and added to SL out there - starting with looking for Torley's settings.

WIth the right one faces will look a lot better than they do with it off. With the wrong one, all the bad angles of the SL Avatar get put into focus...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.