To wear a facelight or not?

Varquell Blaisdale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Thanks for posting probably one of the most
extreme
examples of facelighing that you could find.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Facelights... ought to get their users sim-ejected. 

Buy a sim and eject anyone you like.

Got plenty of land, and in fact have that privilege. Try less snark next time. My example wasn't extreme - about typical for what facelights do when I find someone using them. The screenshot was taken after a person with actually extreme settings had left.

Coby Foden wrote:

Ina Fairport wrote:

When I am standing next to a lighthouse-ava I derender the facelight or disable attached lights in preferences.

Only thing is that other avatars nearby will still see that other person's lighthouse totally ruining your appearance.

That is why they are in fact getting tossed from venues now.

Aethelwine wrote:

It is all very well to say use windlight settings, but I am noticing when I go back to the secondlife viewer I get messages about not finding the TOR windlight settings used by the region. Obviously I can just pick a setting I want to use, but isn't the point of region windlight settings that everyone sees things kinda the same.

From what you typed, that appears to be you having a file in the wrong place. Not settings that region has, but settings you have - looks like you have the Torley windlights in the wrong folder on your viewer.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

My example wasn't extreme - about typical for what facelights do when I find someone using them.

You should find better places to go.

I don't have a recent one, but here's me with my facelight on, on the right, again.

1m.jpg

And in closeup:

150percent.jpg

ETA: The light on my "associate's" face is from the moon.

Coby Foden wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ren Toxx wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote: [...] 
I used directional lighting so that it would only cast light on my face [...]

That's interesting, Dres... I thought directional lighting was only available with ALM on?

Gotta try it, anyway; thanks for the idea :smileywink:

Your thought was correct... it is a feature of advanced lighting.

...Dres

Yes. And everybody who hasn't got ALM on will see that directional light as an ordinary one - light emitting to all directions.

I made two directional lights for my boat - to see better at night in narrow waterways were I'm going to. With ALM on they look superb - casting light only forward where I'm going to. WIth ALM off they look absolutely terrible - bright light shining all over the place.

Yes, but my facelight is not bright and not shining all over the place... for it to be seen, even without ALM, the person would have to be practically sitting on my face.  This is not something which I normally allow, though I'm willing to make exceptions for the right person.

...Dres

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

And in closeup:

150percent.jpg

Hmm.. it's night, only moonlight there.  Your face clearly stands out from the rest of the scene. It's lighter than the other guy's face. Maybe that is the intention?  "I'm here!" Or you might be afraid that you cannot find yourself in the dark?

Well anyway, on this scene one could imagine that the moon is at back of the other guy and thus the moon shines straight onto your face. But if you moved about and turned around then your facelight trick would have been revealed to any passer by who happened to observe your face.

:smileywink:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

My example wasn't extreme - about typical for what facelights do when I find someone using them.

You should find better places to go.

I don't have a recent one, but here's me with my facelight on, on the right, again.

1m.jpg

And in closeup:

150percent.jpg

emoticons_smilies_8.gif  OMG!!!!!  YOU NEED TO BE SHOT ON SITE!!!!

...Dres

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

It is all very well to say use windlight settings, but I am noticing when I go back to the secondlife viewer I get messages about not finding the TOR windlight settings used by the region. Obviously I can just pick a setting I want to use, but isn't the point of region windlight settings that everyone sees things kinda the same.

From what you typed, that appears to be you having a file in the wrong place. Not settings that region has, but settings you have - looks like you have the Torley windlights in the wrong folder on your viewer.

I have found secondlife viewers windlights folder (in app_settings). I have 36 settings in there. (It is a clean install from a few days ago).

I have looked through knowledge base and can't find anything to explain where I get the TOR ones I had in firestorm.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

They're available here...

...Dres

Thank you very much.

Edit: I followed the instructions, made the folders for them and the Linden Lab viewer still doesn't find them.

If it is so hard to get windlight to work on the default viewer, no wonder people use facelights. hehe

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

Edit: I followed the instructions,
made the folders for them
and the Linden Lab viewer still doesn't find them.

Those (empty) folders should have already been on your HD. o.0

I switched to the materials beta viewer, because firestorm was being laggy and singularity renders avatars ugly for me.

Maybe the materials beta doesn't come with the windlight extensions enabled? The folders the wiki says i should put them in weren't there before I created them and put the downloads in.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Should I be sim-ejected for my facelight?

Some would argue that you should get ejected, but they'de have no legitimate claim, and could only provide points to argue about that are only valid for the supernova type lights ... because it's not the light itself that's causing them grief. The real reason would be because you break the "all facelight users are vain selfish overbright griefers, facelights are teh ebil" stereotype... and for those who simply MUST stereotype everything, you represent a wild card, a change to a held notion, a risk to their internal status quo.. and so you MUST get attacked. Anything that doesn't fit neatly into one of their stereotypical mental catagories gets pounded on until it fits, or until it breaks... that's how these people make sense of reality.

Dana Hickman wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Should I be sim-ejected for my facelight?

Some would argue that you should get ejected, but they'de have no legitimate claim, and could only provide points to argue about that are only valid for the supernova type lights ... because it's not the light itself that's causing them grief. The real reason would be because you break the "all facelight users are vain selfish overbright griefers, facelights are teh ebil" stereotype... and for those who simply
MUST
stereotype everything, you represent a wild card, a change to a held notion, a risk to their internal status quo.. and so you
MUST
get attacked. Anything that doesn't fit neatly into one of their stereotypical mental catagories gets pounded on until it fits, or until it breaks... that's how these people make sense of reality.

Like I said... shot on site.

...Dres

magatron_002.jpg

My Favorite Facelight, The Megatron.  :)

Coby Foden wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ren Toxx wrote:

That's interesting, Dres... I thought directional lighting was only available with ALM on?

...Dres

Yes. And everybody who hasn't got ALM on will see that directional light as an ordinary one - light emitting to all directions.

I made two directional lights for my boat - to see better at night in narrow waterways were I'm going to. With ALM on they look superb - casting light only forward where I'm going to. WIth ALM off they look absolutely terrible - bright light shining all over the place.

Here lays part of the problem.  LL introduced a feature that only works with a specific setting enabled.  If you don't have ALM enabled the "shared experience" becomes a "ruined experience."  And as far as I know, ALM is not enabled by default until you set to "ultra."

So we wind up with a possible Catch 22.  Should the viewer default to not render attached lights when ALM is disabled?

Or are we using a feature in ways that LL never intended or considered, i.e., Facelights?

Because the feature was never designed with Facelights in mind, I still maintain the best option if you are concerned about how you look to yourself is to use the windlight settings.  You just can not control how others see you and by using attached lights in ways they were never intended for there is too much potential to negatively impact other user's experience.

One thing for sure and I agree with Dres on this, if you are going to use one, keep it subtle.

Perrie Juran wrote:

magatron_002.jpg

My Favorite Facelight, 

:)

Coby Foden wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ren Toxx wrote:

...Dres

Here lays part of the problem.  LL introduced a feature that only works with a specific setting enabled.  If you don't have ALM enabled the "shared experience" becomes a "ruined experience."  And as far as I know, ALM is not enabled by default until you set to "ultra."

So we wind up with a possible Catch 22.  Should the viewer default to not render attached lights when ALM is disabled?

Or are we using a feature in ways that LL never intended or considered, i.e., Facelights?

Because the feature was never designed with Facelights in mind, I still maintain the best option if you are concerned about how you look to yourself is to use the windlight settings.  You just can not control how others see you and by using attached lights in ways they were never intended for there is too much potential to negatively impact other user's experience.

One thing for sure and I agree with Dres on this, if you are going to use one, keep it subtle.

Yes, sure keep it subtle...

But not only facelights ! After all a facelight is nothing else than a lightprim. The same lightprim you will find in a lamp or a spotlight.

My graphics are always on ultra and ALM and shadows enabled.

Today I was at a marina. On the decks there were lamps that made me look like a ghost. Worse than any facelight I ever saw.

Perrie Juran wrote:

And as far as I know, ALM is not enabled by default until you set to "ultra."

In latest Linden Lab viewer Second Life 3.6.4 (280048) you can enable Advanced Lighting Model when the graphics are in the middle between "Mid" and "High". So no need for Ultra setting. And there is no need to enable shadows.

In my computer enabling ALM has only very minimal effect to fps. In practise the effect is so small that one can notice it only by looking at the actual fps number while alternating between ALM on and ALM off.

When I installed this viewer ALM was on by default. This whether it is on or by default depends on the computer capabilies.

this is the nlight on medium setting with advanced lighting on a normal midnight....

Snapshot_004.jpg

nothing intrusive at all about that. It just smoothes out the face a little.

Much worse is full bright hair you sometimes see.

Really bright facelights are ugly and intrusive, but more subtle ones have their place even with windlight.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.