To wear a facelight or not?

Varquell Blaisdale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been reading that facelights actually annoy people lol But i find that if i dont wear a facelight, in some sims, my face looks very dark and there are aweful shadows across the cheeks etc. 

If i wasnt to wear a facelight and adjust settings, that would leave my character looking shadowy and dark to everyone else but myself, which is something i want to avoid.

Is there a subtle facelight out there that isnt too bright and is just enough to smooth out the face without it being so bright that it hides your features, or can i do anything else? :(

I've been reading that facelights actually annoy people lol But i find that if i dont wear a facelight, in some sims, my face looks very dark and there are aweful shadows across the cheeks etc. 

If i wasnt to wear a facelight and adjust settings, that would leave my character looking shadowy and dark to everyone else but myself, which is something i want to avoid.

Is there a subtle facelight out there that isnt too bright and is just enough to smooth out the face without it being so bright that it hides your features, or can i do anything else? :(

My personal opinion is no. Avatars don't need any facelights.

It is just natural that in varying environmental lighting conditions avatars look sometimes excellent and sometimes not so excellent. Facelight just kills this natural variation on avatar face - one will look always exactly the same - day or night - morning or evening. Personally I don't find that natural at all.

Wearing a facelight says: "I don't care about windlightsettings"

I had to turn off attached lights, because of all the facelights which influenced not only the environment, but also my avatar. Some people even wear 3-5 different lights all around their body.

When you're in RL dancing at some night club do you see a single person wearing something that lights up their face (sometimes the entire body and everything in 5-10 meters range), or for example when you're walking down the street in the middle of the night, do you need your face to be lightened up? There is nothing wrong in having our avatars half shadowy or not bright in any other way :) If the sim is all dark and our avatar is not near some lamp or something then its normal (and desirable) not to see the avatar as if its a daylight, its what the person who made the sim wanted, they made it dark and probably paid attention to arrange light sources so it all fits and makes some cool scene, seeing a bright avi in this kind of surrounding is breaking the scene.

I would suggest you to relax and not worry about it, if some random person wants to close examine your avis face structure they can turn on any bright windlight. 

I have all attached lights off now, because I got bored explaining to people that the days when we had to wear them are long gone now. 

Look at it like this; if you want to move on take them off, if you want to be seen like someone thats still stuck in 2008. then ignore what I wrote:)

There are several freebie facelights, Amacci still has one with three interesting variations, though it's fixed (in its parameters, I mean -you can only move it); and you'll probably have little trouble finding a very popular one, CG Facelights, quite more controllable. Or, if you have minimal building skills, you could actually create it yourself, it's rather easy: a 100% transparent prim, set as source light, worn in front of your face.

Whatever the case, just keep in check the facelight's intensity and, especially, its light radius. By far the most hostility towards facelights stems from the fact that some people unconsciously, and somewhat imprudently, wear ones set to huge, very intense light sources that brighten, often to the point of 'burning', everything around them. Those cases are indeed quite annoying (though, with most viewers, avoidable in one or more ways), so much so that often, by association, all facelights become 'evil' regardless.

I myself have always worn facelights, still do, and to this date no one has ever complained about it to me, simply because I've always been careful to use them with small radius and only the necessary intensity; and sometimes, when dancing with my partner, which also wears one, I switch off mine to avoid any over-lighting.

I say no to facelights. Change your WL setting to enhance the 'look' you are seeking for your avatar.

PS If you feel you must stand-out in a crowd, then I recommend Lola's. You will be happy, and others around you will be happy. It's all win.

PPS I think there may be a market for Lola Lights.... just sayin.

Storm Clarence wrote:

I say no to facelights. Change your WL setting to enhance the 'look' you are seeking for your avatar.

PS If you feel you must stand-out in a crowd, then I recommend Lola's. You will be happy, and others around you will be happy. It's all win.

Even better would be "Glow In The Dark Lola's."

They'd be the perfect compliment to the "Glow In The Dark Freenis."

Personally I see nothing wrong with what Ren says ( a girls gotta look good and KNOW it), although I have disabled facelights due to the horrible migraine inducing ones I`ve come across. Looking forward to the day when I get a disable lola`s button, they`re 10 times as fake as bad facelighting. Just my humble opinion.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Wearing a facelight says: "I don't care about windlightsettings"

I had to turn off attached lights,
because of all the facelights which influenced not only the environment, but also my avatar.
Some people even wear 3-5 different lights all around their body.

This^ I just recently learned that other people's facelights affect the way my avatar looks (a mesh avatar). I have never hated facelight wearers more than I do now. I had to turn off local lighting to stop other people's facelights affecting the way my mesh avi looks. 

@OP, Facelights are so 2008. You simply just no longer need them, you can use a windlight setting that suits your needs without affecting other people around you. 

Coby Foden wrote:

May I ask why you are wearing facelight?  Do you always - or very often stare - at your own avatar face - to see is it perfectly lit at all times?

I cam my avi all day long :D I am currently using WL Nam's Optimal Skin 2, it seems to make my avi look perfect to me. 

@OP give that WL setting a try. Also CalWL and AnaLutetia - AvatarOpt2 Whiter seem to make your avi look great, well to me at least. 

Storm Clarence wrote:

Darren, I was using Nam's Optimal, too. Perfect. I had to change because all the female avatars were 'throwing' themselves at me! I just couldn't log-in any longer and still feel safe.

Can you suggest a setting that would work well with my green skin?

Someone the other day told me that I reminded them of an overripe watermelon!

Strange you should mention that, there is a facelight included with the Lolas. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

I think facelights are acceptable, only if you find a very soft basic one. You can experiment with them and enviroment set to midnight. If you only see a faint light on your face and chest, that should not annoy one. If your whole body is lighted up, delete the rubbish. 

You can also click ctrl+alt+T to turn the facelights transparent red and count them. One is enough. 

I use facelights when I take pictures, sometimes I want a dark windlight setting to make skies more interesting, or a windlight setting that turns my skin too red or too dark. I just have to remember to take it off later. But I admit that I forget that sometimes. The worse is if I forget to take off the projected light I sometimes use to get hard shadows! Ugh, that is spotlight....

Ren Toxx wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

May I ask why you are wearing facelight?  Do you always - or very often stare - at your own avatar face - to see is it perfectly lit at all times?

Yes.

Ok, thank you for the comprehensive answer. That explained everything. No more questions.  :smileyhappy: :smileywink:

Coby Foden wrote:

Ok, thank you for the comprehensive answer. That explained everything. No more questions.  :smileyhappy: :smileywink:

You're welcome :smileyhappy:  Should you need more comprehensive information, feel free to ask for it it a more comprehensive way, I'm always happy to obligue :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Marianne Little wrote:

Strange you should mention that, there is a facelight included with the Lolas. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

I think facelights are acceptable, only if you find a very soft basic one. You can experiment with them and enviroment set to midnight. If you only see a faint light on your face and chest, that should not annoy one. If your whole body is lighted up, delete the rubbish. 

You can also click ctrl+alt+T to turn the facelights transparent red and count them. One is enough. 

I use facelights when I take pictures, sometimes I want a dark windlight setting to make skies more interesting, or a windlight setting that turns my skin too red or too dark. I just have to remember to take it off later. But I admit that I forget that sometimes. The worse is if I forget to take off the projected light I sometimes use to get hard shadows! Ugh
, that
is spotlight....

I use facelights also for taking pictures and use my own facelights. it is so easy to build a facelight .

And selfmade is full perm so you can change intensity and colour.

Ava's that spread a light like a lighthouse usually can't see their own light because of low graphic settings. If they could see it, it would be detached at once.

When I am standing next to a lighthouse-ava I derender the facelight or disable attached lights in preferences.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.