Are Your Sales Going To Suffer Because Of Server Side Baking?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

By the time avatar baking rolls out, it will have been over 6 months since the first announcement... 

The first rumors of the system leaked in March of 2012.

There is nothing being added to the viewer that requires a hardware upgrade, at least with avatar baking. The pressure for hardware upgrades came when SSE2 capable CPU's were needed for mesh. Viewers were updating to SSE2 in June 2010. See: Imprudence Viewer Beta 5 Review.

Viewers without the updates will show grey avatars or clouds. Otherwise, they will still work. If you don't mind a world with grey avatars, no problem.

With about 2 years to upgrade and a contnious series of warnings about the need to upgrade, plus the general common knowledge that computers age and need to be upgraded, the current need to upgrade is not a surprise.

I doubt we will lose 20% of users.

I think a failure to update SL to better graphics and performance is likely to be a bigger detriment to player retention and merchant profits.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've recently gotten two clients new i3 laptops very nicely equiped for under US$400. 

Outlets for refurbished laptops have some nice i3 units for around $250.

Recycling centers that salavage and repair older computers have Core2 Quads for $100-$200.

Replacement motherboards with CPU and cooling fans are $20 to $100 on eBay. Video cards 2 or more years old are cheap.

If being in SL isn't worth $100 to $500 for computer upgrades that will carry you 3 to 7 years... I'm not sure why the rest of us should be held back for those people...

Nalates Urriah wrote:

I've recently gotten two clients new i3 laptops very nicely equiped for under US$400. 

Outlets for refurbished laptops have some nice i3 units for around $250.

Recycling centers that salavage and repair older computers have Core2 Quads for $100-$200.

Replacement motherboards with CPU and cooling fans are $20 to $100 on eBay. Video cards 2 or more years old are cheap.

If being in SL isn't worth $100 to $500 for computer upgrades that will carry you 3 to 7 years... I'm not sure why the rest of us should be held back for those people...

In this time of recession are you really going to spout off that people need to spend their tiny amount of extra money so "you aren't held back in SL"? How exactly does this new update to SL make your usage so awesome? it has yet to happen, even on the beta grid. so we have no idea if it will even work as expected. with LL in all likelihood it will break instantly.

The standard low end i3 laptop that you describe will not run SL any better than a 7 year old PC. integrated graphics do not have the punch that you need.

lack of funds to upgrade computers is not the issue. finding a replacement viewer for phoenix is. many people like how it runs and is set up. The Firestorm team needs to make a how to on having firestorm look like phoenix.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

If I have a choice between "those people" and your kind of person, I'll take them thanks.  I have no desire for sl to decline anymore than it has and certainly making SL basement boy material will do that. 

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

The Firestorm team needs to make a how to on having firestorm look like phoenix.

They did when they introduced Firestorm it covers how to customize the UI to make it most usable for you.  Among other things it covers is how to set the UI to look very much like Phoenix.. 

As  a side note, I have encouraged many friends that used Phoenix to try Firestorm.  Just about every one of them say they now get better performance from it. Some after watching that vid decided to go with the newer UI and after a couple days of getting used to it like it much better.  So if you have a computer that can run Firestorm but are still using Phoenix, watch that vid and give it a try out.

PS:  The Phoenix team also has periodic classes on everything you want to know about using Firestorm.  Check the website for the dates and times.  If you don't see what you need right away check back from time to time.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

The Firestorm team needs to make a how to on having firestorm look like phoenix.

They did when they introduced Firestorm it covers how to customize the UI to make it most usable for you.  Among other things it covers is how to set the UI to look very much like Phoenix.. 

As  a side note, I have encouraged many friends that used Phoenix to try Firestorm.  Just about every one of them say they now get better performance from it. Some after watching that vid decided to go with the newer UI and after a couple days of getting used to it like it much better.  So if you have a computer that can run Firestorm but are still using Phoenix, watch that vid and give it a try out.

PS:  The Phoenix team also has periodic classes on everything you want to know about using Firestorm.  Check the website for the dates and times.  If you don't see what you need right away check back from time to time.

Thank you again for the great info!  I did know there was a Phoenix skin for Firestorm, but I appreciate the link for the video. ;)

Pamela Galli wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Did you look for one before making this suggestion?

yes i did.. there is one from 2 years ago in the archives... I meant that with Phoenix going to be obsolete in a very short time they may want to make a new one and post it a few times on their site.

Would it kill them to promote a way for their Phoenix users to make an easy switch?

can you come off any more snide?

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Did you look for one before making this suggestion?

yes i did.. there is one from 2 years ago in the archives... I meant that with Phoenix going to be obsolete in a very short time they may want to make a new one and post it a few times on their site.

Would it kill them to promote a way for their Phoenix users to make an easy switch?

can you come off any more snide?

You know, you will not find any more conscientious and dedicated people that the Firestorm/Phoenix team. They are paid nothing for their efforts. They do not OWE you anything. And yet people like you regularly come along and act like they are somehow derilict in their duties -- even WHEN THEY HAVE ALREADY HAVE DONE THE VERY THING YOU ARE CRITICIZING THEM FOR NOT DOING.

unfortunatley that video is very out of date and there are many many more tabs and things in Firestorm. i have only ever used phoenix/firestorm viewers and emerald before that.

to make firestorm look like phoenix you set the skin to vintage in preferences before logging in.. then restart the viewer, set the default settings drop down next to the log in button to Phoenix and you are all set.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

unfortunatley that video is very out of date and there are many many more tabs and things in Firestorm. i have only ever used phoenix/firestorm viewers and emerald before that.

to make firestorm look like phoenix you set the skin to vintage in preferences before logging in.. then restart the viewer, set the default settings drop down next to the log in button to Phoenix and you are all set.

Ah ok.  *Updates my info*  Thank you, Drake :)

Learning the graphics tab settings and maybe even your GPU makers settings program may help a lot. Sometimes it is one checkbox away from working! YOu turn something off and it all works OK enough! Seriously sad though, it seemed to get better and now it is worse than before. The last few updates are bad, I went from being able to use shadows to it now crashing. This is a cycle that repeats over and over.....maybe it is a SL/ATI  issue. I should try rolling back drivers and so on, but that is a big hastle and the recent issue was the viewer....and they blocked the viewers requiring an upgrade! I mean, not blocked like the banned viewers....3.2.x LL series viewers are now not allowed, I HAD to get the newer one. Sadly, it doesn't work well with graphics and I can't disable textures.....could be just me though, or should I say people 'attacking' me, vigilently harrassing me. *shrugs* love will find way, and love is a pathetic excuse to live....I breath, therefore I fix things and carry on...sort of...OK< this stinks and I might as well quit soon. Hhmnpf /me feels like barfing but eats more despite wondering if I have diabetes and will go into a coma tonight. HI! Nice day today!!!! HI!!!

If you need money to buy gear and have no money, there is always crowdsourcing work that you can earn with. Amazons offerings even include an account that you can use at a few places or at least thier own site. I don't know if it is only Amazons site, but I think you can get gift cards for amazon and don't have to have a bank account attached....I think. Not sure these days. I used it a while back for some books and other stuff you can find at amazon (food, though it is in bulk is the only bargains I saw lol) and...uh, yea....it works, but wow the hours you need to put in to get stuff! The pay is usually working out to be less than 2$ an hour. If it was at 3$ I wouldn't be here now wasting my time wishing I was dead. So...yeah, I know it is hard to get hardware sometimes. SL money helped with two GPU cards so far. Waiting for sales means I got each for less than $50, AGP cards are very hard to find these days though. If you don't like banking info being online, then a few places will actually accept checks or certificates of deposit via mail even! In the old days you could even get SLExchange to send a cheeck to you, no bank needed for SL! These days it is different I guess, so friends, nerve, annoyance or whatever works for you will make it easy for you to roll your eyes at the craziness and just deal with it....even if you work a week clicking BS and falling asleep with sheer boredom. Shame we can't buy GPU cards with LInden Dollars. Ah, typing practice done....this is way way to much text and to much information. Back to death now, back to the ponderings and back to cookies....ah....none left....a pound of sugar and junk....dinner done I guess. Interesting. Hhm. Well. Alright...uh....hhm. Bye!

300?   Wouldn't get me a notebook where I live and customs is very vigilent in identifying and charging import duty on internationally purchased electronics.  Not that they will tell you how much that duty will be before the item arrives in the country and they slap the fee on.  You just have to take a wild guess as to whether it will be 10s or 100s of dollars.

• 1 month later...

A bit naive and something someone with a great gaming PC might say.  Truth is, everyone cannot upgrade.  It's not that simple.  The economy sucks. People are losing jobs. Gas prices are rising again. People need to put gas in their cars and food on their tables more than in a new PC so they can play a game.  If all viewers break and I still can not use V3 (an interface I absolutely hate) on my "current" PC as is...I'll be moving permanently to another world. I already have a presence in another world. But I would hate to give up my friends, inventory, and store in SL.  LL doesn't seem to give a damn about the little guy (who IS spending money in SL by the way).  Already a lot of wonderful builders have left for more player friendly worlds.

the new changes announced are a silly rush on LL`s part, being that still today alot of people hate and cant work with mesh

due to the alpha problems.

i say they should of fixed issues like this before rolling out another big change.

because the way they are going is down,  as figures show from only a few years back now. when you login there is half the ammount of people online ingame to that what used to be back then.

they need to be extremely careful today after losing alot of none profit companies recently from land price changes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.