This is it! Project Sunshine Goes Grid-Wide!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3922 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is it! Project Sunshine Goes Grid-Wide!

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Deploys-for-the-week-of-2013-08-19/td-p/2148669

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Project-Sunshine-Goes-Grid-Wide/ba-p/2148427

Project Sunshine Goes Grid-Wide!

by on ‎08-19-201312:09 PM

This week, the server component of Project Sunshine will go live across the entire grid! This means that all the improvements we discussed in our previous post will be available to everyone in Second Life.

It’s important to remember that you need to be using an up-to-date Viewer to enjoy these improvements. If you’re still using an outdated Viewer, the server-side changes rolling out now will cause you to see some avatars as broken or incomplete. As of this week, all avatars will be using the new system and will appear broken to you if you don't update. 

If you haven’t already, please update your Viewer now and enjoy Sunshine!

Catch a look at what Project Sunshine has to offer here.

Are you all ready?

Sunshine.png

I only PRAY this helps the horrible framerate drop I've been getting lately with rendering avatars. It was only once they introduced the new SSA code (unused) that  I started getting this extreme drop in framerate tot he point where everything jerks to a stand still (and sometimes freezes my viewer). I'm thinking it was a conflict with the code but I'm not sure. But it's deffinatly since SSA code was added for sure. It's not like I have a complete crap computer either. I have a low end gaming dell desktop with 8gigs of ram and viewers set to low medium sooo doubt it's that. If anyone has any ideas though I'm all ears.:/

Carl Thibodeaux wrote:

I just hope I can survive; My internet sucks.

:(

Carl, in your case the number of transaction exchanges your SL Session will need to perform for avatar appearance activities with the Server will go down. This one of the major points of Project Sunshine.

Keep the faith.

Alicia Chenaux wrote:

Not gonna lie, I was already kind of giggling a bit at a group chat tonight with
some people who had NEVER heard of Project Sunshine
.  I can only hope they're on up to date viewers or tomorrow is going to be a huge shock for them! :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

You can include me in that number. This post is the first time I can recall seeing that name. I'm not a blog reader and by far the vast majority of what LL news I get is from links posted in the Forum. I've been reading about server-side avatar baking for months (and have been running a viewer capable of handling that almost since one became available), but I don't ever recall seeing it referenced as 'Project Sunshine'. 

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Alicia Chenaux wrote:

Not gonna lie, I was already kind of giggling a bit at a group chat tonight with
.  I can only hope they're on up to date viewers or tomorrow is going to be a huge shock for them! :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

You can include me in that number. This post is the first time I can recall seeing that name. I'm not a blog reader and by far the vast majority of what LL news I get is from links posted in the Forum. I've been reading about server-side avatar baking for months (and have been running a viewer capable of handling that almost since one became available), but I don't ever recall seeing it referenced as 'Project Sunshine'. 

The As-You-Login Splash Screens that you see as you start your session have had links to blogs regarding SSB, SSA & Sunshine for months. Of course Linden Lab can't make the account holders click on the link to read the material. The SL Viewer Splash Page has had a Viewer Warning for 6+ weeks which you can also use to read details about the Project Sunshine.

sunshine.jpg

EDIT: On top of these in your face reminders, at least 2 emails have been sent to the registered account email addresses over the past several months regarding this project. [ I checked my email folder history and I was mistaken, The emails I was remembering were sent from old Community Forum posts regarding Project Sunshine. These came from both the General Discussion Forum and the Server Technology Forum. thank you Czari for making me look :D]

I'm still amazed that people have not heard about this upgrade. I'm sure we are going to have to field a number of OMG - What Happened posts starting today and for a few weeks to come.

Pouring a strong cup of tea and diving into the posts in the SL Answers Forum...

Oh, I'd HEARD of the upgrade, read what was involved, and upgraded my viewer as suggested. I thought I'd made that clear.

I just don't recall seeing the upgrade referenced as 'Project Sunshine'. I don't use the LL viewer; I don't believe Firestorm has put that name on their splash screen but it wouldn't matter much anyway—if I look at anything on that page it is to see if my version is current. I'm already typing my password and clicking 'Home' before it finishes loading most of the time.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Alicia Chenaux wrote:

Same here, Dillon.  When this was first discussed it was called SSB (Server Side Baking).  Later I began seeing SSA, which sounds like some kind of para-military group.  I posted asking if SSA was the same as SSB and was told it was and the reason the acronyms changed, but now I forget...lol.  THEN I start seeing "Project Sunshine" in the forums just recently.

I'm at the point of "Too many new things in one year" fatigue to get too excited over this. 

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

On top of these in your face reminders, at least 2 emails have been sent to the registered account email addresses over the past several months regarding this project.

I have never received an email from LL re: Project Sunshine/SSA/SSB/Whatever.  I received a lot of them during the MP change to Direct Delivery so I do receive emails from LL.

Do you work for LL by any chance?

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Oh, I'd HEARD of the upgrade, read what was involved, and upgraded my viewer as suggested. I thought I'd made that clear.

I just don't recall seeing the upgrade referenced as 'Project Sunshine'. I don't use the LL viewer; I don't believe Firestorm has put that name on their splash screen but it wouldn't matter much anyway—if I look at anything on that page it is to see if my version is current. I'm already typing my password and clicking 'Home' before it finishes loading most of the time.

Ahhh - Good Point - I forget that the LL Login Splash Page is not universally displayed by TPVs -

Czari Zenovka wrote:

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

On top of these in your face reminders, at least 2 emails have been sent to the registered account email addresses over the past several months regarding this project.

I have never received an email from LL re: Project Sunshine/SSA/SSB/Whatever.  I received a lot of them during the MP change to Direct Delivery so I do receive emails from LL.

Do you work for LL by any chance?

No, I don't work for Linden Lab.  I checked my email folder history and I was mistaken, The emails I was remembering were sent from old Community Forum posts regarding Project Sunshine. These came from both the General Discussion Forum and the Server Technology Forum.

I did see all the MarketPlace emails from Linden Lab however

BTW - I'm amazed at the lack of SL Answers posts regarding Project Sunshine's Deployment. So far a single question.

I'm headed to work this morning and will check in later to see what develops. [ crossing my fingers that this is one of the better large scale deployments by LL ]

And we do old pc users so far we lived in secondlife,??? we can not buy another PC, because older viewers updated with the new SSA, and everyone will be happy not only new pc users.
Nobody remembers users with less purchasing power and so far we were happy.
Until recently there was no need SSE2 and many pc can not be upgrade the processor to have that application, we have to continue using the V1 viewers.
So hard is to implement SSA in ancient viewers that many of us use those viewers because we can not use the new.
I do not know if you know this but esistimos many pc users that are older but perfectly but do not see the mesh for lack of any use SSE2.
Regards, and not all that easy for everyone, some are not happy now, we can not see our husband and friends. : (

////////////

Y que hacemos los usuarios con pc antiguos que hasta ahora  viviamos en secondlife, ??? no podemos comprar otro pc, porque no actualizan los visores antiguos con el nuevo SSA, y todos seremos felices no solo los usuarios con pc  nuevos.
Nadie se acuerda de los usuarios con menos poder adquisitivo y que hasta ahora eramos felices.
Hasta hace poco no era necesario SSE2  y muchos pc no se  les puede actualizar el procesador para tener esa aplicacion, tenemos que seguir usando los visores V1.
Tan dificil es implantar SSA en los visores antiguos se que somos muchos los que usamos esos visores porque no podemos usar los nuevos.
No se si esto lo sabeis muchos pero esistimos usuarios con pc que aunque de mayor edad  estan perfectamente aunque no veamos los mesh por falta de la aplicacion SSE2.
Un saludo, y no es todo tan facil para todos, algunos no somos ahora felices, ya no podemos ver a nuestro esposo y amigos.  :(

While my main puter was being fixed I was using an old laptop that I am sure is much behind yours. Using graphics at minimum, using CoolViewer or Singularity, reducing the viewer's window to 1024 instead of maximized, I was capable to reach fps ranging between 8-15 (maximized I had 2-6 fps). Enough to have fun in SL, although I couldn't drive a vehicle (I love to sail in SL).

Vania Chaplin wrote:

While my main puter was being fixed I was using an old laptop that I am sure is much behind yours. Using graphics at minimum, using CoolViewer or Singularity, reducing the viewer's window to 1024 instead of maximized, I was capable to reach fps ranging between 8-15 (maximized I had 2-6 fps). Enough to have fun in SL, although I couldn't drive a vehicle (I love to sail in SL).

I ran into this same thing before I got my new PC.  The last upgrade I was able to purchase for the former PC (new motherboard & graphics card) prior to RL health & financial issues were apparently right before SEE2 became standard in the CPU (iirc).  When I stated I could not see mesh because I could not run any of the newer viewers that utilize SEE2, I was told by many well-meaning friends to try one of the lighter viewers.  In the case of mesh, it wasn't the viewer that was the main issue, but my PC not having the chip with SEE2, thus not able to even run the lighter viewers. I had to c/p the section from the CoolVL Viewer website to someone where it stated a PC had to be SEE2 enabled to run it before they would believe me.

At the time I was using the last pre-mesh Phoenix viewer, ran the lowest possible graphics, and the highest I could have my draw distance if I wanted to move was 64m.  People wearing mesh looked...interesting.  I was blessed to be gifted money so I could purchase a new PC but, if I'm understanding correctly, Project Sunshine/SSB/SSA also needs the SEE2-enabled chip in the PC and I *think* that is what brujamai is referring to. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3922 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.