SL seems live and well

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

At one time, it was common for there to be over 70,000 people logged onto SL.

Don`t forget that 50,000 of those were bots :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

No they weren't.

a lot of them were, if you were to count the bots that are now logged in but not counted you'd still get those same numbers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are going well.

Not as well as in the beginning (if you only look at the amount of people using SL) but still pretty good, especially for a 10 year old online product.

But the future is going to be bright, lots of very interesting projects, improvements and other news in the pipeline.

jwenting wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

At one time, it was common for there to be over 70,000 people logged onto SL.

Don`t forget that 50,000 of those were bots :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

No they weren't.

a lot of them were
if you were to count the bots that are now logged in but not counted you'd still get those same numbers.

Yes, a lot of them were, but nowhere near the ludicrous 50,000 number that I responded to.

You'd do extremely well to get those same numbers in total avatars these days, never mind just bots. But I think you're saying that 5/7 of logged-in avatars are bots. So I say again, no they are not. They never have been.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Which Roman Empire and when exactly did it fall? Last I heard it was a billion strong.

I think you are getting confused between the guys who didn't bother obtaining consensus from the weak, and the similarly named paedophile protection organisation.

Awe . . . the former was doing fine until it stopped feeding Christians to the lions.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

/me imagines you observing the fall of the Roman Empire and commenting "Things seem well.  Land is bought and sold.  The people make things."

Which Roman Empire and when exactly did it fall? Last I heard it was a billion strong. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Um... the one in the WIKI?   I found this there:

The Roman Empire began to disintegrate in the late 4th century as invasions overwhelmed the capacity of the Empire to govern and mount a coordinated defense. Most chronologies place the end of the Western empire in 476, when Romulus Augustulus was forced to abdicate to the Germanic warlord Odoacer.[19] The empire in the East—known today as the Byzantine Empire, but referred to in its time as the "Roman Empire" or by various other names—ended in 1453 with the death of Constantine XI and the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Turks.[20]

The nice thing is if it's wrong you can correct the article yourself.

the military power of rome decreased, but the influence of rome thru the roman state church continued to be respected by rulers, affecting their decisions. that influence has survived thru history, and to this day, this roman centered ideology is one of the largest most influential organizations in the world.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

the military power of rome decreased, but the influence of rome thru the roman state church continued to be respected by rulers, affecting their decisions. that influence has survived thru history, and to this day, this roman centered ideology is one of the largest most influential organizations in the world.

"...one of the largest most influential organizations in the world"

Sure, if you exclude the following:

China, India, Pakistan, Iran,  North Korea, Uruguay, Venezuela, Cuba, Chechnya, Burma, Irian Jaya, Iraq, Turkey, and most of the South Bronx.  

PS Please define organization?  I've never heard of a Roman YMCA, but then again, I am not that well traveled in many parts of South America.

PPS  Imo, if 'it' was an organization with any real influence you might have considered a capital 'R'ome when referring to Rome and its influential ubiquity.

i dont intent to exclude other organizations that have affected millions of lives thru history, thats why i state that is one of the most, not the most.

an organization can be a group of people that work together for a common goal.

it doesnt have that much of an influence on me to be bothered if i dont write their name with a capital r.

You were just being tweaked (or trolled), Canaro. Your saying "one of the most" is quite correct. You made no assertion that it was most important or even that it was more important than any other. As it happens, the places mentioned in the response you got were, with the exception of China and to a lesser extent India, hardly a bump in the road of the world's culture compared to Rome.

Pakistan, Iran, Chechnya, Iraq, Irian Jaya (a small portion of Indionesia) are all Islamic, and without question Islam is and was a massive influence on the world's culture, but none of those countries/provinces are themselves notable for influencing world culture. Turkey is an Islamic country as well, but with a secular government (for now, anyway). North Korea is quite obviously nuttier than a fruitcake. Venezuala, Cuba, Uruguay, and the South Bronx are all equally important influences on the culture of the world. Not very, in my opinion. But that's just me.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

You were just being tweaked (or trolled), Canaro. Your saying "one of the most" is quite correct. You made no assertion that it was
most
important or even that it was more important than any other. As it happens, the places mentioned in the response you got were, with the exception of China and to a lesser extent India, hardly a bump in the road of the world's culture compared to Rome.

Pakistan, Iran, Chechnya, Iraq, Irian Jaya (a small portion of Indonesia) are all Islamic, and without question Islam is and was a massive influence on the world's culture, but none of those countries/provinces are themselves notable for influencing world culture. Turkey is an Islamic country as well, but with a secular government (for now, anyway). North Korea is quite obviously nuttier than a fruitcake. Venezuela, Cuba, Uruguay, and the South Bronx are all equally important influences on the culture of the world. Not very, in my opinion. But that's just me.

Yes Canoro, you just may find yourself being trolled.  Trolled for veracity.  China has 2 billion people... India has a billion and a half.  Those two countries account for over half the worlds population, and all in Asia.  The population of Indians and Chinese expats raises their numbers to almost 65% of the world population.  Rome got its politics and culture from the Greeks; so let us give credit where credit is due.  When was the last time you walked into a Chinese restaurant and ordered meatballs and spaghetti?      You mentioned millions in your post... the world population is exponentially greater than the number you quoted.  Try going to Mali or Sudan and order a Lasagna Primavera.  Perhaps, in Namibia, you can throw a quarter in the juke-box and play a Perry Como tune.  Not likely, in my opinion.  But that's just reality.   

i appreciate your intentions to clear things up, it shows you care that everyone has the most accurate information available.

i didnt mention the roman influence as the most influential in history, because probably, in the prehispanic civilzation there may have existed huge empires that we dont know about, because the europeans, influenced by the roman catholic church, destroyed most of their legacy.

it would be bold to assure that the catholic church has been the most influential organization that ever existed, taking into account that the christian beliefs started after the existence of christ.

i think we can agree that the catholic church has a huge influence around the world, and it has had an important role in the shaping of our civilization.

i agree that rome didnt invent politics, most governments are influenced by others before them, one great empire before them was the egyptians, who ruled a great area and left some traits of their culture in the places they dominated.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Yes Canoro, you just may find yourself being trolled.  Trolled for veracity.  China has 2 billion people... India has a billion and a half.  Those two countries account for over half the worlds population, and all in Asia.

Too many Manhattans, Mr. Veracity?

The population of greater China is approximately: 1,354,040,000

The population of India is somewhere north of: 1,210,193,422

The population of Earth is approximately: 7,121,247,290 (at the moment I checked).

China + India ≈ 2.6 Billion

Half the worlds population ≈ 3.5 Billion.

Have you confused veracity with intoxication?

For those who question my veracity, simply Google the following...

population of china

population of india

population of earth

You'll get 2011 data that's comfortably close to the figures I cited.

Canoro Philip's statement, which provoked the ever vigilant if not inebriated Mr. Veracity is: 

"the military power of rome decreased, but the influence of rome thru the roman state church continued to be respected by rulers, affecting their decisions. that influence has survived thru history, and to this day, this roman centered ideology is one of the largest most influential organizations in the world."

I don't think there's much argument that Rome's military power has decreased with respect to the rest of the world (which is the only reasonable interpretation of Canoro's statement).

Here's Wikipedia's breakdown of adherence to the World's major religions...

Religion Adherents
Christianity 2.1 billion
Buddhism* 376 million–1.7 billion
Islam 1.5 billion
Secular*/Nonreligious*/Agnostic/Atheist ≤ 1.1 billion
Hinduism 1.1 billion
Chinese traditional religion* 394 million
Primal-Indigenous religions 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic religions 100 million
Sikhism 28 million
Juche* 19 million
Spiritism 15 million
Judaism 14 million
Baha'i 7 million
Jainism 4.2 million
Shinto 4 million
Ravidassia 20 million
Cao Dai 4 million
Zoroastrianism 2.6 million
Tenrikyo 2 million
Neo-Paganism 1 million
Unitarian Universalism 800,000
Rastafarianism 600,000

I see nothing in that ranking to refute Canoro's statement. Does anyone else?

Canoro Philipp wrote:

i appreciate your intentions to clear things up, it shows you care that everyone has the most accurate information available.

Canoro, the information used to "clear things up" was wrong, as I revealed in another post in this thread. I'll leave you to consider whether this affects your understanding of, and appreciation for the intention.

;-)

Canoro Philipp wrote:

sometimes we have intentions to do things right, but that doesnt mean that our results are gonna be the right ones.

maybe storm will learn from your data, and offer it next time the topic comes out, with the intent that everyone gets the facts as they are.

The facts were very easy to get. If we don't question the intent, do we question the ability? It would be dangerous to question nothing.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

/me imagines you observing the fall of the Roman Empire and commenting "Things seem well.  Land is bought and sold.  The people make things."

Which Roman Empire and when exactly did it fall? Last I heard it was a billion strong. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Um... the one in the WIKI?   I found this there:

The Roman Empire began to disintegrate in the late 4th century as invasions overwhelmed the capacity of the Empire to govern and mount a coordinated defense. Most chronologies place the end of the Western empire in 476, when Romulus Augustulus was forced to abdicate to the Germanic warlord Odoacer.[19] The empire in the East—known today as the Byzantine Empire, but referred to in its time as the "Roman Empire" or by various other names—ended in 1453 with the death of Constantine XI and the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Turks.[20]

The nice thing is if it's wrong you can correct the article yourself.

There's an old saying "History is written by the winners" As Canoro said, Roman influence is with us today and what you quoted is a miniscule part of the whole story for an inattentive world. Granted, the western conception of history is jaded to align with their beliefs. The East doesn't share that perspective.

I not going to get into a big political, social or religious debate here or I could go on and on. Let’s just say different strokes for different folks. :matte-motes-wink:

Canoro Philipp wrote:

A good summarization; however if you change the word influence to affluence it would sharpen the perspective. In the end, an empire is the accumulation and centralization of wealth. That wealth and how it is distributed decides the society we and anyone else has lived in be it social, military or religious.

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws."

- Mayer Amschel Rothschild

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.