chui

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

elfprincess12 wrote:

do you mean the chat system? IF so I hate it, IDK how to switch between local, IM, or groups, I cant tell if someone is a Friend or not and it just plain
SUCKS
LL WHY THE HELL DID YOU CHANGE
THE CHAT LAYOUT IT WAS PERFECT
THE WAY IT WAS NOW IT IS JUST STUPID!!!!!!!!!

That's what a bunch of us "oldbies" were saying when LL released v2.  Yep, they never learn.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six Igaly wrote:

It is just another changing in a world full of people that has a phobia for changes. Ok, it is questionable if we need so many changes in a row. But it is not said every change is bad. 

Not all change is good.  There is positive change and negative change.  LL has done both in the past. 

Czari Zenovka wrote:

elfprincess12 wrote:

do you mean the chat system? IF so I hate it, IDK how to switch between local, IM, or groups, I cant tell if someone is a Friend or not and it just plain
SUCKS

That's what a bunch of us "oldbies" were saying when LL released v2.  Yep, they never learn.

Uggh Czari, now I am one of those oldbies complaining about change! Haha, I used to think it was so silly when long time users complained about changes to the viewer, now I understand :/

Qie Niangao wrote:

I've even seen complaints about screen real estate illustrated with screenshots that show the camera control window. Now that really is a horrible waste of space--and a horrible way to control the cam, too.

Hey now!!! Don't be 'dissin my camera controls...that and my ZHAO are mainstays on my viewer.  Whether it's a horrible way to control the cam is a matter of opinion *pauses* ummm...errrrrr...kind of like viewer preferences.  :matte-motes-bashful:

*Slinks slowly away from the thread*

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

elfprincess12 wrote:

SUCKS

Uggh Czari, now I am one of those oldbies complaining about change! Haha, I used to think it was so silly when long time users complained about changes to the viewer, now I understand
:/

It's like that in RL too.  Or so I hear. ;)

Torley the great has made videos on everything - Torley rocks :)

Having looked briefly at the CHUI this morning it does seem to work like Firestorm (I love tabbed chats) - the thing I find a little odd is the IM names at top of the panel - my name in the mix - local chat below that - the persons name in IM below that ...  that's confusing. 

My other observation is where I used plonk the chat on the left hand side of my screen - it's too big even with all of the minimize options.  I am not as old as some of you guys here, but I know what I like and I think this is a positive step in the right direction.

Thanks

Black

BlackMagi Darkwatch wrote:

Torley the great has made videos on everything - Torley rocks
:)

Having looked briefly at the CHUI this morning it does seem to work like Firestorm (I love tabbed chats) - the thing I find a little odd is the IM names at top of the panel - my name in the mix - local chat below that - the persons name in IM below that ...  that's confusing. 

My other observation is where I used plonk the chat on the left hand side of my screen - it's too big even with all of the minimize options. 
I am not as old as some of you guys here, but I know what I like and I think this is a positive step in the right direction.

Thanks

Black

So....let's see.....as you say the whole window is way too big even with all the minimize options, huh?

But you like that?!!!  It's a positive step in the right direction?!!   

It's a step in the wrong direction....off a cliff!

Well, in the end it is all about personal preferences. If you say it IS not good it means you decide that for me as well. I can tell you what I think is good about it.

1> Just one window in stead of 2.  

2> If I am talking in IM and someone else says something too, it shows for a short while in a pop up. This you can all change to your likings.

3> If I activated the 'Do not Disturb' feature, finally I won't be disturbed. No sounds, no text. I love that.

4> More options in preferences (reachable directly from communication window).

In fact, I believe most complaining I hear is about the size, not about the functions.

Name one thing that is good about it.

Flexibility.

As one example, I like being able to move a separate chatbar anywhere on the screen instead of it being locked to the bottom left.

It's also good to again be able to dock the local chat with the IM windows, or separate them, depending how many chats I'm managing simultaneously and the relative urgency of each. (I rarely last more than a few minutes in Firestorm, but I think it's long had this ability, right? or maybe I'm still thinking of Phoenix, which inherited it from the old V1 communications window--which was hugely controversial when it came out, too. Anyway, it was lacking in V2, and I missed it.)

I might not value flexibility so much if I still used toolbar buttons, but finally hiding all those opened up the screen and improved my enjoyment of SL a lot; I highly recommend it, with or without the CHUI.

(None of which prevents me from griping at every opportunity about the excessive blank-space padding of the CHUI windows. It makes them prettier as standalone windows, but totally trashes them both visually and functionally as a part of the overall viewer UI. What's amazing to me is that the designers don't see that; it sticks out like a sore thumb.)

Good points everyone, I am finding myself in agreement. I think you are right about the size throwing me off. Once I removed all my buttons I found I am enjoying it better. Now it is only a somewhat smaller pop up whenever a chat takes place, thanks for the suggestions!

Nope, they are not good points, whatsoever.  Your capitulation to the apologists and shills disappoints me.  Trust your instincts; a UI is supposed to be easy to use and non distracting from the game or virtual world it seeks to enhance.

Why should you have to remove the handy sidebar buttons,and type in a keyboard shortcut ( that actually takes longer to do than swiping and clicking an icon/button ) just to communicate in SL?!   Crazy.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Nope, they are not good points, whatsoever.  Your capitulation to the apologists and shills disappoints me.  Trust your instincts; a UI is supposed to be easy to use and non distracting from the game or virtual world it seeks to enhance.

Why should you have to remove the handy sidebar buttons,and type in a keyboard shortcut ( that actually takes longer to do than swiping and clicking an icon/button ) just to communicate in SL?!   Crazy.

Aw, you are so right :(

I am sorry I disappointed you, I was trying to make the best of this horrible situation.

Hoshi, I've seen many changes and some of the great innovations (where would we be now without SL?) as well as some of the more questionable decisions (namely V2), one of the many things I've learned about SL is that there are always options, don't forget this is your world to :)    If you're not happy with the viewer then there is always the TPV directory.  There is nothing to say that whatever tpv you choose to adopt won't port the settings directly into there own version of the viewer but perhaps their implementation will be better - who knows?!

Thanks

Black

Qie Niangao wrote:

Name one thing that is good about it.

Flexibility.

As one example, I like being able to move a separate chatbar anywhere on the screen instead of it being locked to the bottom left.

It's also good to again be able to dock the local chat with the IM windows, or separate them, depending how many chats I'm managing simultaneously and the relative urgency of each. (I rarely last more than a few minutes in Firestorm, but I think it's long had this ability, right? or maybe I'm still thinking of Phoenix, which inherited it from the old V1 communications window--which was hugely controversial when it came out, too. Anyway, it was lacking in V2, and I missed it.)

I was going to say...this feature has been available in whatever SL viewer I first used in 2007 before I switched to Nicholaz (which had the same function), then to Phoenix (which has this function).  I was scratching my head for a minute thinking...Ummmmm...HUH? lol

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

It is certainly a very bad situation, for sure.   What alarms me, even more than the debacle of CHUI, is the singular fact someone very high up at LL gave this the thumbs up.

Heaven help us.

Precisely why I quit using the official SL viewer a few months after I began in 2007.  Never looked back, except for checking out V2 when it first came out then immediately deleted it from my PC and have been happily using TPVs ever since.

THANK YOU to all TPV designers!!!

I haven't used the LL viewer in a long time. It took me some time to get used to the V2 interface but once I did, I loved it, and find it much easier and more common sense for me, so have used TPV with the same interface, my faves being Exodus and Catznip. The only thing I miss about the V1 style is the fixed chat bar at the bottom for local chat, that was nice.

Regardless, I hadn't even seen the official LL viewer in ages, but seeing this thread, I decided to download the latest version ... after watching that video. It really doesn't seem all that different to me than chatting normally, truth be told. I want to chat with someone, I go to my friends list and click on the name to open a chat, same as before. I close the chat the same way.  the interface, even with both panes open , is smaller than the default chat window that pops up with a regular IM session. I like the color coding to see what is active, and which is the open chat. I like the ease of adding people to a group chat, and when I move it and minimize it, it's barely noticed on my screen. The only difference that would take some getting used to is the vertical list instead of tabs. So it takes up less space than regular chat, is easy to use, it just is arranged a bit differently, I can't quite grasp what all the fuss is about, other than having to get used to the list view rather than tabs.

Perrie Juran wrote:

It does appear that the
is still open for
comments
Bug Reports.

Now CHUIBUG JIRA is closed:

"Permission Violation

It seems that you have tried to perform an operation which you are not permitted to perform.

If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators."

I think that this means:

1. Linden Lab does not want our bug reports on it any more.

2. As far as they are concerned:

CHUI is ready, works as designed and expected, no need to change anything any more. DONE.

(Well, they might still develop it over time - perhaps, but no input from the users is wanted.)

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

It does appear that the
is still open for
comments
Bug Reports.

"Permission Violation

It seems that you have tried to perform an operation which you are not permitted to perform.

If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators."

I think that this means:

1. Linden Lab does not want our bug reports on it any more.

2. As far as they are concerned:

CHUI is ready, works as designed and expected, no need to change anything any more. DONE.

(Well, they might still develop it over time - perhaps, but no input from the users is wanted.)

C.R.A.P.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

It does appear that the
is still open for
comments
Bug Reports.

C.R.A.P.

Hey. They are open again.  :smileyhappy:

Just now I was able to comment one CHUIBUG I made.  Perhaps yesterday there has been some glitch which prevented seeing the CHUIBUGS.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CHUIBUG-192

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

It does appear that the
is still open for
comments
Bug Reports.

C.R.A.P.

Hey.
They are open again.
  :smileyhappy:

Just now I was able to comment one CHUIBUG I made.  Perhaps yesterday there has been some glitch which prevented seeing the CHUIBUGS.

Can still comment on 'existing' issues but I couldn't create a new issue for CHUI Project.  Unless I am missing something. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.