To wear a facelight or not?

Varquell Blaisdale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah...and now, go and grab a group of people to show how they see your facelight. From my experiance everyone with a facelight thinks they have a soft and subtile light and then they are shocked when you present them a snapshot, where they enlighten the whole room...

Syo Emerald wrote:

Yeah...and now, go and grab a group of people to show how they see your facelight. From my experiance everyone with a facelight thinks they have a soft and subtile light and then they are shocked when you present them a snapshot, where they enlighten the whole room...

i've had plenty of pics taken from other people with mine on..

not everyone  here is a noob..i know where my light lands and how much it lights up a room..

but as i said..i don't wear mine anywhere  unless i forget that i have it on..

not all cast like a fog light..there is subtle lighting in sl..

Syo Emerald wrote:

As long as your facelight is subtle when you have ALM on, it will be subtle for everyone

I am a noob how do I turn ALM on with Firestorm?

Here is what my alt sees using the LL viewer:

EFacelight5.png

The light is brighter and reflects on the wall.

Here is what my alt sees using Firestorm (the same viewer as my avi):

E2Facelight2.png

Same subtle lighting with no light on the wall.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

not everyone  here is a noob..i know where my light lands and how much it lights up a room..

I haven't said someone here is a noob. Its just what I experianced so far and we all now that "shared experiance" is a joke so far, so I always expect others to see Second Life different than I do.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

This is not a noob or oldbie issue.

But the number of "oldbies' who still don't understand that what they see is not the same as what others see sometimes astounds me.

So asking how other people see you is a valid question.

If you are not blinding other people, awesome.  But just don't assume it because everything looks good on your screen.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

But the number of "oldbies' who still don't understand that what they see is not the same as what others see sometimes astounds me.

If you are not blinding other people, awesome.  But just don't assume it because everything looks good on your screen.

The issue is that some people have been so traumatized by overly bright facelights that they've lost all ability to understand that some people actually know what they're doing and aren't disturbing anyone by wearing a soft, subtle facelight.  This is understandable to a point, but these anti-facelight advocates seem to lack the ability to realize that their reasoning simply doesn't apply to everyone in every situation.  There is, indeed, a sweet spot, regardless of whether they want to admit it or not.

...Dres

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

i don't assume it..

as i said..i've had many people take pics of me with it on..as well as not one time has anyone ever said anything negative about it..infact the one time someone did say something it was someone that did not know what  a face light was but noticed that there was a light enhancing my face..

then wanted to know what it was and if they could turn on something to make them have it..

i've tested it in the past because this is not a new subject..and i also didn't want to be hurting peoples eyes if mine had been doing that..

i've tested it with other people and from other systems looking at myself..also when i'm in clubs i would just blert out if my light was bright to anyone..

i didn't just stand next to a black wall and all of a sudden say..ok tested fine.. hehehehe

i'm an older user but i'm not an ignorant one..

i've created a lot of projects with using lighting..been doing it since windlight and havok 4 came along with some pretty awesome creators..

i get  tunnel vision when i get my mind set on trying find  something out..

it's a face light..a prim and settings to adjust..there is nothing to learning how to set a face light to where it doesn't blast peoples eye sockets out.

it's not different than lighting set up in prims in a wall or a lamp or any prim..it's just setting the settings..

by knowing those settings we also can have in idea of what other people are seeing in other viewers..

it's not all just guess work..

Syo Emerald wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

I haven't said someone here is a noob. Its just what I experianced so far and we all now that "shared experiance" is a joke so far, so I always expect others to see Second Life different than I do.

here is the thing..if everyone with a face light lit up the whole room..

then chances are that every prim with a light setting in it lights up the whole room for you as well..

because a prim is a prim..and the light settings adjusters are the same exact ones for face lights and wall prims or any prim..and just like any setting..i doubt all the creators got the same exact setting  in their face lights..

could it be possible that only the face lights that you noticed  lit up the whole room everytime and the ones that you didn't notice.. didn't light up the whole room?

i used to work at one of the most crowded clubs in sl with over 140k in traffic..this is when traffic was old daily rule not that hourly crap that came later hehehe

you wanna talk about seeing a lot of face lights? lol

they were in everything..half the time i used to have to try to find out what the girls were wearing so we could turn them off in the item..

but at the same time..

there were those that were more just enhancers with the good settings that you didn't really notice until you were up on the person..

even in the dark..

make a prim and mess with the light settings  in it and see what you can see..see how much of a range there is in them and when it becomes a fog light and when it doesn't become a fog light..

Aethelwine wrote:

Studio09 wrote:

I am a noob how do I turn ALM on with Firestorm?

Advanced lighting should be one of the settings under preferences and graphics.

And in older Firestorm versions it was called: "Lighting & Shadows"

Which was a bit misleading because turning that on did not turn also shadows on (as one might suppose).

There is separate setting box to turn shadows on too.

Anyway, shadows are not needed to see Advanced Lighting effect; which is good because shadows put slowish computers crawling.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate facelights -_- 

It may make you look good on your screen but not only does it make you look like crap to anyone with windlight settings, it also makes everyone around you look like crap because it casts shadows everywhere and washes out faces.

Pretty sure at this point most people have windlight settings on (if you use Firestorm, I know a lot of people who use the CalWL preset and I use it as well because it looks nice), so I'd recommend just using that. So you wouldn't have to worry about looking weird on other people's screens because I think very few don't use windlight. 

That's it.  I'm wearing a facelight forever now.  I didn't even remember they were a thing until I saw this thread.

Heavens to Betsy, y'all.  I honestly have never noticed a facelight worn by another person nor have I ever been so bothered by other folk's light casting on the environment around me.  Well, I dunno if you count Blings as light, but those are like dangerous to epileptics and I think we all hate those pretty equally.

And I like my Lolas, thanks much.  -humphs-

• 2 weeks later...

An old subject that's always bound to get a lot of opinions lol. Personally I wear a very non-intrusive. softly lit, facelight that I picked up from League for free but I don't think Nena offers it anymore. I dunno why peeps get bugged by facelights. This has never bothered me, not even once in SL. You can turn off seeing this or you can mute if it's really bugging you. For myself, I'm not a fan of the big butz, lolas, or revealing butt cracks that seems to be the style but if I find this really offensive I mute and it's DONE. But peeps just like to complain. BTW, the only lolas I'd ever thought were done right was the ones Strawberry Singh sports in her pics. Check 'em out on her blog.

There was one time I had on a super lit facelight for a photo but forgot to take it off and went wondering around SL for the rest of the day. Yes I'm kinda dense sometimes. Finally someone made a comment, like being blinded by the light or something. In this instance I was thankful that someone had opened their big mouth & wish I'd realized earlier as I was a bit embarrassed lol.

Sommerland Starostin wrote:

An old subject that's always bound to get a lot of opinions lol.

I dunno why peeps get bugged by facelights. This has never bothered me, not even once in SL. You can turn off seeing this or you can mute if it's really bugging you.

Yes, the subject indeed does pop up often, getting lots of attention.

Even nowadays I still see glaring facelight wearers occasionally in many venues for example.  Naturally one can turn off seeing attached facelights in one's viewer.  But have you thought what is the real effect doing so?

• You see yourself and surroundings nice and dandy. Yay! :smileyhappy:

• But others still see you lit by that glaring facelight if the facelight wearer is near you - ruining totally your appearance. :matte-motes-crying:

So, turning attached lights off in one's viewer is not a real solution.

Coby Foden wrote:

Varquell Blaisdale wrote:

... if im going to spend L$1,500 on a skin, i would atleast expect others to see the detail and how my avatar looks ...

... therefore, SL should have a light setting that is default and looks good when you download the game.

You cannot expect anything how others might see you. Many turn off attached light rendering in their viewers. So they do not see you as you expect them to see you. Your facelight was wasted effort - if you expected that everybody will see you as you yourself do.

SL has lots of different Windlight settings. Some are especially made so that skins look excellent. Then again if you adjust your Windlight setting to something where the skin looks perfect, others might have totally different Windlight setting on which your skin may not look so good.

So much for the "shared same experience". It does not exist in SL because everybody can tweak their personal settings (i.e. how they see the world) at will. :smileywink:

Well then might as well say dressing nice or having a nice avi is many times a wasted effort due to lag lol. A lot of time all I see are grey figures. I think we really do dress to please ourselves, otherwise nobody in my sphere would have big butz or butt cracks hehe.. A shared personal experience seems to be how others think you should present yourself, just sayin. :)

Sommerland Starostin wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Varquell Blaisdale wrote:

... if im going to spend L$1,500 on a skin, i would atleast expect others to see the detail and how my avatar looks ...

... therefore, SL should have a light setting that is default and looks good when you download the game.

You cannot expect anything how others might see you. Many turn off attached light rendering in their viewers. So they do not see you as you expect them to see you. Your facelight was wasted effort - if you expected that everybody will see you as you yourself do.

SL has lots of different Windlight settings. Some are especially made so that skins look excellent. Then again if you adjust your Windlight setting to something where the skin looks perfect, others might have totally different Windlight setting on which your skin may not look so good.

So much for the "shared same experience". It does not exist in SL because everybody can tweak their personal settings (i.e. how they see the world) at will. :smileywink:

Well then might as well say dressing nice or having a nice avi is many times a wasted effort due to lag lol. A lot of time all I see are grey figures. I think we really do dress to please ourselves, otherwise nobody in my sphere would have big butz or butt cracks hehe.. A shared personal experience seems to be how others think you should present yourself, just sayin.
:)

I can agree with this. Though we partly dress for others. I think despite the slow loading it's always a delight to see someone with a unique or interesting avatar. I think deep down when we dress our avatars were all hoping to be that unique or interesting avatar that people like to see.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.