Ia anyone else already bored by Halloween?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Halloween can be fun, but some places have been running with the ghost stuff since the beginning of the month, and it is getting tedious. I've had voice chat interrupted by regular screams and howls from sources I haven't been able to switch off through sound menus (well-hidden scripted objects that have to be found and individually blocked). I've been hot-keying dark and gloomy Windlight to default noon. I've seen regions struggling to cope with Haunted Houses that turn out to be no more than incredibly protracted mazes.

There are places and groups which do a good job, and which have only just started, and yet, when they announce their Halloween fun, I'm already inclined to a bored "So what?"

I am maybe not the sort of bear who reacts in the right way to these things. Second Life maybe isn't the place to do scare-the-customer fun-fair rides, and I am the sort of ursine who switches to an analytical how-do-they-do-that mode in horror movies. But, more than that, I am getting the same sort of reaction now to how I feel about the knowledge that Peter Jackson has made three movies out of The Hobbit. Wonderful scenery, and all that, but horribly over-extended and padded.

Halloween in Second Life has reached the point of a wizard in a rabbit-drawn sled.

I don't know if I'm bored as much as having to go through the annoyance of the Halloween stuff. The sims as you stated "Wonderful scenery, and all that, but horribly over-extended and padded", don't thrill me. When I go, I usually get horrible lag, annoying sound effects, and menus to go through to get to the attraction. Not my cup of tea. Although, I'm also not really big on haunted things in RL either.....

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I personally don't celebrate Halloween so, yes, I'm pretty much over it.

Halloween is the only holiday that makes natural sense to me. I can walk through my woods on a crisp October eve and feel what the Halloween tradition (as far as I know it) advertises. The world is a spooky place, full of mystery, surprise and delight.

I'm happy to celebrate that... all year long.

;-)

In RL there seems to be a bit of a reaction (in the UK) against Halloween-hype, as far as I can tell from the shop where I work.

When I was a kid - yeah, half a century ago - it was a small festival where someone might give a party for the family.  Since about 1990 the desperate need of our shops to find some excuse for marketing excess between Summer and Christmas - plus the existing hype about Halloween there is in the USA - has introduced the whole 'trick or treat' thing, which is foreign to us.  Most adults hate it and, so I'm finding, so do most kids (because it's too bloody cold and boring around here!).  A family/social gathering is much more welcoming, and welcomed, so the country seems to be reverting.

[NB: Not knocking anyone for this - just saying that trying to sell the same cheap tut in the UK as the USA without any changes doesn't always work, even if you do think we share the same cultural references ^^. ]

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

(because it's too bloody cold and boring around here!).

What? Don't you live where the Druids once danced around a fire in the woods, telling scary stories? What could be more fun than that, except maybe doing it all while wearing a cozy bumblebee costume, complete with springy antennae?

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

What? Don't you live where the Druids once danced around a fire in the woods, telling scary stories? What could be more fun than that, except maybe doing it all while wearing a cozy bumblebee costume, complete with springy antennae?

Actually, I grew-up near Stonehenge :-)

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

I visited Stonehenge a dozen years ago, wearing a skirt. Did you notice that the wind blows straight up out of the ground there? I finally gave up and sat down in the grass. Then I went to Bath and paid perfectly good money for a glass of water I had to wash down with a pint of beer.

But... the chicken fajitas I had in Canterbury were yummy.

;-)

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

I visited Stonehenge a dozen years ago, wearing a skirt. Did you notice that the wind blows straight up out of the ground there? I finally gave up and sat down in the grass. Then I went to Bath and paid perfectly good money for a glass of water I had to wash down with a pint of beer.

But... the chicken fajitas I had in Canterbury were yummy.

;-)

In all honesty I can definitely say I've never been to Stonehenge wearing a skirt so, no, I haven't noticed that.

I guess i can understand if Halloween and spooky attractions arent really your thing in RL either, so in SL naturally a person could care less. I also get that the  huge lagfest with these halloween themed sims can just be more frustrating than fun more often than not. Don't give up all together. There is still fun in October and halloween in the virtual world. I myself prefer to get together a handful of friends and have our own fun at a chosen sim or even my own. It keeps it more enjoyable having some other people with you to laugh at each other because you lagged yourself right over a balcony or off a cliff by accident.

I love decorating my SL home and sim this time of year. I spend a couple of weeks decorating for this. I enjoy going out and discovering some fun new stuff i can display to make guests go Oooooh and Ahhh over. I find it rather relaxing and kinda destressing to sit back and spend hours just decorating for the holidays in the virtual world.

Once someone has gotten into Second Life and actually gotten a place, either purchased or rented, the holidays get extra special. We sometimes get a little crazy, just because we can. But even after we calm down from that, it is still fun to place those decorations each year, just as you say.

I'm not a good example but even I always put a few pumpkins out by the road, and maybe string my Halloween lights along the edge of the balcony, and a few other little odds and ends. Last year I got help from my serf rent-free tenant but she's probably going to be too busy in RL this year.

Welcome to the Forum, btw. I see you came here to post a picture (nice) and stayed to read and write.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

On the charge of not explaining to gullable foreigners that historically Stonehenge had nothing to do with the Druids, the concept of which is a "modern" reinvention - 18th century - by a less than sane series of weirdos who had a tendency to wear silly, but ear-warming headware, those who didn't conform being deported to America where they established the KKK, and who only first started playing hide and seek there on Salisbury Plain in the 20th century prior to being deported to America where they invented the KKK: GUILTY

Obiter Dicta: Like Buckingham Palace, Shakespeare's Second Best Bed, the ArchBishop of Canterbury and the Loch Ness Monster, there are a number of British traditions which are even younger than the USA which we keep going to extract tourist dollars; some we even sell to ingenuous Americans, like the original London Bridge, which is not Tower Bridge, which is what the guy thought he was buying.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Mind you, the druids do wear skirts - well, dresses - as well as the silly hats so perhaps they appreciate the vertical wind.

On the charge of a fundamental misapprehension: GUILTY

Obiter Dicta: True Druids don't wear ANY clothing during their rituals.

just mental wrote:

On the charge of a fundamental misapprehension: GUILTY

Obiter Dicta: True Druids don't wear ANY clothing during their rituals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTUS REUS: "True Druids don't wear ANY clothing during their rituals." INIIQUUM.

Druids wear robes. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to many scholars, All Hallows' Eve is a Christianized feast initially influenced by Celtic harvest festivals,and festivals of the dead with possible pagan roots, particularly the Gaelic Samhain. Other scholars maintain that it originated independently of Samhain and has solely Christian roots

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTUS REUS: "those who didn't conform being deported to America where they established the KKK."  INIIQUUM.

The first Klan was founded in 1865 in Pulaski, Tennessee, by six veterans of the Confederate Army.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absente reo: On the charge of talking out of your rear. GUILTY

Obiter dictum. Auctoritas non veritas facit legem.

ADDED: You remind me of an original STER TREK episode, when  General Trelane, retired. Was a judge.

ADDED: As you like LATIN I thought I would oblige you.

steph Arnott wrote:

ACTUS REUS: "True Druids don't wear ANY clothing during their rituals." INIIQUUM.

Druids wear robes. 

On the charge of dual irrelevance, as a) you say nothing about "True" Druids and b) you say nothing about "during their rituals"; GUILTY

Obiter Dicta: Just the facts ma'am, just the facts.

steph Arnott wrote:

ACTUS REUS: "those who didn't conform being deported to America where they established the KKK."  INIIQUUM.

The first Klan was founded in 1865 in Pulaski, Tennessee, by six veterans of the Confederate Army.

On the charge of believing everything you read on the internet: GUILTY

Obiter Dicta: Auctoritas non veritas facit legem - you got it sweetie!

The Judge

http://www.britannica.com/search?query=druid%20rituals

The 19th-century Klan was originally organized as a social club by Confederate veterans in Pulaski, Tenn., in 1866. ref: Encyclopeadia Brittanica

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/324086/Ku-Klux-Klan

The first Klan was founded in 1865 in Pulaski, Tennessee, by six veterans of the Confederate Army ref: wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan

Your attempt to besmirch well respected sources  is a disgrace. Your facts were incorrect and misleading.

steph Arnott wrote:

The 19th-century Klan was originally organized as a social club by Confederate veterans in Pulaski, Tenn., in 1866. ref: Encyclopeadia Brittanica

The first Klan was founded in 1865 in Pulaski, Tennessee, by six veterans of the Confederate Army ref: wikipedia.

Your attempt to besmirch well respected sources  is a disgrace. Your facts were incorrect and misleading.

You don't get it do you?

I make EVERYTHING most things lots of things some things a few things the odd thing up.

In fact, you will probably be shocked to learn that IANAL.

The Judge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.