For Those Who Told Me Installing a Graphics Card Was Easy....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

....six hours, reading manuals, two calls to the card manufacturer's customer support, a lot of frustration, and a bruised knee (don't ask)....the graphics card is still not installed!  :matte-motes-confused:

I purchased a NVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB SC card from EVGA.  The card itself is quite large both in length and depth.  I re-watched a video I had viewed previously re: how to install a graphics card.  Although there are four PCI-e slots on my PC MB only one of them can be used for this card due to a combination of its size, a large (in size) power supply on the bottom and the CPU heat sink fan on top.  Just trying to maneuver the card itself within the case between the wires while making sure not to touch the circuitry was tricky.  When I finally accomplished that and poked out the two back slot covers (the case has the type of expansion slots that once the cover is removed it can't be replaced since it snaps off) then reinserted the card to install it, I discovered one of the slots I'd poked out was the wrong one. I poked out the correct one but now I'll have an open slot with no way to cover it. (I already tried one of the screw-in type of slot covers from my old PC - no way they fit.) :matte-motes-mad:

Ok, will deal with that later...somehow.  Installed the graphics card but, due to the case's extension slot system not having any support, the card was a little wobbly.  I scavenged two screws from my old PC and screwed on in on the card slot and one below as a little bit of support.  The holes on the new case are larger than the screws on the old case so they didn't really hold the card securely, but better than without.  Finally plugged in all the peripherals, then finally got to the monitor plug and...of four possible plug-ins on the card, none of them fit my standard monitor plug.  HUH??????   After spending a frustrating and futile few minutes trying to insert a square peg into a different size square peg, I thought perhaps the issue was that the plug-ins were a little low on the outside due to the case's lack of support to the card.  Unplugged everything, went back to the work area, took out the graphics card and had the same lack of success.  Ok, this *is* a graphics card meant to plug into a monitor, so what the heck???  I read the appropriate sections of the manual (that basically said "Once the graphics card is installed, insert the monitor plug into the appropriate plug" - or words to that effect) I called customer service.

CS: "Oh, there is a DVI-to-VGA adapter included with the card."

Me: "The only thing included besides the manual was the power supply adapter thingy."

CS: "What is the serial number of your card?"  (after supplying the info) "Oh, that one doesn't come with the adapter apparently."

We then had a brief discussion on why the card itself doesn't have the plug on it, which is still beyond me...I mean, has technology leaped so far that now monitors are obsolete and everyone is plugging their PC into the HDMI slot on their high def. TV's?????

CS then tried to register the card for me so that he could place an order to have the adapter sent  out.  I've been needing to buy a new phone as the battery life of the one I have is nil and tends to die after about 15 minutes, which it did in the middle of the registration.  Fortunately I keep a wired phone handy in case I lose electricity so called back on that phone and luckily got the same CS rep. who then discovered I first had to register on the website because his system wouldn't let him complete a registration for me.

Reassembled the PC - again - so that I could get online, complete the registration, and call to CS again.  Different rep. but still very helpful.  Adapter ordered and should arrive in a week.

Needless to say my first experience with installing a graphics card was less than auspicious.  I didn't have as much difficulty replacing a HD in my old PC with the jumpers and ribbon cables and such.

Other than primarily venting, what IS the deal with graphics cards not having a VGA (I suppose that's it) plug in?  The new MB does.  Does this vary between graphics cards manufacturers, different model types of cards, etc.?  I thought I had done my research in "things to watch out for" but I never saw this one coming.

Now what to do about that gaping extension slot hole...well three of them until I receive the adapter.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not many use VGA monitor plugins any more lol. Its all about high def and flat screens lol

Most cards usualy come with an adapter. My Nvidia did. but that was many years ago

I guess it helps knowing what you have to work with before you shop may make it easier. and of course no disrespect meant

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Not many use VGA monitor plugins any more lol. Its all about high def and flat screens lol

I guess it helps knowing what you have to work with before you shop may make it easier.

My monitor is a flat screen, probably two years old.  I also did a good six months research prior to deciding on a PC and about another month alone making a graphics card decision.  Trust me, I'm not laughing...glad it amused you.

ETA:  According to the CS rep., that manufacturer normally includes the necessary adapter; apparently the neglect for this was on them.

Sorry you are having that problem and it's not funny. I think everyone that reads this forum knows how much research you put into deciding on your pc and card. I also doubt you don't know what you're working with.. I am not sure why manufactures mess up, my card came with everything, over a year ago and the monitor also had adapters which is also over a year old.

As far as the slot cover, I would take the one and use electrical tape on the inside (will be tricky maybe someone can hold the cover for you on the outside) and tape it inside the cover. It should stay as I had a case before that I did that with. Hope you get the adapter soon they should 2 day it to you.

Malanya wrote:

As far as the slot cover, I would take the one and use electrical tape on the inside (will be tricky maybe someone can hold the cover for you on the outside) and tape it inside the cover. It should stay as I had a case before that I did that with. Hope you get the adapter soon they should 2 day it to you.

Good suggestion re: the slot cover.  I live alone so will have to attempt that solo.  Re: the adapter, yes, they should have sent it 2-day but instead I will get it "In about a week." 

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

I guess it helps knowing what you have to work with before you shop may make it easier.

My monitor is a flat screen, probably two years old.  I also did a good six months research prior to deciding on a PC and about another month alone making a graphics card decision.  Trust me, I'm not laughing...glad it amused you.

ETA:  According to the CS rep., that manufacturer normally includes the necessary adapter; apparently the neglect for this was on them.

If your monitor is two years old, it should have HDMI or at least DVI on the back. You do NOT want to go from your graphics card to a VGA connector on the back of your monitor. That forces the graphics card to convert the digital video into analog, and the monitor to de-digitize it again.

What connectors are on the back of your monitor? The EVGA specs list both HDMI and DVI on the back of the card.

We get the DVI vs VGA thing so often at work we always have adaptors available, but in my opinion the two sides involved (monitor makers and video output device makers) have gotten a bit out of synch.

It seems that the video people just assume you'll have a DVI capable monitor, and the monitor people just assume you'll have a VGA option on your video device. As you found out, that's not the way things are working right now. There really should be a DVI to VGA adaptor shipped with any DVI only device, in my opinion. It sounds like there was supposed to be one with yours but somehow it got missed.

I do hope you get everything working. I know you said don't ask, but....a bruised knee?

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

If your monitor is two years old, it should have HDMI or at least DVI on the back. You do NOT want to go from your graphics card to a VGA connector on the back of your monitor. That forces the graphics card to convert the digital video into analog, and the monitor to de-digitize it again.

What connectors are on the back of your monitor? The EVGA specs list both HDMI and DVI on the back of the card.

Ooooooooooo!!!!!!  It DOES have an HDMI connector (version 1.1 if that makes a difference).  It is hard to even find the power plug-in and the VGA plug-in on this model, so I never noticed the HDMI one.  One of my father's friends gave my father this monitor when he purchased an All-in-One PC; then he moved out of country, gave that PC to my father, and I inherited this one.  I was just given the monitor alone by my father and used the power cord and VGA plug in from my smaller monitor because they are the same manufacturer and work fine.

Sooooo, now I need to see if my father still has those connectors.  If not, is an HDMI connector something that is standard, meaning can I buy one at most PC shops?

Whew!!!  Thank you, Maddy!

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Ooooooooooo!!!!!!  It DOES have an HDMI connector (version 1.1 if that makes a difference).  It is hard to even find the power plug-in and the VGA plug-in on this model, so I never noticed the HDMI one.  One of my father's friends gave my father this monitor when he purchased an All-in-One PC; then he moved out of country, gave that PC to my father, and I inherited this one.  I was just given the monitor alone by my father and used the power cord and VGA plug in from my smaller monitor because they are the same manufacturer and work fine.

Sooooo, now I need to see if my father still has those connectors.  If not, is an HDMI connector something that is standard, meaning can I buy one at most PC shops?

All you'll need is a standard HDMI cable. The question is where to get one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. BestBuy is probably NOT the place to go. Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart will have lower prices.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

We get the DVI vs VGA thing so often at work we always have adaptors available, but in my opinion the two sides involved (monitor makers and video output device makers) have gotten a bit out of synch.

It seems that the video people just assume you'll have a DVI capable monitor, and the monitor people just assume you'll have a VGA option on your video device. As you found out, that's not the way things are working right now. There really should be a DVI to VGA adaptor shipped with any DVI only device, in my opinion. It sounds like there was supposed to be one with yours but somehow it got missed.

I do hope you get everything working. I know you said don't ask, but....a bruised knee?

Based on what Maddy said I shouldn't use the adaptor, but sounds like your business does so is the concern mainly for HD graphics like SL?

Re: the knee...I worked on the PC in the kitchen to avoid static since it is a hard surface instead of carpeting.  My old PC is currently sitting on the floor of the kitchen and apparently I leaned on my knee wrong while down there (and at 5'10" it's a long way down!) scavenging parts.  I didn't mention the cut on my lower leg.  I placed the side panel of the new PC underneath the kitchen bar and had the new PC up on the bar.  I thought I had placed the panel flush against the counter back but found out I hadn't when my calf made contact with the sharp edge of the panel.

Installing a graphics card is also dangerous. :matte-motes-agape:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

All you'll need is a standard HDMI cable. The question is where to get one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. BestBuy is probably NOT the place to go. Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart will have lower prices.

Yeaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

*HUGS*

I would never have even thought to look for an HDMI outlet.

You can buy HDMI cables at most any store that sells TVs or other electronics (even WalMart). They'll all work the same (assuming the cable isn't defective). Big box stores will rip you off selling fancy HDMI cables ... just get whatever is cheapest. If you can wait a few days you can find HDMI cables online for far less than at any local store.

ETA: Maddy was far quicker than me - as usual.

Parhelion Palou wrote:

You can buy HDMI cables at most any store that sells TVs or other electronics (even WalMart). They'll all work the same (assuming the cable isn't defective). Big box stores will rip you off selling fancy HDMI cables ... just get whatever is cheapest. If you can wait a few days you can find HDMI cables online for far less than at any local store.

ETA: Maddy was far quicker than me - as usual.

I still greatly appreciate your reply, Parhelion. :)  I was going to ask a follow-up question to Maddy but since you're here :matte-motes-big-grin: - On the back of my PC the HDMI plug is labeled, amazingly enough, "HDMI" but in tiny lil writing under the plug it says HDMI v 1.1.  I did a quick read about HDMI cables and see that there are newer versions.  Will that be an issue?

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Based on what Maddy said I shouldn't use the adaptor, but sounds like your business does so is the concern mainly for HD graphics like SL?

Re: the knee...I worked on the PC in the kitchen to avoid static since it is a hard surface instead of carpeting.  My old PC is currently sitting on the floor of the kitchen and apparently I leaned on my knee wrong while down there (and at 5'10" it's a long way down!) scavenging parts.  I didn't mention the cut on my lower leg.  I placed the side panel of the new PC underneath the kitchen bar and had the new PC up on the bar.  I thought I had placed the panel flush against the counter back but found out I hadn't when my calf made contact with the sharp edge of the panel.

Installing a graphics card is also dangerous. :matte-motes-agape:

Yes to the HD graphics, something not necessary for most of our stuff (if the end user wants high def, that's fine: we just need to make sure the system works). With DVR systems lately we've been seeing controllers with DVI only.

Knee and elbow pads. Leather gloves. And above all: a hard hat. Goggles wouldn't hurt, either. PC modding is serious stuff!:smileywink:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I still greatly appreciate your reply, Parhelion.
:)
  I was going to ask a follow-up question to Maddy but since you're here :matte-motes-big-grin: - On the back of my PC the HDMI plug is labeled, amazingly enough, "HDMI" but in tiny lil writing under the plug it says HDMI v 1.1.  I did a quick read about HDMI cables and see that there are newer versions.  Will that be an issue?

If the card says 1.1, virtually any HDMI cable should work with it. There are fancier cables that also carry Ethernet and 4K HDTV. You don't need that.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I was going to ask a follow-up question to Maddy but since you're here :matte-motes-big-grin: - On the back of my PC the HDMI plug is labeled, amazingly enough, "HDMI" but in tiny lil writing under the plug it says HDMI v 1.1.  I did a quick read about HDMI cables and see that there are newer versions.  Will that be an issue?

If the card says 1.1, virtually any HDMI cable should work with it. There are fancier cables that also carry Ethernet and 4K HDTV. You don't need that.

Updated good news - contacted my father and he has extra HDMI cables so I won't have to buy one!  Woot!!!  The day is looking up!

(But if I hadn't posted to vent - I would NEVER have known this monitor has an HDMI port!!!)

Perrie Juran wrote:

hazardous waste.jpg

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Knee and elbow pads. Leather gloves. And above all: a hard hat. Goggles wouldn't hurt, either. PC modding is serious stuff!:smileywink:

;)

I need one of those for everyday living.  My former husband used to call me "Crash Cop" - gives you an idea of my accident-proness. :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Updated good news - contacted my father and he has extra HDMI cables so I won't have to buy one!  Woot!!!  The day is looking up!

(But if I hadn't posted to vent - I would NEVER have known this monitor has an HDMI port!!!)

I wonder what I'll discover if I vent.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I wonder what I'll discover if I vent.

Me.

What an ordeal! You've done extremely well though.

The whole point about all this is tune into current tech level interactivity now, eg: buy a computer/modders/builders magazine once every 2 months,

Over time make a list as to what level of technology you want to run and keep that list updated over time and when new tech comes out.

I just got a second monitor running on a second HDMI output and wow! This graphics card is approximately 8 months old.

Of the 6 LCD/LEDs in this house all of them are now HDMI. It took 3 years to convince mum & siss that we wanted HDMI LOL! Now they are amazed at the quality of the visuals be it PC/TV/Disc and I don't even use a TV.

It will take prolly 12 months for you to become familiar with what is available and then you will know what goes with what etc etc. Its well worth investing the time to totally geek out. (a little bit)

:-)

You've apparently not read many of my posts here.  Some background for you:

*Was an Adjunct Professor and taught application software classes at a local Jr. College for twelve years, beginning when the first IBM PC clones came out (DOS-OS, 1 5.25 floppy disk drive).

*Wrote my own classes including one called "How to Buy a PC," parts of which ended up being published in our city's newspaper by permission.

*Was instrumental in our college being granted a contract by Disney University and was asked by Disney to be the lead instructor.

*My former PC was custom-built to my specifications at a local PC shop when money was no object for me.  I upgraded it over the years including a new MB, graphics card, replaced a couple of HD drives myself, etc.  I am convinced that the only reason I have been able to remain in SL with that PC this long is due to the quality and power of the components I chose the last time I was able to upgrade.

*Then "life happened."  I live with a chronic genetic illness I inherited from my biological father's side of the family which was controlled for over 20 years with medication that allowed me to live an active life, including returning to grad. school at age 40 and earning a Masters Degree in Mental Health Counseling, followed by working in this profession with Hospice.  However, without warning I became very ill and after it became apparent I was no longer able to work (as well as it being strongly recommended by my M.D. specialist) I unfortunately had to go on disability.  Thus began a completely new lifestyle from an active, well-educated, professional woman who made a good living to learning to live on an income that is sub-poverty level in the U.S.  When every penny counts, keeping a PC that works well for most tasks except not seeing mesh in SL becomes a low priority.

I say all of the above to indicate that "assuming" is generally not wise.  I found your post condescending, especially when you have no idea of anything about me and, as stated, have obviously read very few of my forum posts both on these and the old forums.  I can assure you I was "tuned into current tech" probably while you were still a child, if you were even born before 1981 when the IBM PC was released.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.