Second Life: End of Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I hope you fall off the ottoman! (gently)

A 780? Really? I'm still limping along with a 9500 GT! I really need to upgrade.

grumble grumble grumble

That 780M (benchmark of 4262) will be in my possession for only another week, it belongs to the neighbor kid. I'll continue to suffer with my 680MX (4372), which actually benchmarks 2.6% faster.

You have my sympathy. The first machine I ever used for SL had An ATI x1600 mobile (92). I gave that to Snugs, who gets 15fps on low. My 680MX does 45fps on mid. Not as much of an improvement as you might expect for a benchmark score 48X higher.

Your 9500 gets 290!

That said, you really can't get the full measure of my cuteness with a 9500, I look forward to you looking forward to looking at me through your upgrade.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

iceing Braveheart wrote:

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

you have not read a single post from this thread or any other thread
linden lab's has put a script into the second life viewer which blocks anyone from using modern pc or laptop
there is nothing to program linden lab's did it deliberately on purpose why invest money into a game/app second life if Linden Lab's doesn't want you to using or anyone one else in the first place?

a question though why are you insulting and trolling when you know nothing?

If that's true, how do you explain that I am, at this very moment, balancing on the ottoman in my SL home, using a new computer containing an nVIDIA GT780M? ....

But, what do we know?

;-)

Speaking of solutions......

Please find in this new version of the SL V3 Viewer some long awaited
GPU Table Updates.

Good Testing to you all.

:D

P.S. The SL Share feature is has been merged into this release as well.

If this fixes your issue iceing feel free to complain about how long it took to get this.

KarenMichelle, I downloaded the latest update this morning, minutes after you announced it in this thread, just in case the GTX7XX family was included in the gpu table. The table still tops out GTX690. If there were updates to the table, they didn't address iceing's complaint (not that an entry in the table is needed for the card to work).

It's possible the PC/Linux versions of the download have a different gpu_table.txt, I'm on a Mac.

Good Morning Everyone.

Please find in this new version of the SL V3 Viewer some long awaited GPU Table Updates.

Good Testing to you all.

P.S. The SL Share feature is has been merged into this release as well.

doesn't work produces crazy flickering note cards render purple just a real mess

here is my PC
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel® Core i7-4770K (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1600MHz
Asus Maximus VI Hero
SAMSUNG 50" LED HDTV @ 1920x1080
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC P/N: 03G-P4-2783-KR
Connection HDMI to HDMI
Western Digital Silicon Blue Edge 256GB SSD
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
LG BH14NS40 rom
Logitech Wireless Keyboard K350
Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700
Logitech Dual Action Gamepad
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W
Cooler Master HAF 932

anyone know of any other 3D chat apps I could play since second life doesn't support a pc?

Once again with the sweeping generalizations. 46,368 people right now would disagree with you. Just because YOU are having problems with YOUR computer and SL doesn't mean SL doesn't run on PCs. I'm having no problems with mine and apparently neither are the other 46K players online at the time of this post. So, quit whining because SL programmers haven't added your brand new shiney. Bottom line is, you seem to think that you are the center of the universe and if your system doesn't run SL, then none are. Hubris, much?

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

Once again with the sweeping generalizations. 46,368 people right now would disagree with you. Just because YOU are having problems with YOUR computer and SL doesn't mean SL doesn't run on PCs. I'm having no problems with mine and apparently neither are the other 46K players online at the time of this post. So, quit whining because SL programmers haven't added your brand new shiney. Bottom line is, you seem to think that you are the center of the universe and if your system doesn't run SL, then none are. Hubris, much?

you are backwards second life is having problems with there software, my pc runs great, but thx for asking

there is a difference between thinking you are center of the universe and asking linden lab's to fix there own mistakes, with there app second life they need to get rid of that bloody script blocking hardware it is absurd I don't get why they ever created it in the first place, until they remove it the cycle will never end nor will the problems with there software,

I got windows 7 in 2009 and my video card in 2013 I never needed a gpu table from microsoft for the hardware to work just my basic drivers, why the bloody hell do you need a gpu table for sl to work? why do no other games or apps use a gpu table? why does imvu work with out a gpu table?

if they didn't make there software borked then maybe they wouldn't be trailing so far behind in likes? 

329,033 likes · 3,265 talking about this

https://www.facebook.com/secondlife

3,776,408 likes · 15,598 talking about this

https://www.facebook.com/IMVU

so do you have any real suggestions for a 3D social game? since second life doesn't support a pc

"Other" "games".  Well done, we now know exactly what you're looking for.  Lots of people like IMVU - go there then!  [You haven't read the comments in this thread - including other virtual worlds]

====> "asking linden lab's to fix..." YOU AREN'T: You're just making silly generalisations to other residents.  We couldn't do anything about it even if your complaints made sense.

with the exception of my last pc all my pc's in history have never worked with sl it is good to have closure finally as to what the bloody hell was wrong with the app second life all these years

and I stand by thread title, businesses like to grow and gain/increase profit this hole apps a cash shop micro transaction shop I cannot see how second life can achieve this when there software will not work with store bought pc's most people will not go to the forum just shrug it off and leave look for something else to do, and those who contact linden lab's will be blow en off with a copy and past message and support ticket closed saying take a hike file a bug report in the jira and if they do fallow through and file the jira they will find them selfs in a situation that is being back burned and there jira ticket closed as duplicate along with 1,000's of others before them

the forum is about the only place I can find to leave feedback for this particular app as the support system & jira appears worthless in this situation

this is second life's future on the current path they walk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CyberTown

iceing Braveheart wrote:

with the exception of my last pc all my pc's in history have never worked with sl
it is good to have closure finally as to what the bloody hell was wrong with the app second life all these years

and I stand by thread title, businesses like to grow and gain/increase profit this hole apps a cash shop micro transaction shop I cannot see how second life can achieve this when there software will not work with store bought pc's most people will not go to the forum just shrug it off and leave look for something else to do, and those who contact linden lab's will be blow en off with a copy and past message and support ticket closed saying take a hike file a bug report in the jira and if they do fallow through and file the jira they will find them selfs in a situation that is being back burned and there jira ticket closed as duplicate along with 1,000's of others before them

the forum is about the only place I can find to leave feedback for this particular app as the support system & jira appears worthless in this situation

So it's not just new PC's that don't work with SL? Just go to IMVU if that works for you, or play WoW or one of the other many games that you can access on your PC. 

IF LL read these forums, they have seen your complaint, so rambling on about it is futile.

iceing Braveheart wrote:

with the exception of my last pc all my pc's in history have never worked with sl it is good to have closure finally as to what the bloody hell was wrong with the app second life all these years

I wasn't going reply to this thread any more but the above says a lot. You never mentioned this fact before. The fact that you've had problems with every PC save one points to the problem being on your end not on SL's and not the viewer application.

I've lived in 4 different places, had 4 different ISP's over the years I've played in SL. I've never had a problem connecting, even last year when I had to use my netbook for bare essentials I needed to take care of, even though I was only getting 2-4 fps on it. I don't know where you are in the world, but sounds like your ISP may have SL throttled if not blocked. Since you can get on the website, but not the viewer, might I suggest seeing if you can log in on something like Metabolt, a text only client? If you can get in on that, I suspect your ISP has your bandwidth throttled down to where it won't support the dynamic bandwidth SL requires.

You might also check your firewall on your modem doesn't have it blocked as well.

Just some thoughts.

Good Morning Everyone.

Please find in this new version of the SL V3 Viewer some long awaited GPU Table Updates.

Good Testing to you all.

P.S. The SL Share feature is has been merged into this release as well.

This version appears to work though I would still prefer Linden Lab's still remove the script blocking hardware from second life as they are unable to be transparent about it so that I and no one else has to go through this again in the future

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.6.10.282997

Summer Tison wrote:

iceing Braveheart wrote:

with the exception of my last pc all my pc's in history have never worked with sl
it is good to have closure finally as to what the bloody hell was wrong with the app second life all these years

So it's not just new PC's that don't work with SL? Just go to IMVU if that works for you, or play WoW or one of the other many games that you can access on your PC. 

IF

LL read these forums, they have seen your complaint, so rambling on about it is futile.

Second Life is flawed by design perhaps Linden Lab's could elaborate on it but I have no idea for motive for why they did it. it Linden lab's has scripts in there client software where you are required to have there expressed permission in order to run the second life on any pc component

even though second life recently added my card to the gpu table so that I can run it I am not sure that I really care anymore. after being trolled out on this thread by countless second life users, fan boys, elitists ect that defend sl when they know not of what they talk about. it has taken some where around 7 months real life time for second life to unblock my hardware and I really think it was a result after making this thread only had I not of made this thread it probably would of been back burned for several more years I have no idea what second life runs like on a new modern pc because second life does not support a personal computer only after my card was replaced retired did they feel it was good enough to add it to the gpu table I am not sure I am going to return to second life as I don't want to wast anymore money and time on this catastrophe of an app the only thing second life has done is provide a band aid to a water pipe either way sooner or later down the road my video card pc ect will die or need to be replaced and it will be the exact same mess all over again it is kinda crazy that customers would have to deal with this kind of none sense when the servers linden lab's rent's cost customers $1000's of dollars because linden lab's refuse to let the customer host them the marketplace really isn't much cheaper either I have no idea who at linden lab's is running the show but I think a 4 year old could make better software decisions and choices I think the risk of loss is far to great with this app and technology so I will back burner it and stop investing and steer clear of for now and watch and wait from the side lines then get caught in the cross fire again and end up dealing with this all over again oh no I also forgot Linden Lab's did have have the time to go into these files to prevent the customer from coping and pasting in the files from 3rd party viewers to get it to work as a work around but linden lab's needed to seal that up quick and blocked it again but again zero support and blocked a lovely company if I owned stock I would liquidate it

I don't play IMVU or WoW

suggesting users go play another app or game really isn't helpful or a solution to Linden Lab's and customers problems

there is no if an's or buts about it this pc will be replaced not long down the road one way or another so it most definitely will not work with second life at a future date

this app has gone from fun enjoyment to being a thorn in my side

the only way to get second life to run is to go to university and become a programer or post in forums and hope someone with some programing expertise can help you out and there will always be delays and may be times when you may not find anyone

iceing Braveheart wrote:

the only way to get second life to run is to go to university and become a programer or post in forums and hope someone with some programing expertise can help you out and there will always be delays and may be times when you may not find anyone

Ahh,  that explains it.  Those 50,000 other people I'll see logged in at around 7 PM SLT tonight are all programmers who by hook and by crook found a workaround to make Second Life actually run on their computers. I guess I just lucked into having a PC that actually worked as is.

iceing, you seem to have a severe case of computer consumerism. If it isn't the brand new top of the line latest and greatest, well then I guess it's junk to you (and junk is an entirely appropriate word: several times here you've suggested that something on the order of an Nvidia 600 series graphics card could probably only be found in a landfill).

Most of us aren't like that. Most of us realize that the PC we order today will be, if not quite obsolete, outstripped by current products within months. It's always been that way. The only change is that the elapsed time between new and damned near obsolete keeps getting reduced. Most of us are okay with noting that new hardware is available, and we will think about upgrading when our current hardware gets to be clunky enough we don't like it anymore.

But go ahead, go on and live on the bleeding edge. Just don't throw such a hissy fit if some application you're using won't work with the brand new almost still in beta card  you installed. You make yourself look like an idiot, as you have in this thread.

eta a couple missing words

iceing Braveheart wrote:

If using SL is so important to you that you'd end your life if you can't may I suggest a saner alternative?  Use one of your older computers to log in.

Seriously, you've been trying unsuccessfully (with the exception of one computer) to log in all these years?!?!?

You are the one who needs to decide which is more important to you.  Having the latest and greatest computer or using a slightly older one to log in.

Where's that thread in which we all agreed with the complaints about SL and LL that actually made sense?  I can't find it and fear it was either deleted or locked because it became a flame-war between a couple of genuine trolls.

Still, this thread is oddly interesting in that instead of leaving-as-threatened the OP keeps coming back with the same pointless rant and, despite having asked for suggestions about games he can play (as opposed to virtual worlds he can join, presumably) now rants about that too.

Iceing, surely the 50,000 people who were in-world when Dillon visited cannot all be using computers that are more "mature" than yours. Somewhere in your wall of rant, I believe you contemplate leaving SL. I think that's a wonderful idea, but I don't believe you'll exit SL, even though you claim not to possess the knowledge required to enter it. 

Ironically, if your RL persona is like your SL persona, I think you'll find that real life is also flawed by design and for best results may actually require a personality that's more mature than the one you currently own.

Iceing, surely the 50,000 people who were in-world when Dillon visited
cannot all be using computers that are more "mature" than yours. 
Somewhere in your wall of rant, I believe you contemplate leaving SL. I think that's a wonderful idea, but I don't believe you'll exit SL, even though you claim not to possess the knowledge required to enter it. 

Ironically, if your RL persona is like your SL persona, I think you'll find that real life is also flawed by design and for best results may actually require a personality that's more mature than the one you currently own.

Actually I suggested that number would be inworld when I logged in tonight, Maddy, so it wasn't a demonstrated fact. I'm fairly confident I'll see close to that number, though. Friday and Saturday evenings have been in the high 40's or low 50's everytime I've bothered to look.

Edited: 52,702 at 7:10 PM SLT

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Iceing, surely the 50,000 people who were in-world when Dillon visited
cannot all be using computers that are more "mature" than yours. 
Somewhere in your wall of rant, I believe you contemplate leaving SL. I think that's a wonderful idea, but I don't believe you'll exit SL, even though you claim not to possess the knowledge required to enter it. 

Actually I suggested that number would be inworld when I logged in tonight, Maddy, so it wasn't a demonstrated fact. I'm fairly confident I'll see close to that number, though. Friday and Saturday evenings have been in the high 40's or low 50's everytime I've bothered to look.

I was in-world around the time of posting that. Pop 55K.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.