Second Life: End of Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the past few months I have gone through complete hell with this software application second life by linden labs. There is no support in the least from linden labs support team or fix, just brush it off and sweep it under the carpet and silence the consumer. This software is not compatible with a modern computer, sorry but my old computer finally died so I had to buy a new personal computer and since linden labs is going out of their way to make it incompatible, I feel this is the end of life for this software as it is not compatible with a personal computer time to go else where and find something else to do.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Linden Labs wont help, there are many groups in Second Life that will, off the top of my head:

New Citizens Incorperated, Caledon Oxbridge University, The Shelter.

Linden Labs has also been kind enough to let us use Third Party Viewers, found here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

I use Firestorm Viewer, they have a group that is always active with giving technical help.

What is your definition of a Modern Computer? 

I have a $395 Dell Laptop Inspiron 3520 Intel I3 CPU, DDR4 RAM, and a moderm but none gaming graphics card. I am able to run Second Life but not above High Settings.

I have seen videos of people using the Nvidia Titan graphics card and sorta run Second Life on max.

You can get the Titan just about anywhere, here is the link to the stock EVGA Titan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130897  Notice the modern Price tag.

Ohh noooes, the sky is falling!  Again!

Have you any idea the number of times people have predicted the end of the world - real or virtual?  While both have their problems they were still there last time I looked (re: Bishop Berkeley).

You're quite right about the problems and support, of course.  Not about the 'modern computer' bit though.  No idea what you mean about LL going out of their way to "make" it incompatible, although they certainly don't make it easy.  In any case this is 10 year old software with lots of patches.  It is what it is, I'm afraid.

iceing Braveheart wrote:

For the past few months I have gone through complete hell with this software application second life by linden labs. There is no support in the least from linden labs support team or fix, just brush it off and sweep it under the carpet and silence the consumer. This software is not compatible with a modern computer, sorry but my old computer finally died so I had to buy a new personal computer and since linden labs is going out of their way to make it incompatible, I feel this is the end of life for this software as it is not compatible with a personal computer time to go else where and find something else to do.

good lord, the least you can do is let us know what type of computer you have, what is the graphics card? and I have a brand new HP and I have had absolutely NO trouble getting SL to load or to do things inworld. It would help tremendously IF you would give us the specs of your "modern" computer.

iceing Braveheart wrote:

I was able to run SL for the past 6 years on a computer that didn't have SEE2 capabilities. (To not bore everyone again, if you don't know what that is, just know it has been an industry standard on PCs, depending on the chip, since minimally 2004 and some PCs prior to that.)  The point is, until a few months ago I was running SL on a 10 year old PC using the Phoenix viewer.  I could not go much above 64m draw distance and move at the same time, I could not see mesh, etc. but I was able to be in SL.

I was blessed to be able to purchase a new PC a few months ago and am seeing a whole new SL!!!!!  I have chosen the Singularity Viewer mainly because I prefer the version 1.23 UI, but also tried the CoolVL Viewer and Firestorm and all run well.  I am very sympathetic to people trying to use SL with older PCs due to my own past experience, but saying SL is not compatible with a *new* PC I find hard to accept.

You did not say what type PC it is - desktop, laptop, tablet?  Are you running on wireless ISP?  There are a myriad of things that could cause SL to not function optimally, even to the type of graphics card and/or needing new drivers.  With a bit more information, many people here are happy to help you. :)

Edit: typo

iceing Braveheart wrote:

Let's see...for everyone else reading this post, not Iceing

For the past few months I have gone through complete hell with this software application second life by linden labs.

OK. You have had issues running the SecondLife Viewer. SL Answers has aided many OPs with SL Viewer Issues. The majority of the SL Viewer Issues seem to revolve around a) Graphic Driver Issues b) Older Graphics Cards that do not support the current SL Graphics Feature set c) Failure to perform a Clean Install correctly d) Insisting on using a wireless connection to access the Internet - even when we are trying to help diagnosis an issue on a OP's behalf  e) OP's using PC equipment and GCs that do NOT meet the minimum system requirements & f) Just plain poor Internet Service Providers.

To be sure this is also exacerbated by OPs who then install multiple Viewers including those NOT capable of running SL in it's current incarnation and once again not performing clean uninstalls of previous viewers.

There is no support in the least from linden labs support team or fix, just brush it off and sweep it under the carpet and silence the consumer.

To be sure, you can use the linden Lab Support Services but using SL Answers is faster in most respects and the volunteer staff there is more experienced in the use of the viewer in the real world on a bevy of PC platforms.

This software is not compatible with a modern computer, sorry but my old computer finally died so I had to buy a new personal computer and since linden labs is going out of their way to make it incompatible

I can only speak for myself and those who I know I have helped but the use of the SL Viewer on Windows 8 & Windows 7 platforms has been a joy. The important point to be sure of is to make sure your Graphics Card and/or Graphics Subsystem is a state of the art Nvidia or AMD/ATI product. I'm sorry, non of the Intel embedded Graphics Subsystems need apply. Additionally many other issues with newer PCs revolve around the OP not keeping the OS software up to date with the Mandatory & Important updates issued monthly.

[Note: Your issue with your GC clearly is one based on the fact that it is extremely new technology.]

I feel this is the end of life for this software as it is not compatible with a personal computer time to go else where and find something else to do.

So is is your expert opinion that it's all over for Linden Lab. OKies.

Just for you Iceing,

You have clearly contributed to the SL Answers discussions both in aiding others and in identifying/confirming a Memory Leak.

I reviewed your issues with your very high end EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC Graphics Card selection. While this is a top of the line GC It is also distributed by EVGA and thus has a slightly modified system BIOS in it. It just became available for purchase this last June yes?

You might just had to wait for Linden Lab to include this in the default GPU table.

Early adopters of cutting edge Graphics Technology all suffer through this issue, if not with SecondLife then with their Graphics Intensive game of choice.

Just sayin''

You seem like an intelligent person, why not work with the JIRA system as you have in the past.....but try not to mentally assign the due date to the issues you identify since you will always be disappointed. Think about it. If there are JIRA's that have been prioritized that affect 100's or 1000's of SL Users. Of course they will get serviced sooner.

I'm not sure how many SL Users can afford to install a EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC Graphics Card and I for one am glad you identified this issue so future adopters of this GC may not experience this issue. But if this is frustrating you so much, and SL is your primary game, why not use that older GC for a bit longer.

So another end of SL post.    You come here just to vent or to actually ask for help?   My guess is the former since you've not replied to any of the people who've been kind enough to reply to your OP.  

I've been a resident for a little over 5 years now.  In that time I've run SL on various desk tops and lap tops of different ages and capabilities.   Most of the time on TPVs.   Some have worked better than others on different computers, but with a little patience and trial and error I've always been able to find one that suits the computer I was using at the time.

Instead of whining, take the initiative to ask around and try some of the other platforms.   FS and Singularity both have very helpful support groups.  

Looking at OP's post history, I wonder if OP is computer illiterate or just trolling us. OP has used the third Party viewers before like Firestorm. OP's system is more than enough to run Second Life on Max settings with ease.

I am surprised that OP never thought of reading the Help option in Firestorm Viewer and how it links the users to the in-world Firestorm support group.

Maybe OP is just really Lazy.

Just my two cents.    My old computer got hacked so I had to buy a brand new one with windows 8.  I put on firestorm (at a friends suggestion when I started sl) and everything works great.  Never had any problems.   And my old computer was too slow to run sl.

hornyteen19

KiraLynnn wrote:

have you tried firestorm or singularity? Much better in my opinion then second life viewer

I have tried some 3rd party viewers in the past maybe a year ago or longer but only for a very short time minutes at the most and not all of them I cannot remember all the versions I have tried though I do remember there was one that caused excessive BSOD's so I backed away from 3rd party viewers as they seamed very unsafe, dangerous, harmful and unregulated

I do remember trying firestorm over a year ago but didn't like the user interface so I stuck with Linden Labs viewer the rest I can't remember that far back

I have only used the Linden Labs viewer to experience SL

I don't know anything about singularity I think

Finneli Felwitch wrote:

If Linden Labs wont help, there are many groups in Second Life that will, off the top of my head:

New Citizens Incorperated, Caledon Oxbridge University, The Shelter.

Linden Labs has also been kind enough to let us use Third Party Viewers, found here: 

I use Firestorm Viewer, they have a group that is always active with giving technical help.

What is your definition of a Modern Computer? 

I have a $395 Dell Laptop Inspiron 3520 Intel I3 CPU, DDR4 RAM, and a moderm but none gaming graphics card. I am able to run Second Life but not above High Settings.

I have seen videos of people using the Nvidia Titan graphics card and sorta run Second Life on max.

You can get the Titan just about anywhere, here is the link to the stock EVGA Titan: 
  Notice the modern Price tag.

My definition of a modern computer is a computer that isn't replaced by something new and better yet going to a store for a new gpu graphics card the proper card to buy would be a modern 700 series card and for cpu processor a haswell architecture processor with a z87 chipset motherboard

for the year of 2013 the modern computer is powered by 700 series graphics cards which titan is part of and haswell processors but in 2014 they will be replaced by something modern then 1 year modern life cycles usually at max

Heart Brimmer wrote:

iceing Braveheart wrote:

good lord, the least you can do is let us know what type of computer you have, what is the graphics card? and I have a brand new HP and I have had absolutely NO trouble getting SL to load or to do things inworld. It would help tremendously IF you would give us the specs of your "modern" computer.

http://valid.canardpc.com/3t0rvm

Czari Zenovka wrote:

iceing Braveheart wrote:

I was able to run SL for the past 6 years on a computer that didn't have SEE2 capabilities. (To not bore everyone again, if you don't know what that is, just know it has been an industry standard on PCs, depending on the chip, since minimally 2004 and some PCs prior to that.)  The point is, until a few months ago I was running SL on a 10 year old PC using the Phoenix viewer.  I could not go much above 64m draw distance and move at the same time, I could not see mesh, etc. but I was able to be in SL.

I was blessed to be able to purchase a new PC a few months ago and am seeing a whole new SL!!!!!  I have chosen the Singularity Viewer mainly because I prefer the version 1.23 UI, but also tried the CoolVL Viewer and Firestorm and all run well.  I am very sympathetic to people trying to use SL with older PCs due to my own past experience, but saying SL is not compatible with a *new* PC I find hard to accept.

You did not say what type PC it is - desktop, laptop, tablet?  Are you running on wireless ISP?  There are a myriad of things that could cause SL to not function optimally, even to the type of graphics card and/or needing new drivers.  With a bit more information, many people here are happy to help you.
:)

Edit: typo

Wired Cat 6 rj45

Hitron CDE-30364

http://www.hitrontech.com/en/cable_detail.php?id=10

speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3030611385

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

iceing Braveheart wrote:

Just for you Iceing,

You have clearly contributed to the SL Answers discussions both in aiding others and in identifying/confirming a Memory Leak.

I reviewed your issues with your very high end EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC Graphics Card selection. While this is a top of the line GC It is also distributed by EVGA and thus has a slightly modified system BIOS in it. It just became available for purchase this last June yes?

You might just had to wait for Linden Lab to include this
in
the default GPU table.

Early adopters of cutting edge Graphics Technology all suffer through this issue, if not with SecondLife then with their Graphics Intensive game of choice.

Just sayin''

You seem like an intelligent person, why not work with the JIRA system as you have in the past.....but try not to mentally assign the due date to the issues you identify since you will always be disappointed. Think about it. If there are JIRA's that have been prioritized that affect 100's or 1000's of SL Users. Of course they will get serviced sooner.

I'm not sure how many SL Users can afford to install a EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC Graphics Card and I for one am glad you identified this issue so future adopters of this GC may not experience this issue. But if this is frustrating you so much, and SL is your primary game, why not use that older GC for a bit longer.

I see a launch date of May 23, 2013 on wikia that is 6 months Linden Lab's has failed consumers and still counting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_700_Series#GeForce_700_.287xx.29_series

Early adopters of cutting edge Graphics Technology do not suffer from anything related to Linden Lab problems anywhere else in the world this is strictly something Linden Labs cooked up I have no idea why LInden Lab's did it maybe Linden Lab's are jealous and envy others who knows but I do know this is a micro transaction shop that costs mega dollars to play and they are preventing everyone with money and a modern laptop, desktop ect from running there software and utilizing properly if they would like to go bankrupt then by all means continue the trend no sweat off my wallet

I made a JIRA long ago about it

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/MATBUG-389

and they closed it and said it was duplicate I also searched and there was many many many others and all closed as duplicates they close everyones and leave one open and never do anything about it besides silence it like a tyrant on top of this Linden Lab's has the time to go into the gpu_table and screw it up so you can't even copy and past the firestorm gpu_table file inside to get it to work but Linden Lab's still refuses grant permission to run there software with a modern laptop or computer ect Linden lab's is the only software on planet earth that does this with there software you will be required to have Linden Lab's writ explicit permissions to use the software with each component you use no one else does this kind of crap

I can't use my older graphics card because it is dead I only bought the new one because the old one died and they do not manufacture or sell GTX 460 1GB's anymore

the card I chose is reference design but overclocked a bio's up date does not exist because there isn't a problem with the card 

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-2783-KR

The sad fact is Linden Labs are making a huge profit off the backs of customers who are too frightened to make a fuss about the archaic software, poor customer support and basically crappy game mechanics.  Perhaps none of you play other games out there, but believe me, Linden belongs in the dinosaur age as far as development and response to customers goes.

While people are happy to continue paying vast amounts of real world money and accept sub par service, Linden will continue to make their $100 million a year and be very pleased about it.

It's only by complaining and raising issues or by voting with your feet and going elsewhere that we can encourage Linden to actually enter the 21st century and update regularly.

At the moment all I see is an extremely complacent company with a bunch of overly loyal supporters who are happy to let this kind of service continue.

KatTruewalker wrote:

The sad fact is Linden Labs are making a huge profit off the backs of customers who are too frightened to make a fuss about the archaic software, poor customer support and basically crappy game mechanics.  Perhaps none of you play other games out there, but believe me, Linden belongs in the dinosaur age as far as development and response to customers goes.

While people are happy to continue paying vast amounts of real world money and accept sub par service, Linden will continue to make their $100 million a year and be very pleased about it.

It's only by complaining and raising issues or by voting with your feet and going elsewhere that we can encourage Linden to actually enter the 21st century and update regularly.

At the moment all I see is an extremely complacent company with a bunch of overly loyal supporters who are happy to let this kind of service continue.

It's NOT  a game...and I quite like SL, with all it's little issues. Any money I choose to spend there is totally my choice, LL do not charge me anything to be on SL, they offer it free for everyone.

I think I'll stick with it.

Summer Tison wrote:

KatTruewalker wrote:

It's NOT  a game...and I quite like SL, with all it's little issues. Any money I choose to spend there is totally my choice, LL do not charge me anything to be on SL, they offer it free for everyone.

I think I'll stick with it.

My first three years in SL I spent on average FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS A MONTH.

They certainly were getting very, very rich on my back!

But here we have again another software and server architecture expert posting about how badly designed and archaic SL is. 

Got to love it.

Perrie Juran wrote:

My first three years in SL I spent on average FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS A MONTH.

They certainly were getting very, very rich on my back!

But here we have again another software and server architecture expert posting about how badly designed and archaic SL is. 

Got to love it.

I often wonder what keeps them on SL if it's as bad as they make it out to be. 

Maybe I'm just easily pleased :smileyindifferent:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.